Hello MPG :)

Dean Robinson

So basically we are at an agreement diesel = win ;)

Yes, if you talk through your nose, enjoy lots of lag, black smoke that comes from the exhaust and an engine that sounds like a tractor it certainly is the winner lol ;)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, if you talk through your nose, enjoy lots of lag, black smoke that comes from the exhaust and an engine that sounds like a tractor it certainly is the winner lol ;)

no poke without smoke :P

I don't believe that AT ALL. The lupo sport will never do 60 mpg. Unless the wind was blowing it along. Especially if you are doing 100mph. Even 255 miles to half a tank isn't 60 mpg. Especially when you brim it because you can do 100 miles before it even comes back on to the gauge. The figures VW give are 54 to the gallon so how have you made it up to 60 after tuning it?

I would be amazed if someone could get 60mpg out of a sport. I dont think i have even got close to 54mpg even when sitting at 60. In fact i get worse MPG sitting at 60 than i do at 100 so i suspect a remap would help quite a bit but maybe he also has a gearbox from a regular 1.4 and then it may not be so out of reach as the sport box is not ideal.

Sitting at between 80-100mph i get 40/41mpg this is where i get the best return it equates to 275 to a tank 30L. if i do local driving around where i live its usually 200-210 to a tank and if i do London driving where

its far more flat and dont climb so many hills i get 220-240.

Pass plus? lol, Won't be long before you're banned doing that on your first year of driving winker.gif

100mph is nothing out of the ordinary. Its really a very realistic speeds for a modern car to be going at its just our outdated laws do not reflect this fact. When ever i am at that speed so are many many other cars in the offside lane and traffic is flowing nicely. There is no reason it is any more unsafe than traveling at 70 as long as people are paying attention and giving good space between them and the car in front . Speed does not kill but that said being a tw@ when driving at speed does. Its not really about how fast you drive but when and how you drive fast. If there are a whole load of cars traveling at that speed and the motorway is flowing well most sensible police forces will not bat an eyelid as they know flowing traffic is safe traffic. If you were the only one traveling at 100 when the average speed is far less then then they would have to make an example. Cars do travel at speeds of around 120 on british motorways every single day ok.. i should say night but they are not all losing control or smashing into other drivers and killing them. Granted at night there are far less users on the road but then that is just driving according to the situation. When there is free open road and you have a car that is designed to drive in excess for 150mph there is very little that is going to make doing so particularly dangerous. I drive in the middle of the night a lot and i have yet to see one incident where someone driving in excess of 100mph nearly caused an accident. In the day i see near accidents all the time but more often than not its because of someone going too slow hogging the middle lane causing people to overtake needlessly and undertake needlessly not because someone was traveling at 100mph

The message that speed kills on a motorway is a total myth it cannot even be substantiated by any good solid evidence i have seen. Its driving like a tw @ that kills or lack of ability to read the road and drive accordingly to the conditions. drivng at 100mph in a modern car is many times safer than driving at 70 was when the speed limit was first imposed. German car makes design cars with speed in mind and just because a car is sold in the UK market does not suddenly make it unsafe to drive at speeds where the exact same car is being driven far faster than our UK limit on a daily bases

I dont know a single person that has not drive on a motorway at 100mph and they are not all reckless boy racers. If you have a car that is capable of driving well within its capable limit at 100mph then you will have done so. Having a Whole"ier than thou atitude is pathetic so enough of the winker.gif please and enter the real world. Many roads when flowing well have cars doing 85-95mph in the middle lane so to achieve 100mph really is not all that hard and any car that enters into the offside lane has to be doing that or faster or they will be causing danger. Everyone knows sometimes the centre lane slows and usually due to a lane hog up ahead that is doing 60mph who is totally unaware to the fact they are holding up traffic behind them. despite leaving yourself a good gap between you and the car ahead bunching starts to happen. Its always a much safer move to be able to read what is going on ahead and overtake well before the bunching starts to happens and everyone else wants to overtake.

Just in the process of driving safley you can hit speeds of 100mph as its safer to drive to how the road is flowing than it is to be a lane hog that thinks driving within the limit is safe and all those naughty people exceeding the speed limit are bad and dangerous when in reality it's those people that are sitting within the limit that are causing far far more danger than anyone doing 80-90-100mph.

"The overall road traffic safety of German autobahns is generally better than that of other European highways. A 2005 study by the German Federal Interior Ministry (Bundesministerium des Innern) indicated that Autobahn sections with unrestricted speed have the same crash record as sections with speed limits"

the real danger on motorways is this..

Edited by Unheard

so you've never overtook someone doing a ton on the motorway? honestly?

sorry but i think everyone of us on here with a car capable of doing 100 has done that, at some point, on the motorway or whatever.

Not in my first year of driving with no experience on my way to doing my pass plus...

100mph is nothing out of the ordinary. Its really a very realistic speeds for a modern car to be going at its just our outdated laws do not reflect this fact. When ever i am at that speed so are many many other cars in the offside lane and traffic is flowing nicely. There is no reason it is any more unsafe than traveling at 70 as long as people are paying attention

A valid point, however for a new driver on his way to a pass plus, whether or not he's paying full attention or not, at 100mph if something goes wrong then he quite simply won't have the experience to deal with it.

You don't go to a ski slope with no experience and belt it all the way down from the top as fast as you can do you ?

You don't go to a downhill track on a mountainbike shortly after 'removing your stabilisers' and cain it all the way down in the fastest gear...

Depends on what poke your talking about?

I say petrol = win, diesel = boring.

Been a while since you had a passenger ride in my car hey ben? lol

But no, I don't think there's any point in argueing that Diesel is better than Petrol, or Petrol is better than diesel. It all boils down to personal preference as the way the power is delivered between Diesels and Petrols is often completely different.