Cleaning moon silver car

Kent

Im planning to start giving my car a proper clean, my wash used to consist of water & cheap halfords value car shampoo!

Recently I've started using:

Zip wax car shampoo

Autoglym super resin polish

Poorboys tyre dressing

Autoglym glass polish

And a Meguiars chamois

I have used the Super Resin Polish once, as I know you have to lock it in with a wax afterwards right?

Can anyone recommend me some stuff. I also run BBS RMs and have heard good things about Poorboys wheel sealant! Do you just give your wheels a good clean then put that stuff all over them?

And also clay bars??

In need of guidance lol, thanks!

Get rid of the Zip wax shampoo for a start!

Get something like Megs Goldclass or similar, it's much less acidic and when you've waxed your car and just want to wash it you won't strip the wax off again.

Try having a look on detailing world or polished bliss for some good guides on general car cleaning, the use of clay bars and how to wash/polish/wax correctly.

Ive joined detailing world but still cant see much about silver cars or the poorboys wheel sealant. I also cant post there for some bizarre reason!

Is megs stuff good, as on detailing world saw a lot of people slating it

It depends on what you class as good and what your budget is!

Megs stuff is alright for the price and for everyday use, the thing to remember is a lot of guys on detailing world are detailing crazy, to them something like Zaino is good but it's also so expensive that unless you are really into detailing that you'll think it's a rip off!

Have a look at polished bliss they have some really good guides on most products.

If you're just starting out in detailing then I wouldn't worry too much about being colour specific, get the basics under your belt first.

Forget megs shampoo. Get something that is ph neutral. I use Dodo Juice Sour Power. Theyre relatively small bottles but they're quite concentrated so you use less.

Autoglym SRP is good for polishing by hand. Follow it with a sealant or wax. Chemical Guys Jetseal 101 is a superb sealant. Again, it's a little more expensive than halfords products but imo its better than anything they sell.

I just started using a clay bar and it's amazing! Really makes the paintwork feel like glass. I just got a meguiars clay bar 'refiller kit' which is basically a clay bar in a box. I didn't get a lubricant but use some highly dilouted shampoo out of a spray bottle.

other than that I can't help! :(

Be careful with wheel sealant it can stain - use sparingly!

Shampoo wise dodo juice is uber concentrated and lasts ages also ph neutral :) or zymol if you need somethin you can get quickly as halfrauds sell it.

You don't wanna use SRP all the time it's fairly abrasive, get a gentler one for inbetweeny uses. TBH tho if your wax us good enough you shouldn't need polish too often anywhoo.

Wax wise if you can afford it and be bothered to reapply every wash then R222 is awesome. Collinite is harder wearing however and gives a similarly good finish. And always always always remember carnuba wax goes on first then synthetic products :D - dunno what life was like before we got some last touch!

• 1 month later...

does the op still want some advice or is this all sorted now?

From this:

Zip wax car shampoo

Poorboys tyre dressing

Autoglym glass polish

And a Meguiars chamois

I have changed to using this:

Poorboys Born to be mild shampoo

Dodo Juice Light Fantastic Wax

Meguiars Chamois

Poorboys tyre dressing

What do you reckon?

Also what would you recommend for my mirrored RM's, I used Autoglym metal polish and found it dulled so quickly tried wiping it off but still a slight dull patch :angry:

Cheers

Edited by Kent

Products you have upgraded to aren't too bad :). If you can afford to upgrade one thing please get rid of the chamois and buy a plush drying towel to reduce the chance of marring.

As for your wheels, don't use Autosol it's horrible stuff!!!! Start looking for some Brilliant Zeppelin Metal Polish, immense stuff sir :).

Any more questions just give me a shout.

I am also offering a detail at cost price to a local Gti owner if you're interested?

Ashley

Edited by Ashley