Door mechanism micro switches. HELP please!

Hi, both of my front doors have gone crappy. First the drivers door: the car would not recognise it being open (interior light would not come on and car would lock after 30 secs) which I assumed would be the microswitch on the mechanism. Then months later the passenger door has done the same. I have replaced them both with used ones from Rich on here who checked them before. Where they have gone months apart I guessed it mist be microswitches but after changing them the problem still remains.

What could it be?????

It's not the interior bulb and the alarm still locks the doors?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Patrick

Common problem with all vw's of this age. Its the whole locking mechanism inside the door which was manufactured with faulty soldering, you can fix it yourself but its not easy!

But I've just replaced both mechanisms and ones I've just put in were both ok when taken off the car the other day. It's highly unlikely that all four have gone - I'd guess it's something further on....

Ok....

All 4 of the mechanisms I have, the microswitches, when activated with a small screwdriver and plugged into the drivers door, work. However only when plugged in the drivers door.

None of them activate the interior light on the passenger door which points at the next stage in the wiring on tgat sode. The connection in the passenger footwell seems ok.

Also neither of the drivers side locks activates the interior light/microswitch when fitted properly in the door which I assume means the catch is not hitting the switch properly.

This is a pain in the arse now.....

Right sorry to keep on but basically got to work through this and hope someones had similar problems.

It got dark and I got fed up so what I think I have established is:

Drivers side:

Both mechanisms I have, trigger light when plugged in and activated with screwdriver but the lock opening itself does not hit the switch enough to do this. Therefore I think a brand new mech would solve this unless there is a way of moving the position of microswitch closer.

Passenger side:

None of the lock mechs I have trigger the light when plugged in on this side (all 4 have been tested and work electrically on drivers side) so the problem here has to be before the door but I not sure where this could be after the connection in the footwell. This means even a new mech would be useless.

That's my summary lol.

Any help welcome

Patrick

• 10 months later...