1.4 16v sport engines

I dont know why everyone gets so arsey.

It's not like i'm bragging about it. It just happens. Lol

I set off at 4.30am and i leave at 9.30pm, so the roads are quiet anyway.

Seems like Ben is the only person on here who enjoys driving quick. Lol

I dont know why everyone gets so arsey.

It's not like i'm bragging about it. It just happens. Lol

I set off at 4.30am and i leave at 9.30pm, so the roads are quiet anyway.

Seems like Ben is the only person on here who enjoys driving quick. Lol

If your not bragging, there was no need to admit it then.

We get get annoyed as not only is it part of the T&C's of ClubLupo not to post things like that. Its when people like you cause accidents and injure people, and wonder why it happens.

Speed limits are set for a reason, and when people chose to blatantly ignore them. They deserve what they get when they get caught. You only need to be caught once, and you will be in court, banned from driving, unable to get to work and be finding it hard to insure your car again.

That is one hell of a journey to and from work, I hope they pay you well!

I wouldnt do it if it didnt pay well. :)

I'm a mechanical piping engineer working on contract. It seems the engineering sector has really been hit hard by the recession in the past few years, so it means i have to travel to get well paid work.

The 1.4's are well known for failed oil pumps, blocked pick ups, low oil pressure, valve guide wear, stem seal faults, knocking tappets, blocked oil galleries, big end and main bearing failure, oil usage, piston slap, piston ring faults and just about every other engine fault possible. Total VW fail.

Where are the pickups that are usually blocked, i wanna try clear anything i can in my engine since i have the head off, anything else you can recommend to clean out also would be appreciated

Where are the pickups that are usually blocked, i wanna try clear anything i can in my engine since i have the head off, anything else you can recommend to clean out also would be appreciated

It's in the sump mate, just keep changing the oil regually.

Tappets appear to be fine, all nice and loose which i assume is a good thing?

Yes, I beleive you can pop them apart and clean them. I only have experience with solid lifter stuff.

I wouldnt do it if it didnt pay well. :)

I'm a mechanical piping engineer working on contract. It seems the engineering sector has really been hit hard by the recession in the past few years, so it means i have to travel to get well paid work.

Why not buy a derv and let it pay for itself with the savings and keep the GTI for the weekends ?

Yes, I beleive you can pop them apart and clean them. I only have experience with solid lifter stuff.

Yeah got the bit that slots into the head, then is a bit with a roller that pops on that, is all free and rollers all roll fine. Excuse my ignorance, I bake cakes for a living not this kinda stuff.

Yeah got the bit that slots into the head, then is a bit with a roller that pops on that, is all free and rollers all roll fine. Excuse my ignorance, I bake cakes for a living not this kinda stuff.

The bucket bit that sits in the head should somehow come apart, really they need keeping in oil too.

• 9 months later...

So it must be true

laugh.gif

There's a far greater chance that it's worn valve stem seals. This is a common problem on the 1.4 engine however the sport engines are notorious for burning oil anyway.

agree my sport burns oil! spoke to one of my mates, that works for vw and he tells me that the sport model burns oil , its all good lol , as long as its not as bad as black spots all over the back of your car, a week after washing it =)

agree my sport burns oil! spoke to one of my mates, that works for vw and he tells me that the sport model burns oil , its all good lol , as long as its not as bad as black spots all over the back of your car, a week after washing it =)

Nothing like thread revival!

16V engines burn oil, it's common. Most people tend to notice oil burning when it's around this time of year and a bit colder outside as the smoke hangs in the air better too.

• 2 years later...

this thread is a bit old but anyway...

ive got a lupo sport its been losing oil since ive bought it (december 2012). i always suspected an oil leak but mechanics always told me its just burning it.

recently ive started seeing small pudles of oil under the car, so i took it in and they have found an leak on the 'rear main seal'.

they said its going to be an expensive job to fix and there are no guaranties it will still leak after!

its only done 22,000 so i presume its previous owner didnt take it on many long journeys. maybe running low oil or blocked breathers has caused engine wear?

any advise would be appreciated