83 Mk1 Gti

scotty_82

What engine code have you used for yours?

Have you done the wiring yourself , i was planning on using a company from croft who have done loads for the lads up north.

Managed to clean up the box today

Primered

Primer.jpg

Hammer time

hammertime.jpg

Dusted

dusted.jpg

And the crinkle black hammerite is applied

Painted.jpg

I also picked up the new bolts to attach the clutch to the flywheel so that will be going on tomorrow sometime.

Quick update, i fitted the sach vr6 clutch with new spline headed bolts from vw

clutchfitted.jpg

Mine's an AGU out of a donor A3 i bought. So i stripped it for everything, heard it run first etc. Sent the loom to Andy Outhwaite to be done plug and play, toyed with Qpeng etc or Emerald but decided i fancied keeping it OEM, i can keep my OBD port. My thinking as well was to get it running sweet first, see how it goes with 150bhp then either stage 1 upto 190 odd or go K03s as and when one crops up.

Like i said if you want drop me a pm as im not on here much any more having left the lupo stable almost 3 years ago!

Ill be sending my loom to the same place.

Cheers for that, and 150bhp to 200bhp should easy be enough fun in a light mark 1 before it starts getting expensive with diffs etc

• 4 weeks later...

Right quick update, i have been plodding along taking a few things off and replacing a few other like the poly bushes etc.

So the fuel tank is off , blasted and sprayed looking like new again , i just need some new stainless straps before it goes back on.

FuelTank.jpg

Also the filler neck is off getting cleaned up with the blaster and a quick powder coat too, so bfeore that comes back i got a new vw rubber connector

Fuelpipe.jpg

Also took delivery of a nearly new ( never used) nissen radiator for a pretty decent price

Radiator.jpg

Just waiting for a few more things to be delivered but hopefully should have some progress pics of the engine int he bay tonight :shades: :shades: :shades: :shades:

Been busy tonight since i cant go to the gym.

Borrowed the crane and off we went

Enginelifted1.jpg

Engineonhoist.jpg

Engine in and mounts ready to be lined up

Inonmounts.jpg

My brother tightening up the gearbox mount, still one more to fit but im waiting on a part to be delivered first.

Enginefitted.jpg

Do you ever sleep rich or were you put on the beer last night ? Ha ha

I need some bits if you have any in your collection, clutch slave cylinder to start off with ?

• 2 weeks later...

Small update, got the fuel tank back and put some foam strips on it so it doesnt go metal against metal under the car.

New straps arrived to so i put a strip of sticky back foam on them to.

Also got the filler neck back too, all cleaned up and ready to fit the rubber sections.

Tankwithfoam.jpg

Tankwithstraps.jpg

Fuel tank is now fitted so I'll sort some pics out of that ASAP

Got a nice big bag of bolts for the front suspension rebuild , the wishbones are in getting shot blasted and they have been seam welded a bit more. They should be looking fresh with a new lick of paint and poly bushes.

Hubs will be in next and some new bearings too.

Hopefully have some pics of the progress soon, wishbones should be back any day and ive ordered full tie rods, ends and boots for the steering.

So all of those should be getting fitted, going to order new bearings too and get the front hubs and brake dust guards all blasted and painted/ coated too.

Here's one of my bro just squeezing back out after we fitted the tank and new straps.

Tankfitted.jpg

Got a bit more graft done today.

Fitted the new tie bars, boots and ends for the steering, all that grease is a nightmare, probably going to swap the clips over to metal tie wraps though as i aint to keen on the ones that came with it.

Tierodandend.jpg

Steeringboot.jpg

Bootpassside.jpg

Also got a phone call to ask to come check out some wheels a lad bought in a job lot of parts, so i ended up buying them as spares, 15x7 et 35 but unknown make

wheels.jpg

Just won a nice intercooler on the bay, 690mm x 140mm x 60mm.

It should fit in nicely behind the front grill and infront of the radiator with it being bracketed off the slam panel.

All i need after that is some piping and hoses to plumb that bit in, it should end up looking like this routing wise.

01072010502medium.jpg