Machine polishing

marcusgrant

The lupo is in the body shop at the moment getting a few bits done but when it comes out I'll need some machine polishing doing on it. I'm tempted to get a DA polisher and have a go myself, i'm not a retard but will i still be able to get a good finish baring in mind its the first car i'll be doing? Or would it be best to leave it to a pro (12yan??? :P )

Even if i did get someone to do it i guess its still quite a handy tool and skill to have?

I'd probably get something like this? http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing/polishing-machine/das-6-dual-action-polisher-meguiars-kit/prod_521.html

Basically just after some advice for a noob whether i should have a go myself or leave it to a pro

cheers

I got hubby a dodo juice spin doctor for Xmas and have used it more than him even having arthritic wrists and carpel tunnel in both hands I am able to use it and get a decent finish. Get a fairly low abrasive polish to start with - I got a poorboys one with it which is pretty gentle then SRPd it once I was confident :)

I use a sander, and have never had any problems. It was about £30, as opposed to the fancy 'detailing' polishers that are quadruple that amount.

Just start off with a finishing polish and pad - I use Menzerna polish and pads

• 3 weeks later...

I use a rotary polisher

Tbh im no pro so dont need pro stuff but im happy with what i can do :)

Just bought one, apart from the first two freebie sh***y pads which just tore themselves to pieces upon any contact with the surface, (i spent a good half hour removing foam pieces from every nook on the car), then i finally got the hang of it, but i know i need better pads that hold together. I also need to get enough space in the garage to do it there, cos it always rains when i try :/ but u have to be as patient as possible and expect to get at least a tiny bit of splatter everywhere so cover the glass! admittadly the finish was exceptional afterwards, however i need to allow more time between coats i found to keep applying wax, i found that the wax smudged glaze which hadnt fully cured. Also use a lot of product at first to get the pad saturated! I need a few more passes on my dads car to remove all spider marks, but ive removed about 50% already which im pleased with considering ive never tried before.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone fancy giving my car a go with a rotary polisher? Can't seem to get a decent finish without one... Swirl marks galore!!!

Anyone recommend some products to use on the car?

Not got ANY products now so goin to start fresh... Ideas? :)

Someone fancy giving my car a go with a rotary polisher? Can't seem to get a decent finish without one... Swirl marks galore!!!

Anyone recommend some products to use on the car?

Not got ANY products now so goin to start fresh... Ideas? :)

Can come practise on mine if you like liam!!

If you're going to polish by hand i used to make sure the paint was as clean as possible (clay bar it), the autoglym super resin polish, then autoglym glaze stuff then wax it (used dodojuice orange crush). Brings it up nice and shiney and fills in the swirls a little. I think dodojuice limeprime is good to use by hand as well, its slightly abrasive which will help actually remove the swirls rather than fill.

Best option is to machine polish it though. Dan on here has just done a fantastic job on my car, took over a day in totally probably and we still didnt get to do the front bumper of roof 100% lol....stupid work commitments.

also halfords have got 3 for 2 at the moment on all cleaning chemicals!

If you hand polish go for Gtechniq P1, easily the best hand polish about. As for your original question. To achieve full correction and perfect paintwork is extremely difficult. However removing around 30% of defects (i.e an enhancement treatment) is actually fairly easy. But it's a lot of money to spend if you never truly remove the defects.

Any more questions just ask,

Ashley