Post up your collection!

Sad

How is it sad? It's just a hobby, like anything else.

Anyway for me my extensive collection of kit is what puts bread on the table.

Ashley

• 2 weeks later...

Bottle of Megs detailer, polish, HD wax & micro clothes... Sorted! :)

• 2 months later...

I've had the bug to some degree a few times, and ended up buying a bunch of stuff I never used! :op

Been almost living out of my gti for a while now, and it's embarrassingly dirty! Having it valeted next weekend, then I'm on a strict no workwear or coffee cups rule!

I've had the bug to some degree a few times, and ended up buying a bunch of stuff I never used! :op

Been almost living out of my gti for a while now, and it's embarrassingly dirty! Having it valeted next weekend, then I'm on a strict no workwear or coffee cups rule!

Please don't have it "valeted", do it yourself. You will take much more pride in the car than a valeter.

Ashley

Please don't have it "valeted", do it yourself. You will take much more pride in the car than a valeter.

Ashley

Thing is it's already booked in for tomorrow morning and I've already had to change the date. I know what you're saying about taking pride in it more myself, but really it's more a case of not having time. I work long days away from home, and at the moment I just want it clean! :) The idea is to get them to do the major job and I'll keep on top of it from then... that's the plan!

Edited by pinkietronic

Ashley

Ashley

This is one of those times when I wish I'd listened to someone's advice! The guy just rang me to explain that the windscreen has cracked! He had the seat right the way forward and then flipped the lever to get in the back and the headrest has hit the windscreen! He was genuinely shocked though. Autoglass are coming Monday as the screen isn't one that's on the shelf in Bristol.

The clean has also revealed how screwed my paintwork is, so gonna think about getting a quote for that. Anyone know any good sprayshops in or near Gloucester?

*sigh*

Edited by pinkietronic

This is one of those times when I wish I'd listened to someone's advice! The guy just rang me to explain that the windscreen has cracked! He had the seat right the way forward and then flipped the lever to get in the back and the headrest has hit the windscreen! He was genuinely shocked though. Autoglass are coming Monday as the screen isn't one that's on the shelf in Bristol.

The clean has also revealed how screwed my paintwork is, so gonna think about getting a quote for that. Anyone know any good sprayshops in or near Gloucester?

*sigh*

When you say your paintwork is screwed what do you mean exactly? You might not need to get it resprayed?

When you say your paintwork is screwed what do you mean exactly? You might not need to get it resprayed?

Well, to be fair 'screwed' is probably an exaggeration! It has some nasty chunks taken out by flying gravel and things, but most of the dirt that you can still feel on the paint could be taken away with a clay bar? I expect it's obvious I don't know much about this kinda thing, but I have a friend who details cars who says a lot can be removed with clay bars... I'll try to get a picture later.

Well, to be fair 'screwed' is probably an exaggeration! It has some nasty chunks taken out by flying gravel and things, but most of the dirt that you can still feel on the paint could be taken away with a clay bar? I expect it's obvious I don't know much about this kinda thing, but I have a friend who details cars who says a lot can be removed with clay bars... I'll try to get a picture later.

So you have some stone chips / rash and some embedded contamination? Just touch the chips in and use a tar remover, decon gel and clay bar to decontaminate your paintwork, job done :)

So you have some stone chips / rash and some embedded contamination? Just touch the chips in and use a tar remover, decon gel and clay bar to decontaminate your paintwork, job done :)

It seems a trip to an online store is in order then! Any suggestions? Really appreciate the advice by the way :)

I recommend www.elitecarcare.co.uk.

In terms of products:

- Autosmart Tardis

- Wolf's Decon Gel / Brake Duster

- Bilt Hamber Soft / Sonus Ultra Fine Detailing Clay (with Dodo Juice Born Slippy as lubricant)

Use the products in this order after your wash stage. A decent machine / hand polish will also help to cut away a very small layer of paint.

Regarding touching in your defects you can get a kit from paints4u.co.uk. If this is something you're thinking of doing then get in touch with me and I will give you some pointers.

Ashley

Edited by Ashley

I recommend www.elitecarcare.co.uk.

In terms of products:

- Autosmart Tardis

- Wolf's Decon Gel / Brake Duster

- Bilt Hamber Soft / Sonus Ultra Fine Detailing Clay (with Dodo Juice Born Slippy as lubricant)

Use the products in this order after your wash stage. A decent machine / hand polish will also help to cut away a very small layer of paint.

Regarding touching in your defects you can get a kit from paints4u.co.uk. If this is something you're thinking of doing then get in touch with me and I will give you some pointers.

Ashley

Thanks, Ashley! I've just put in my order at Elite! Can't wait! :tongueout:

I had a look at the paints4u site, and chose a kit, but it wont let me add it to the shopping basket, so will have to call them tomorrow. Any tips on that side of things would be very welcome, as a dodgy finish would bug me no end!

Here are the two main offenders:

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

I have to park on a main road, hence all the dust already on the car :(

Edited by pinkietronic

What is the paint colour / code for your car matey, L041? If so it says colour chip unavailable so you will have to ring and see if / when they will be getting stock.

Errm in terms of stone chips this is the general process:

1) Clean up the affected area with some diluted IPA (isopropanol), which I think comes with the Paints4u kit.

2) Touch the chip in with the kit (some have lacquer in with the colour coat, some are seperate base and lacquer, you'll have to check).

3) Wait 24 hours for your first application to harden, then apply another layer if it has sunk / doesn't fill the chip. Keep repeating until it has been filled and sits slightly proud.

4) After this has dried, apply your lacquer if it comes seperately and again wait for it to dry.

5) Wet sand the repair and about 2.5cm square until you get a uniformly dull but level finish (Recommend Meguiars unigrit 2500 grit).

6) Machine / hand polish to a good finish.

If you need any more tips give me a shout. Also if you don't feel comfortable with wet sanding your paintwork then don't do it, it's just my recommendation. the important thing is to make sure that you let the paint dry properly / harden before moving on to the next step.

Ashley

Edited by Ashley