Lupo 1.4 16v 100bhp - 6 Speed Conversion,Straight foward or not?

Dan H

Hi there guys, this is my first post :]

I drive a 51 Plate black vw lupo ( 1.4 16v 100bhp ) @ 52k, last week the gearbox decided to fail on me (but, good ol' lupo, it went 100 yards from my house :D )

I'm looking to put the six speed box in this, as eventualy its having the engine to match, cant afford that yet though.

What im after is some advice from someone whos done this, or a point in the right direction! My father is a Renault mechanic, so be as techical as you like, he'l be doing the major work,

But he cant tell me what i need to get, as neither of us have even seen the sixspeed box yet ^.^

Anybody selling a 6speed box, i'd like to hear from you too :P

Cheers guys, Dan

Cheers for the speedy reply!

I dont want to buy another 5speed for it, so i'll be on the lookout for a full breaking Lupo GTI then..

How hard is the Full gti conversion? Obviously everything ECU coded has to be changed, but do the mountings align? With my 1.4s ofc.

or if theres a webpage/thread you know of with good details on this, that would be a great help!

Cheers !

Yes it probably would but there's not much point in going to all that effort when you could fit a Polo GTI engine and save yourself a lot of time.

If you do a search like I suggested it'll tell you everything you need to know.

In the short term get a box from a 75bhp 1.4 and fit that, has longer ratios than the sport box, then when you get your GTi engine and box, you can sell on the sport engine and box and get some money back.

Dan - Treblet is being helpful.- the polo gti engine is easier to fit than the lupo gti engine. It's a similar engine with the same displacement and output so no real difference. Id Do some reading and research before buying anything.

Jake.

Cheers rob G, i wasnt aware of the difference between the two boxes :]

And i know treblet is being helpful, and im greatful for that/all the replies i've had, However its the challenge and the project of making it a "lupo"

Gti that im interested in, plus the donor car will have other parts i require.. I'm not worried about how much work it is, as i have time and workshop space to keep it in,

Any tips , or complications that other people have encountered or heard of would be awesome though, cheers!

Is someone going to post up a facepalm, treblet just give up replying , sometimes people cant be helped. :shades:

If i asked what is finacialy cheaper, then that answer would be brilliant.. but thats not what im after. Lupo Gti's are found on salvage/repair sites for next to nothing, and as i've said the labor wont cost me anything. so unless someone has a reply that helps, this thread can be closed. i'l find the information else where

Lupo Gti's are found on salvage/repair sites for next to nothing.

Are they? Well when you find one can you let me know and I might buy a few bits off you. I honestly can't see you finding a crashed one for less than £2000.

The lupogti engine and polo gti engine are practically the same the polo engine uses the same mounts as lupos but the lupo gti doesn't as far as I can remember for various reasons I do not Know, the 6 speed box is one I think ..

Edited by jamiea7x

• 4 weeks later...