How much do you think the following would be worth?

brabus4

I'm not necessarily thinking of selling up, but I am curious to know just how much I'd get for it if I did sell in the near future. Some details below . . .

Black Lupo GTI

2001 51 Reg

5 speed

45K miles from new

FSH

Cambelt and pump changed Feb this year

I'm the 4th owner

Tax until end of August

MOT until June/July (can't remember lol)

Tyres and brakes are good

Spotless interior with refurbed RED door handles and window switches

New RED floor mats

White LED side lights

All electrics work

New Sony digital USB headunit, professionally fitted

Spent over £600 since Feb on bits and bobs and had it checked by a VW head mechanic for peace of mind

No rust anywhere, just a few tiny panel dents that I was quoted £40 to have taken out

20mm FK Spacers on rear, standard apart from that

On a private plate R44AAT, not sure if I would include this, but everyone comments on how great it looks bolted onto a black car!

Bad bits . . .

CAT D in 2002 (not stated on logbook) but professionally repaired. Looks spot on!

Only 1 key

Front A-pillar and drivers mirror slightly scuffed, was quoted £100 by Chips away to have fixed, but hardly noticeable

Engine light comes on and off due to 02 sensor (confirmed by VW mechanic) approx £100 to have replaced according to him

It's a fantastic car, especially for the year. Runs so smoothly and is really quiet . . . until you floor it and the sweet exhaust note kicks in! Lol. It is without doubt a great example, but as I'm out of work at the moment, I've been tinkering with the idea of selling it on, but if I'm not going to get my money back at least, there's no point.

I'd gladly keep it, but I do need the money too! :(

Any opinions on how much it's worth, etc would be appreciated folks.

Cheers,

Andy.

Dont really know what peoples problems with cat D are, its cosmetic, cat C is the one to stay away from!

Rubbish....

Both affect sell on and it all depends on who repaired it.. Theres no definitive answer

I do own a cat d gti and its a cracker... Its in better condition than a non smashed motor as it had a full respray in 2009

Dont really know what peoples problems with cat D are, its cosmetic, cat C is the one to stay away from!

You could have a Cat D that has had half the car replaced, and a Cat C that needed some paint and a headlight.

The level of damage isnt the defining factor, the overall cost of the repair (including ancillary costs) is

Your not a car dealership, so i dont think u actually have to mention category d mishaps, i seem to remember someone mentioned this in a previous thread. May get u some extra monies.

Your not a car dealership, so i dont think u actually have to mention category d mishaps, i seem to remember someone mentioned this in a previous thread. May get u some extra monies.

You are obliged to disclose it if asked. I would put it in the advert, its better to be honest up front.

What was the actual damage? I would imagine it was substantial for it to be on VCAR at a year old

Thanks for your opinions folks.

I'm not entirely sure where the damage was, but everyone who has looked at the car has said it looks true and straight, even when they've had it up on the ramps. I've had mechanics look shocked when I've told them it was a CAT D and how much I actually paid for it. It did have an issue with the front nearside hub when I bought it, it was bent, but I have since replaced it. I was told this was probably done during the snowy conditions when someone hit a kerb and not when it was damaged years back, as there would be no way anyone could drive it that way for so long.

I've owned a lot of cars too in my time and this is definately a great wee car. I've owned a CAT D previously and that wasn't bad either! Suppose it just depends on who owns them and the specific circumstances concerning each case. I know of someone who had their car written off, purely as their interior was destroyed by vandals. The exterior was fine by all accounts. The cost of repair came into the equasion, hence why it was made a CAT D.

I am tempted in a way, I'd be happy with just over the 3k mark. I don't expect to make money on it, I'd just like to cut my losses with it. I'd like to see it go to a good home too obviously, but everytime I look at it sitting there outside the window looking all lovely and shiney, I give myself a good old slap! :lol:

If you're serious about selling this, PM me? :)

Just seen your last post mate. Lol

I'm becoming more and more tempted to be honest, the bank account isn't looking too healthy these days! :(

It would be like giving up your child though . . . well, maybe not that bad, but not far off! ;):D

• 2 weeks later...

I've put the Lupo GTI up for sale in the for sale section, but to be honest, I thought I would have had a few replies by now! :(

I've put it up for £3350 or £3500 with the new Sony USB stereo, I've tried a few sites to get a general feeling for what it would be worth and this seems to be the middle ground, while also taking into consideration what I've spent on it since Feb. I understand there are a few negatives, but there are always going to be with every car that is 9 years old in my opinion . . . at least I'm being open and honest about them! It's been really well cared for over the years, I don't want to see it go for buttons!

Anyone got any advice? Priced too high in anyone's opinion? The fact it has only 45k on it, as well as just having the cambelt done would have been a great selling point I would have thought.

Cheers,

Andy.

You're always going to get an over valuation on an enthusiasts site as people on here want to believe their cars are worth a little bit more than the market will pay. Cat Ds = 30-40% below market value of the equivalent non cat car?

What's the true market value of your car non Cat D? 4K? More? Work that out and you can get a ballpark. Essentially it's got to be at a price point attractive enough in relation to the non cat market to tempt buyers who will invariably perceive some level of risk or difficulty in selling on in future.

Long story short you're not at that level yet IMHO.

You're always going to get an over valuation on an enthusiasts site as people on here want to believe their cars are worth a little bit more than the market will pay. Cat Ds = 30-40% below market value of the equivalent non cat car?

What's the true market value of your car non Cat D? 4K? More? Work that out and you can get a ballpark. Essentially it's got to be at a price point attractive enough in relation to the non cat market to tempt buyers who will invariably perceive some level of risk or difficulty in selling on in future.

Long story short you're not at that level yet IMHO.

I hear what your saying and appreciate your opinion, but in my experience, you can't generalise in this way. I've had some really great CAT D and CAT C cars before, I've also had a few howlers! I would genuinely rather keep the car than just give it away. It's a fantastic car which I have spent a lot of money on since Feb this year, so it wouldn't make sense for me to sell, only to make a huge loss on it. I know it's spot on for the money, other people have also agreed with me on this. I think it's always wise to take into consideration that people will usually try and knock some money of the price . . .

I specifically asked the question in the first place, as I was unsure about what I should be asking for the car. Who better to ask than people who know these cars better than anyone else? I'd like to think that people on this site are going to give an un-biased opinion, which is always good.

I have the car up for sale, in the for sale section and on various other sites, if anyone is interested. :)

I hear what your saying and appreciate your opinion, but in my experience, you can't generalise in this way. I've had some really great CAT D and CAT C cars before, I've also had a few howlers! I would genuinely rather keep the car than just give it away. It's a fantastic car which I have spent a lot of money on since Feb this year, so it wouldn't make sense for me to sell, only to make a huge loss on it. I know it's spot on for the money, other people have also agreed with me on this. I think it's always wise to take into consideration that people will usually try and knock some money of the price . . .

I specifically asked the question in the first place, as I was unsure about what I should be asking for the car. Who better to ask than people who know these cars better than anyone else? I'd like to think that people on this site are going to give an un-biased opinion, which is always good.

I have the car up for sale, in the for sale section and on various other sites, if anyone is interested. :)

mmm - no offence but i'm not sure you're responding to the point i made. the problem is not the actual condition or otherwise of a cat d car but the perception of such and the tag. i don't doubt you could pick up a bargain, especially if your intention is to keep it long term and therefore don't have the worry of selling on.

the fact remains that there's a perception attached to these cars which affects market value, regardless of the quality of the vehicle.

best of luck with the sale. at what point in the car's life was it put on the cat register?

Andy, it's worth what you're asking all day long.

Any less and I just wouldn't part with it.

Cheers Rich.

I think the car is excellent for the money. I wouldn't dream of selling up if I was still in work, but I need some extra pennies to get me through the rough patch.

Hopefully I'll get a job before it goes, if not, someone will be getting themselves a nice little car for not a lot of cash.

What are you looking for ?

Been in Telecoms, worked as an engineer but there's nothing out there.

I'd consider pretty much anything, music and gigging certainly doesn't pay the bills either! :(