Cam belt snapped

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its probably bent valves and scored the piston tops, possibly could have fubared the head too.

Bit gutted , its never going to be a cheap fix , you can only hope the damage is not to bad.

Car died the other day and wouldn't start, AA man gave up after trying lotsa things, today i removed the belt cover (10second job..) to find

IMAG0359.jpg

What are my options please?

AA man is a fool. First thing he should have checked.

Probably valves, head set, and a cambelt kit if your luckly. Change all the stem seals too.

The amount of specific tools i need is getting rather annoying atm :(

Bottom pulley is aa ball ache,gonna see if can get hold of a tool tomorrow off a mate.

Part of me keeps thinijng maybe worth trying a gti conversion but cba to do it myself, anywhere specifically does this on a supply/fit basis and rough ideas on price?

Dont gti it, or if you do go to a place thats done it before and 100% know what there doing,

as marcus said your looking at about the 1k mark to take your car into a garage and come back working..

my linkage belt went on my lupo 1.4 16v 75bhp engine mid last year, i just turned the key to start it up and then i heard the dreaded noise. upon inspection ALL 16v's were bent, but i had no piston damage on any cylinder. i ended up going all out and having the head rebuilt, valve seats re-cut, new guides, stem seals, 16 new valves, etc and it was a pricey job it cost me around 600 quid for all the parts and the labour for the head rebuild, but i built it back up myself once i got the head back so saved abit of money there. my mates also did the same trick after mine went but funds were tight for him so we went about doing it on a budget, we sourced a head from a mk4 golf 1.4 16v AHW lump from a scrap yard, we gave his head and 50 quid in an exchange, bought the timming belt kit from gates for £90, a head gasket and head bolts from GSF for about 25 quid and a new water pump whilst we were at it. put it all back together and it ran sweet, the only problem was that the head from the golf didnt use an egr valve, which wasnt a problem because a blanking plate was made and that did the trick, ive heard that lupos run in limp mode when the egr valve is removed, but this one ran sweet as a nut didnt run in limp mode or anything or the sort. so you can fix it for cheap enough if you source a cheap head, it cost little over 200 quid doing it this way, i also got a brilliant diagram and instructions off the gates website for timing the engine up which helped me alot. i read earlier you were having trouble with the bottom pulley?, i used a snap on 18v impact gun to remove mine.

hope this helps,

Mark

Not sure on the Lupo, but on a lot of cars they use inverted torx bits.

On my old vauxhall redtop an 11mm socket fitted perfect, as i had sheared my head bolt torx bit.

Just unbolt the inlet/exhaust manifolds, unplug any sensors/wires going to the head, whip the cambelt off then undo the head bolts. There is a set sequence to undo/tighten the head bolts, but the info should be on here somewhere. I've never bothered when undoing them, just slacken them off a bit at a time.