And now for the news which has just about killed me off

Official source I presume?

Source graded E41 as per the NIM

Google the text I posted, it has been put on a lot of forums, with some blurb about an EU Directive. IIRC someone posted up a scan of the MOT testers magazine which confirmed it as being true, but not sure.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit of black electricians tape on the dash should get it through an MOT, shouldn't it?

Not that that solves the problem.

I cant imagine so, else people would be MOTing some right sheds with everything plastered in tape :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I popped over to Durham yesterday and thanks to Rich, we established the bulb was taken out... We fitted other clock and yep, airbag light was back on!

Sadly didn't get to the bottom of what the actual airbag fault is, if I want it fixed, I need a reputable auto electrician. :(

I popped over to Durham yesterday and thanks to Rich, we established the bulb was taken out... We fitted other clock and yep, airbag light was back on!

Sadly didn't get to the bottom of what the actual airbag fault is, if I want it fixed, I need a reputable auto electrician. :(

There not bulbs, they are surface mount LED's

And i think, if you swap the clock over from gti to non gti, you would get the airbag light as the coding in the clocks for the airbag control module would not match the coding in the one you put in its place.

John

I cant imagine so, else people would be MOTing some right sheds with everything plastered in tape :lol:

I think people do!

Don't think they're allowed to remove anything from your car, so if there's a bit of tape covering a fault light then they can't see it!

Also heard you can just gaffer tape a piece of metal over any rust holes. If they poke it and it's solid then it's a pass.

There not bulbs, they are surface mount LED's

And i think, if you swap the clock over from gti to non gti, you would get the airbag light as the coding in the clocks for the airbag control module would not match the coding in the one you put in its place.

John

LED is what I meant.

Clocks are from a GTi, he bought that 02 plate from the bay a few weeks back.

I think people do!

Don't think they're allowed to remove anything from your car, so if there's a bit of tape covering a fault light then they can't see it!

Also heard you can just gaffer tape a piece of metal over any rust holes. If they poke it and it's solid then it's a pass.

Aye, just look at all the Mondeos on the road with duck tape covering their cracked bumpers!

• 1 month later...

Update on this

£567 lighter- New Module and slip ring fitted by VW.

Did it fix the issue?

Of course not!!!

It seems what is now needed is a "memory igniter for battery cut off"

N253 requires new igniter cable replacing to battery positive connection.

A further £168.95.

And on back order...

But this should apparently do it... What the hell happened to this car!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have just left it not working, worst thing that'll happen is you'll head butt the steering wheel...

You could always use the old "Jesus is my airbag" line

:lol:

We had a near death accident in 2009 and wanted it fixed tbh- I did think it was going to be cheaper! The other bonus for me is that when time comes to sell I can sell on here as "cherished and 100% working car" rather than airbag light and I don't know why!

Not fixed again... This is terrible. They gave me a brand new 1.2 Polo as a courtesy car while they email Milton Keynes for more info. They've tried everything...

I really fancy a new car right now- and even the 1.2 would make me deliriously happy. I'd miss the Lupo but sometime the new car call is difficult to ignore!

Still at least they should sort it now as they won't want me to keep the Polo for long.

Not fixed again... This is terrible. They gave me a brand new 1.2 Polo as a courtesy car while they email Milton Keynes for more info. They've tried everything...

I really fancy a new car right now- and even the 1.2 would make me deliriously happy. I'd miss the Lupo but sometime the new car call is difficult to ignore!

Still at least they should sort it now as they won't want me to keep the Polo for long.

Have you agreed a price before hand or are they going to send you a massive bill for all the labour?

Last time I got a courtesy car from VW it was a 1.0 Fox, I gave it some right stick

It's fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At long last this airbag fault is fixed!! The car is literally perfect- VW gave it a clean bill of health with their checklist!!! It just needs a mini service now.

It feels so bloody good!!! :) :) :)