My 1.8T 20v Conversion

grantmax

Hi guys,

I have to admit I dont post on here enought. Hoever I thought I would start a build thread on my 1.8t conversion so that you may come along for the ride.

I will be making the thread as in depth as possible so that it may be used as a partial guide as I know how hard it is to find info on how to do these sort of things so I hope this will be of help!

the engine I am using is an APP 1.8t 20v from a seat leon cupra with 180bhp. I am using an O2J gearbox from an A3 as the 6 speed from the leon will not fit!... I will also be using the loom and the ecu from the leon along with the accelorator pedal as it is fly by wire and the clutch as that is an hydrauclic clutch, 2 things my car is lacking.

I will also be upgrading the brakes. After speaking to KAM racing I was recommended that I go for the polo gti set up with the uprated g60 discs and pads.

Firstly here is how my car looked until the engine went pop.

2q3ngwi.jpg

Here are a few photos of us taking the engine out of the leon.(dont worry, it wil ge a clean :) )

P1040002.jpg

P1040010.jpg

P1040013.jpg

and here is a pic of my 5 speed gearbox!

SSL22961.jpg

next on the list is to order the engine mounts (ill apdate with which ones I buy), clutch, polybushings, radiator and a camblet kit.... oh and to clean the engine and gearbox!.... and get my engine out of course!

... updates soon!

Edited by grantmax
  • Like 2

Right, not been too long but I have a little update!

got the car in the garage.... well half in ....

SDC10772.jpg

and yes, that is where it will stay for the rest of the conversion.

.... got the front end off...

SDC10771.jpg

SDC10775.jpg

took the 6 speed gearbox off the engine .... I think ne clutch will be happy to go in :)

SDC10778.jpg

just a little glimpse of the wiring loom from the leon .... glad I'm not tackling the wiring (dads old mechanic is ;) )

... so un fortuately any questions on wiring I wont be tooo much help on! .... except this is the loom for the WHOLE car!

SDC10774.jpg

and this is my mode of transport till i finish, I am already regretting as i got caught in the rain pretty bad today :( ... gonna look for a cheap little run about I think!

SDC10773.jpg

thats it for now folks!

Grant.

That wiring looks like my idea of hell. Keep the progress coming, looking forward to seeing it! :shades:

mine too! haha.... had enough trouble seperating the engine loom to the interior loom earlier... ill keep plodding lol .... thanks though... your arosa is coming along nicely! nutter removing the ARB though, but loving how low its sitting!

gollum.jpg

Smeagol says 'Leave now and never come back!'

:lol:

you'll have to get the left side driveshaft shortened.... :) ps i've gone solid flywheel with my engine..

Hi Parv, didn't realise you were on here! ... I have PM'd you on edition!

I know about the driveshaft, but thanks for the heads up...I have a great driveshaft company taking care of it by cutting and welding it! .... as for the flywheel. like your style... ill see if I can afford one on my tight budget!

...... ok so a few updates, I'm clearly not the fastest worker in the world haha, but got the engine out today and have cleaned the gearbox up, also attempted to clean the enigne a bit. Seemed to fail, but im not looking for a show engine bay, just a functional one!

so here are a few pictures of the little 1.4 coming out!

firstly get the exhaust off.... no need to worry about the back box as that fell of on its own accord a couple of weeks ago... haha

SDC10788.jpg

SDC10787.jpg

and then the engine...

SDC10795.jpg

SDC10800.jpg

havent taken any pics of the slightly cleaner gearbox and engine but not too exciting for you chaps!

tomorrow, ordering the engine mounts, poly bushes, pedal box (thanks rich) and taking the gear shifter and likages out. As well as cleaning out and cleaning up the engine bay :)

Grant.

Edited by grantmax
  • Thanks 1

i'll reply to that in a min. lol and yer i'm on here too... just keep checking my threads as it comes to finishing time and if you dont understand anything i'll try and explain it to ya.. :)

right! few updates. Santa brought a few presents :D !!

SDC10803.jpg

... but whats inside!....

new "uprated" water pump.

SDC10805.jpg

cambelt kit

SDC10804.jpg

new clutch kit and auxilary belt

SDC10806.jpg

new rad (polo 9n)

SDC10807.jpg

odered the a 53 plate engine mount today so that should arrive tommorrow!

got the hubs and driveshafts off aswell.... will get some pics up of that!

also got the gear linkage and shifter out. for those who are a bit stuck.

- get under the car remove the heat sheild.

- undo the four 13mm nuts.

- hey presto you have the shifter drop on your face and its all free :D

thats all for today folks!

Grant.

Ello again!

Few more updates!

firstly turns out I need a new flywheel and clutch, as the flywheel that is compatible with the 6 speed box is not so compatible with the 5 speed box!

so back go the clutch kit that I just ordered and now I need a clutch and flywheel kit!

I would be getting a solid fly as the dual mass are apparantly rubbish, however funds are not it my favour, do a dual mass it is, hopefully this will be with me mid week!

as for now, I have taken the brake resevoir and master cylinder off and replaced with one from a polo gti, the reason being is that this is used for the hydraulic clutch and needs the small tube on the side as the feed.

old brake resevoir and master cylinder ...

SDC10811.jpg

and the new one!...

SDC10813.jpg

only a subbtle difference but one needed. however, there is a further difference. the bolts holding the brake lines into the new master cyclinder are larger than the old..... so these need to be swapped round.

I was told the by my friend that noticed the brake ends need to be cut a remade, which I am fortunated and he is able to do!

got the clutch and accelerator off...

SDC10812.jpg

Rich on club lupo informs me that replacing the pedal box with one from a polo tdi, lupo tdi or lupo gti would be much easier, however I am going to size the pedals up form the leon to see if they fit, otherwise I will be following his wise words! .... matter of dosh really!

Also, got another little present!

SDC10808.jpg

but whats inside?

Brakes!... and hubs froma polo gti... hoping a direct fit! gonna need something to stop me!

SDC10809.jpg

at the moment I am just trying to get the engine loom out which involcves taking the dash off.... not fun! and something I didnt want to have to do! ...

so will give you more updates when I have completed that! Onli thing I will say though, is if you are removing the dash, undo every screw, nut and bolt you find! ... there is also some in the engine bay and rain tray!!

hope that's enough reading for now!

until next time!!

Grant.

You dont need to get the loom out of the car, i didnt...

Instead i made a adapter cable from the three connectors that is located at the gearbox side of the head.

I left all original wiring in and just cut into those cables i needed, much less work.

Connectors for starter and alternator is also located on the left front beam.

All you will need is already under the hood, you just need to cut in about 5-6 cables in th loom

from the large connector on the ecu.

For a direct fit of your Polo gti hubs you will need to switch sides of yor lower balljoints and you

also need shorter tie rods from Lupo gti or you just cut about 1cm of them.

I'm using a Mk1 Gti Flywheel with a mk3 gti box on my 20vt engine.... Solid flywheel ;)

I have a Helix clutch which from memory (this is going back about 4-5 years) cost me about £380+vat. I had to get this as the standard new one lasted about a week :rolleyes:

I'd imagine you should be fine running a standard clutch with the duel mass as long as it is the right one for the engine :)

G60 flywheel, 2.8 vr6 clutch and a o2A gearbox works well.

g60andplate.jpg

Edited by scotty_82

You dont need to get the loom out of the car, i didnt...

Instead i made a adapter cable from the three connectors that is located at the gearbox side of the head.

I left all original wiring in and just cut into those cables i needed, much less work.

Connectors for starter and alternator is also located on the left front beam.

All you will need is already under the hood, you just need to cut in about 5-6 cables in th loom

from the large connector on the ecu.

For a direct fit of your Polo gti hubs you will need to switch sides of yor lower balljoints and you

also need shorter tie rods from Lupo gti or you just cut about 1cm of them.

Thanks for the info about the wiring loom, but I hae already go the dash out and im sending the loom off to Andrew Outhwaite at ACR to make a plug an play loom, when it comes to wiring I would rather not try to play with wires!... scare the hell out of me!

thanks for the info about the hubs though, I would be lost without you lot! haha

hopefully gettin the engine mount tomorrow, as the one they sent me was for a petrol and I need the deseil mount.... well done Seat!

Thanks for all the input on the flywheel, I think I found a solid one that seems reasonable which is designed for the AGU engine, so will fit my 5 speed box!

should be some updates tomorrow or tuesday, basically half way point now! ... just need to start putting it all in! ... the poor lupo is in bits!

Grant.

right, sorry I have been quiet for a while. 2 reasons really, I have been busy, and I seem to have misplaced my camera! and I have been very busy so maybe a few pics tomorrow!

Anyway.

Sent the 2 looms off to ACR so I should be getting that back in a week or so!

also ordered some nice bits today...

- pedal box from a polo tdi, which has a fly by wire accelerator, and an hydraulic clutch.

- A flywheel and starter motor, not a solid one unfortunately due to funds haha!

- new secondary air pump tubes, only reason for this as a didn't realise quite how delicate these are and when removing the engine snapped pretty much all of them!

tomorrow I will also be trial fitting the gear shifter ... fingers crossed!!

Little story you guys may enjoy!...

ordered my engine mount from seat (ibiza 1.9tdi 53 plate) which was all sorted within a day ... impressive!

offered up the mount to the engine and it didnt fit :( ..... so called up the garage to see if I could try a 1.4 tdi mount in which they told me they had sent me a petrol mount!!!

kindly they sorted the original mount. finally got this one, but unfortunately this didnt fit either. apon calling them back again they said they werent happy to consistently do this!

found this a bit rich as it was their fault in the first place.

after asking them if i could try the 1.4 engine mount they said I wouldnt be able to return it if it was wrong as it was coming from germany.

with being told this I thought it was best I got a refund and found it elsewhere.

so, paid £105 for the original mount and they refunded me £111 .....

up yours Seat :D haha ....

.... still on the search for the right engine mount, but in transit as we speak!

Grant.

Bit annoying about the engine mounts but like you say you've won that battle haha.

You sound like you know what you're doing!

yer it has been a bit annoying, but whats a build without its problems hey!

as for knowing what I'm doing.... I wish i did ha ha! .... I have just read alot around the subject, had a good amount of help from the guys on the forums and have some good mates! lol .... but thanks anyway :D