My 1.8T 20v Conversion

grantmax

Hahaaaa that's a hell of alot more than i've got!

Just think of the end product :wub: Sleeper lupo!

ha ha, well alot is learning by doing. One thing I can take from this though is not to be scared to take things on yourself. If it doesn't workout, there is normally someone, especially on here that will give you I hand.

... trust me, sleeper lupo.... CANNOT wait!

• 2 weeks later...

ok, so again it has been a while since I have had an update!partially me being lazy and partially me being quite busy.

so got the new flywheel and lupo gti pedal box.

the reason for the gti pedal box is so that it is a fly by wire and it also has an hydraulic clutch!

Firstly, got a special delivery today .. one that I have kept from you guys :) .....

SDC10820.jpg

SDC10819.jpg

got my interior back from the merc retrimmers... a very nice job might I add!!!

I also left this chap in the back ....

SDC10822.jpg

glad to have him back :D

so we decided to mock up the engine and start the welding...

firstly, me lifting the engine into place ...

SDC10824.jpg

IT FITS ...... JUST!!!

SDC10827.jpg

we then decided that it would be a good Idea to fit the pedal box to secure the brake servo so we would know how the engine would sit against the brake resevoir as it seemed close.

following this the pedal box didnt fit quite as planned, ended up cutting a hole in the bulk head for the hydraulic clutch cable haha!(forgot to take pics of this!)

then we started hacking into the engine bay! ...

my best mate cutting the excisting engine mount bracket out.

SDC10828.jpg

SDC10830.jpg

got this in the post today!!

SDC10831.jpg

my wiring loom!!!

SDC10832.jpg

SDC10833.jpg

thought you may like to see how the inside of my car is looking now!

SDC10816.jpg

Thats all for now, we are slowly getting there, just have to work out where to boost pipes will be going now!

and the engine should be all mocked up with its mounts on friday! .... I'll let you know how that goes!!!

see you all soon!

Grant.

Looks to be coming together nicely acr is round the corner from me great guys who know their stuff

• 2 weeks later...

no excuses this time, I have just been lazy! haha...

anyway,we have been making god progress and have the first mount in :D.... and the engine all lined up not to forget!

so here are the pics...

cutting and welding..

IMG-20110628-00028.jpg

IMG-20110628-00027.jpg

I bought the mk4 mounting point so it now looks like this..

IMG-20110628-00032.jpg

and fits like this....

IMG-20110628-00031.jpg

and the engine will sit like this :D

IMG-20110628-00026.jpg

IMG-20110628-00025.jpg

IMG-20110628-00024.jpg

not much else to say really, only that I hope the engine is sitting by itsdelf at the end of the next week... so fingers crossed please everyone!!

Grant.

I'm going to be doing the same as this at the moment.

Just a few questions :)

With the engine mounts, where did you get the steel mount from that the main mount is located on. Was it fabricated or off another car.

How did you use mock up the correct engine location. Cheeky tape measure?

And roughly without being rude how much are you paying to get the loom sorted and are you running a demobilised ecu.

Last but not least what's the deal with the drive shafts and cv's.

Thanks chap - can't wait to get this done.

I'm going to be doing the same as this at the moment.

Just a few questions :)

With the engine mounts, where did you get the steel mount from that the main mount is located on. Was it fabricated or off another car.

How did you use mock up the correct engine location. Cheeky tape measure?

And roughly without being rude how much are you paying to get the loom sorted and are you running a demobilised ecu.

Last but not least what's the deal with the drive shafts and cv's.

Thanks chap - can't wait to get this done.

I got it straight from VW £8! best £8 I ever spent!

as for the location I have looked at bunch of other conversions online and to be honest, there isnt really that much space so it is fairly easy to tell how and where it will sit when it is in there.

the loom was £450 from ACR (http://www.facebook.com/pages/ACR/125904530818797)

and yes I am running an immobilser defeat.

the passenger side driveshaft is all that need altering and I am sending it to a driveshaft company to be cus and welded for £110.

Hope that helps!

Hi mate don't suppuers u still got the oid engine

I do indeed, I am about to chuck it on ebay, however the valves may be bent. I dont have the time to check so it would be at your own risk.

sorry there has been no updates for a while, things are being done and will probably have something in the next couple of days!

Grant.

Ok so again it has been a little while but progress has been slow. Next week should be more productive!

so the updates ....

got my new battery cable and linked it to the back

IMG-20110716-00061.jpg

all the way!

Sevenoaks-20110716-00058.jpg

and I have also got my pedal box fitted all cosy :)

IMG-20110716-00062.jpg

and as the engine is in thought i shoudl show you guys the engine side mount all fnished

IMG-20110716-00060.jpg

IMG-20110716-00059.jpg

not tooo long to go guys! .. fingers crossed for it being fniished int he next few weeks :D

see you soon!

Grant.

• 1 month later...

hello chaps, yes yes i know,nothing has happened for ages, there are two reasons for this. Firstly my mate that welds had to concetrate on his mk1 as he was going round europe with us in it and secondly i have been going round europe haha! I am back now of course! ...... and as of sat we are back on track, progress should be quick from here on out as I REALLY wanna take it to players! ... so fingers crossed! speak soon!!!

Grant.

dont suppouse u got a part number for the mount from vw

hello mate, thanks for the kind words, I am not sure of the par number off the top of my head and I cant actually see it as it disappeared when we put it on my car lol .. will get it for you as soon as I can, just keep bugging me if I dont haha, otherwise I will forget!

Grant

lol cheers dude u progressed much

I have but my bloody camer has decided to break! soooo little update for you but onli via words unfortunatley!! .

Got tall the engine mounts done so the engine is sitting fine!

unfortunatley I have hit another cash barrier!

so I need a sandwich plate for my gearbox and also need a funny metal plate to make the clutch work!!

also turns out I need a different shifter so it fits the 5 speed box!

got the new flywheel on this eve, along with the cambelt new water pump and aux belt :) .... no updates for a while now kiddies, but will try get pics up!

Grant.

• 1 month later...

Hello chaps,

unfortunatley camera still isnt working. Times are slow too, just running into issue after issue.

few updates though...

All engine mounts are made!! woop woop!

got myself a new clutch just need a few missing peices from the bell housing arrangement then we can pop all that together.

I also managed to finally get hold of a passenger side hub, after failing with 5 for a number of different reasons!.... drove me crazy!

I am inthe process of wiring a block connector that fits onto my accelerator pedal.

I now have all my boost pips.... in red ;)

new battery box too!

oh nearly forgot, i have managed to custom weld my exhaust manifold/downpipe. I say me .... my best mate ...

just needing a tail pipe and driveshafts done ..... and then we are pretty much there!

HOPE to have some pics for you soon guys! ... also hope to have it finished soon!

Grant.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally sorted some pics for you guys! and have more updates! ... yay!!

so got home today, cuple of presents at my door again....

Sevenoaks-20111027-00099.jpg

and what could they be?

Sevenoaks-20111027-00101.jpg

new driveshafts! ... they will have to be cut and weld but they had the corrct inner CV joints andouter cv joints for my hubs and new flanges!

Sevenoaks-20111027-00102.jpg

new gearbox flanges to go with my driveshafts.... look ... they fit ...

Sevenoaks-20111027-00103.jpg

here we have the lower gearbox engine mount... a further work of art from my best mate ...

Sevenoaks-20111027-00104.jpg

also now fitted the shifter from the cupra!!

Sevenoaks-20111027-00105.jpg

new battery box, going in the boot, not fitted yet but it looks nice!

Sevenoaks-20111027-00106.jpg

FINALLY got a paasenger side hub that is the right size and not bloody broken!!!

Sevenoaks-20111027-00107.jpg

and now the REAL art that my friend steve created, a custom exhaust.... thing of beauty! ... i know I couldnt do it!

Sevenoaks-20110910-00043.jpg

Sevenoaks-20110910-00044.jpg

hopefully that will keep you guys amused for a little while ... drive shafts will be measured this weekend ..... but now, its the process of getting eveything together!

over and out!

Grant.

fair play to ya dude ive started doing mine now jut figurin out best place to pt mounts dont suppouse u got any better pics of ur mounts now there all finished

an also ya mate interested in doin another downpipe

ive got the brake set up off a Polo GTi, please tell me yours was a straight swap? Might give me the motivation to do mine if it is. . . :ermm:

fair play to ya dude ive started doing mine now jut figurin out best place to pt mounts dont suppouse u got any better pics of ur mounts now there all finished

an also ya mate interested in doin another downpipe

I can if you like dude, however I asked numerous time for the same information with people and it doesnt really help .. you gotta get stuck in and just do it ... while you whait for my pics ... norpan, another guy that has done a 1.8t... his thread even though in deutch has been help ... here is the link .... http://www.gtiklubbe...igen-%29/page17

ive got the brake set up off a Polo GTi, please tell me yours was a straight swap? Might give me the motivation to do mine if it is. . . :ermm:

yep straight swap, just get some gti tie rod ends .... doesnt cost much!

Grant

Edited by grantmax

ok , so another evening at work and a few updates!!! .....

Doing some work on her the other night, we had a sheared stud on the turbo where it connects to the downpipe. Should be a simple fix, just weld some metal on and twist the little Sh** out. Quite the opposite. The bolt sheared again and is now firmly stuck in there. after working on it for about an hour (or more) and steve breraking about 10 drill bits from the metla being so tough, I am now in the process of sending the turbo off to the hole can be drilled and re-tapped. Fingers crossed guys!

now onto the goood stuff , got the car on its wheels for the first time in 6 months haha.

IMG-20111029-00108.jpg

IMG-20111029-00109.jpg

unfortunately it wont be staying like that as it was just to measure the driveshafts.

.. before anyone says it I do realise that the silicon hose is sticking out the side of my car haha.

forgot how low she was, and this is after raising her a bit ...

IMG-20111029-00110.jpg

so steve was workign his magic once agian! cutting up my driveshafts ..

Sevenoaks-20111029-00114.jpg

didnt do a bad job of it either!

Sevenoaks-20111029-00116.jpg

Sevenoaks-20111029-00117.jpg

got the battery box in too :)

Sevenoaks-20111029-00112.jpg

just waitin now for the driveshafts to be welded together, and getting the turbo back ... then a push to the finish!!! yay!!! :D :D

Hope y'all had a good halloween weekend!

Grant.