How to Guide: How to change gearbox oil on 1.4s

So there are no straight answers to how to change your gearbox oil on the net for a 1.4s Lupo so i thought i'd make one after doing it today.

This was done on a 2000 VW Lupo 1.4s 100bhp model at around 89,000 miles and 11 years old.

Take off your lower splitter and jack your car up on the front left side ensuring you use an axle stand:

DSC01922.jpg

Make sure you can undo the filler bolt first so you don't empty your box and then are unable to fill it back up again and your stuck!

Do this with a 17mm Hex Bolt peice that can be bought from an autoparts store or certain mechanical stores. Another option is using a wheel bolt and thin spanner to undo the nut as shown later on. The bolt is located on the front of the box facing forward, you can't miss it.

DSC01923.jpg

Once that is loose it's time to undo the draining plug which sits opposite your wishbone on the side of the box facing your wheel. It is exactly the same as the other bolt, it sits quite low and my 17mm hex bolt would not fit inbetween the bolt and the wishbone so i used the wheel bolts and spanner approach as shown:

DSC01924.jpg

DSC01925.jpg

Stick something to catch the oil underneath and undo the plug and let the oil flow out, go make a cuppa at this point so it drains fully.

DSC01926.jpg

My oil was green, murky and full of black fillings of metal, clearly it had never been changed!

DSC01928.jpg

DSC01934.jpg

Replace the draining plug:

DSC01929.jpg

It's a little awkward to refill but use some hosepipe and a funnel up through the engine bay and it should go in nicely.

DSC01931.jpg

I refilled using Castrol 75w-90 oil and it runs alot smoother and cleaner now so it's well recommended from me.

DSC01932.jpg

Just over 2 litres of oil came out of my box and it ate the whole 2 litres i refilled it with, i may add the extra 100ml when i can be bother but i expect it shouldnt make too much of a difference.

DSC01933.jpg

Replace your plug and your done!

DSC01935.jpg

Let your car run for a few minutes and take her for a test drive and smile!

Hope this guide helped and please PM me with any questions if you get confused.

Joel

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.