how much work involved to upgrade door speaker cables??????

basically i want to run amp'd components in the front doors, but have been advised to upgrade speaker cables, how much work does this involve, how easy is it to gain access to the door 'flexi wiring thing'??

cheers.

Well. If your changing the tweeters. Which you will be if you are getting components. It is an easy job its just annoying and lengthy. If done properly anyway. I wanted to shoot myself after trying to get the tweeter cables down the side of the dash for an hour or so each side. Like I said if you are doing it properly You need to run the power down the centre to the boot. then the signal cables and the speaker cables down the respective sides. For the cables in to the doors it's easy all you do is push the speaker cable alongside the wiring loom for each door and then down and through one of the rubbers then under the carpet. You need to make your self and adaptater out of MDF or buy one which is plastic. I went for the wood option myself as I believe it easier to apply dynamat to the wood and the door behind the door, also with the plastic adapter less surface area will be attached to the car meaning the dynamat has to dampen more per square metre its good stuff but its better if you make it do less work than needs be. There is a tut on here on how to make the mdf adapters.

I read this and it don't really make much sense. Basically the plastic adapters are made of some polymer which is more dense than mdf this means the atoms are closer together thus meaning sound will travel faster and more efficient through it. Use wood.

Edited by Brammo

^ pretty much got it covered.

Its quite self explanatory once you start taking it apart. I put my amp under the drivers seat.

i used 18mm MDF rings for my focal's (165A1 i think) and were perfect, i can still have the original door card on no probs. little rich on here had expensive focals and they needed thicker mdf rings due to the width of the speaker

Alot of shops say this because they make alot more money on speaker cable then on speakers themselves.

They do this is electrical shops too, promote a TV and over promote the essential need of extortionately priced HDMI's cables.

I guess the answer is in google, http://lmgtfy.com/?q=speaker+cables+in+cars

Alot of shops say this because they make alot more money on speaker cable then on speakers themselves.

They do this is electrical shops too, promote a TV and over promote the essential need of extortionately priced HDMI's cables.

Fitted a full set of componants in a friends gti in around a hr, thats included all newly run speaker cables.

Cables make all the difference if you have a half decent system, the loops new setup has speaker cable that were £12 a meter and power cable thats £30 a meter lol.

My current home setup which has Focal JMlabs has speaker cables costing £65 a meter :lol:

Your right the mark up on cables is massive compared to anything else.

Percentagewise

Edited by Brammo

Did a pedal box last weekend on my dads mates lupo. Made me want cry haha. Took the shear bolts off with a hammer and chisel took about 30 minute for each one. Then I found a drill extractor.

Edited by Brammo

• 1 month later...

Did a pedal box last weekend on my dads mates lupo. Made me want cry haha. Took the shear bolts off with a hammer and chisel took about 30 minute for each one. Then I found a drill extractor.

lol I used the same technique