Engine bay Cleaning

Pete

Right, today I was gonna have a bash at cleaning my engine bay. Never done one before and on close inspection it's in a right state. I bought myself some bits and bobs to do the job, degreaser, hard bristled brushes and some AG rubber vinyl stuff for the plastic, but down the chassis legs and round the back of the headlights is a right game to get at, especially with how crappy it is!

It looks like the only way to do a half decent job is to whip the front off, so my question is-what needs to come off and how does it come off? Also can I leave the rad in place to save me having to drain the coolant? Ooooh also how do I go about cleaning the header tank out, it's proper filthy inside and I cant get to right inside it.

Any help would be great ta.

Pete

get a long decorators brush to do where you cant reach as such... rest use a wheel brush poss to get in there, basically spray degreaser on, work it in then wipe off with dampish cloth. coolant tank not a clue but taking front off to me is a little extreme purely to clean the bay... baby wipes also work well mate :)

*can ignore above if you choose to :P *

Edited by andyp

Hey Andy, long time no speak! Honestly mate it's in a right mess, seems the only way with all the wires and hoses in the way!

Got a pressure washer? snow foam?

Put a few bags over your electrics and tape up, Jet wash away!

I found Autosmart tardis pretty good for cleaning grime in my engine bay

the chassis legs are a right pain! i used tardis, proved better than autoglym engine cleaner by a long way. i did have the front of the car off and it was a lot easier lol, you have to drain the rad to take the slam panel off.

you can clean the chassis legs with the front on but its just a bit of a pain thats all

• 3 months later...