Just worked out mpg for my sport :(

ChristopherReeve

i just found out on a website a volkswagen lupo sport should be doing 41MPG (parkers website stats and figures). I just worked out on a 34 liter fuel tank what a sport has doing 41 MPG should make 306.63 miles per tank. i know many years have gone past and the engine is on approximatively 80'000 but in the past 4 months i've owned my sport the best i've had is approximatively 216miles before the red light has came on? ive tried to drive eco as my nan would drive but nothing? anyone else had the same problem or cures?

You'll never use a full tank of fuel, unless you drive the car until it cuts out from not having any fuel left, so that will explain the maths a little bit.

I use spritmonitor.de/en to keep an eye on my fuel consumption, as you can see in my signature.

Flush some redex through the fuel system, or even get some of the cleaner to clean the maf sensor (air intake)... also is your air filter, spark plugs etc well serviced?

Give me a message if you need any help

could do with a good service?

i used to get about 220-230 out of mine with country and town driving so not the most efficient! that was normally filling it up as soon as it touched red, or when the petrol light came on (if it has one?)...can't remember haven't driven it in so long! guess it would normally be about 30ish litres?

It's around 27/28 litres from light till first click I get around 200-230 beat I've has is 290 with extremely frugal driving and lots of motorways

28 litres is 6 gallons so 41 mpg so that'll be about 246 miles so your not far off tbh you'll be about 36mpg if ur doin 216 miles till the light

Edited by jamiea7x

You'll never use a full tank of fuel, unless you drive the car until it cuts out from not having any fuel left, so that will explain the maths a little bit.

I use spritmonitor.de/en to keep an eye on my fuel consumption, as you can see in my signature.

No ive never ran it out of fuel ha, but i do get the red light on. even if i still wait for the red light i would of done 180 milesish..still doesn't equivalate that i'm still down around 100 miles per tank :?

Flush some redex through the fuel system, or even get some of the cleaner to clean the maf sensor (air intake)... also is your air filter, spark plugs etc well serviced?

Give me a message if you need any help

Ive used redex before and it messed up my old car it didnt ride too got and it would idel very rough, but i have used near enough the same stuff you get in a soup tin but its for your petrol tank, you are meant to put it in on a full tank of 50 litres but i wait till i have around 3/5ths of a tank and put it in so it is more concentrated but still no luck.

could do with a good service?

i used to get about 220-230 out of mine with country and town driving so not the most efficient! that was normally filling it up as soon as it touched red, or when the petrol light came on (if it has one?)...can't remember haven't driven it in so long! guess it would normally be about 30ish litres?

It may sound anal but my caar normally gets serviced ever 8'000, but i service it every 4'000. probably no point but its a piece of mind :) Yeah i normally fill up before i get down to 3/4 or 1/2 because i get depressed about having used s much fuel and i haven't drove any where.

It's around 27/28 litres from light till first click I get around 200-230 beat I've has is 290 with extremely frugal driving and lots of motorways

28 litres is 6 gallons so 41 mpg so that'll be about 246 miles so your not far off tbh you'll be about 36mpg if ur doin 216 miles till the light

Yeah thats right. i dont know why i'm complaining about because i know when i bought the car is wasnt going to compare to a hybrid or anything ha! im just shocked because my old lupo sdi i could last 4 days before filling up now i have to full up every day/2 days. (using half a tank.)

Thanks for the speedy reply guys :)

I used to put about 6 litres in and it lasted me 15 mins :D with new mods....I'm thinking at least 10 litres in 15 mins haha

haha. you have an excuse, your a stripped out race machine! if your car was doing 41 mpg you wouldn't be winning any races lol. the thing is my car is compleaty stock apart from being stripped out of everything in the rear. oh and silly porsche wheels. i except the tyre psi isnt helping having 40 all around. Right now im idolizing your car right now i want a race lupo :P