New Lupo GTI owner!!

sat1983

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With regards to the knocking noise when pulling away. Do you also get it sometimes when you turn the engine off?

If so the 2 lower swing arm bolts that connect to the gearbox are loose as this happened to me when I bought the car.......a simple case of undoing one.......adding thread lock before doing it up tight again and moving to the next one.

Cured the noise for me and some others.

With the Lambda sensor and Oxygen map sensor, try removing and cleaning with a carb cleaner and see how you get on.

Edited by Mike_M

With regards to the knocking noise when pulling away. Do you also get it sometimes when you turn the engine off?

If so the 2 lower swing arm bolts that connect to the gearbox are loose as this happened to me when I bought the car.......a simple case of undoing one.......adding thread lock before doing it up tight again and moving to the next one.

Cured the noise for me and some others.

With the Lambda sensor and Oxygen map sensor, try removing and cleaning with a carb cleaner and see how you get on.

The knocking seems to have just started yesterday but it clearly only seems to be when moving off- I didn't hear it when turning the engine off.

I just wish I had a bit more of know how- wonder if there is a Lupo Haynes manual?

Thanks for the suggestions- I am keeping the Lupo no matter what as I'm just looking forward to putting it all back together and it working flawlessly, I'm sticking with it no matter what it throws at me!!

I just wish I had a bit more of know how- wonder if there is a Lupo Haynes manual?

There's no lupo one but pretty sure there is a polo 6n Haynes.. I recall someone on here mentioning that there are some kind of manuals available for the Lupo but they weren't Haynes.

Pretty sure the 6n is all but identical to the Lupo mechanically (engine-wise at least)...but I may be wrong.

I use my mk4 Golf one as most stuff is the same or similar (apart from the body shell :) ) and the 1.6 16v engine is also very similar to the GTI which they refer to a lot...........works for me as a reference

Edited by Mike_M

The knocking did seem to get worse and worse on my way back today. It only seems to do it when I pull away in first just after I've let the clutch fully up. And still the occasional knock when I steer. Bar that the EPC is now a semi permanent christmas light. :lol:

Rattles like a good'un too- drives me bonkers! Do they rattle a bit?

Edited by sat1983

Centre of the dash- where the hazard light switch is. Parcel shelf. My side of the dash in general. And of course, as you'll know Defcon, the bloody inside of the tailgate!

I had the air vents in the centre of the dash replaced (under warranty) but didn't stop the rattle - used to bug the hell out of me :lol: .

Look at the 'T' piece that is the demister for the windscreen. I bet you in the very middle there is a loose bit. I used some superglue to stop it from moving.

Yup, done this one myself!

With the parcel shelf, where it pivots on either side (the round sticky out bits) they are supposed to have a rubber sleeve, but this drops off and gets lost so it moves about and rattles. I wound a load of black electrical tape around mine and it fixed it.

If its not that, hen I dont think its your parcel shelf - it could be the wiring in the passenger rear wing. Remove the door card, than the upright plastic next to the seat, and you will see some wires and piping. On mine the piping had come away from its holder and was tappoing against the metal - drove me insane for years that one

Yup, done this one myself!

With the parcel shelf, where it pivots on either side (the round sticky out bits) they are supposed to have a rubber sleeve, but this drops off and gets lost so it moves about and rattles. I wound a load of black electrical tape around mine and it fixed it.

If its not that, hen I dont think its your parcel shelf - it could be the wiring in the passenger rear wing. Remove the door card, than the upright plastic next to the seat, and you will see some wires and piping. On mine the piping had come away from its holder and was tappoing against the metal - drove me insane for years that one

Will take a look at things more closely at the weekend but thanks for all your tips!

Update. Kinda.

Had the car checked by VAS-PC- the official VAG software that dealer use. Here is list of faults:

00532 Supply voltage signal too low, Intermittent.

Control module defective. Static

00852 Front speakers They seem fine to me though!!!

PO571 Brake light switch. Unplausible signal

01179 Immobiliser Incorrect key programming.

All in all no huge issues- It's the airbag issue, the real biggie. And I still can't figure out why I have no airbag light on at all. We had a look at the clocks and they have defo not been touched. Just do not know what to do!

Had another word with the guy- he's ringing me back tonight-yet again- to tell me exactly why I have no "bulb"

Latest he so calls remembers is that " He reset the unit and soldered a couple of wires together"

The trial continues.

On the plus side- I've solved the tailgate rattle. It was loose trim inside. All been put back and now no noise. Bliss.

Edited by sat1983

ELSAWIN is an alternative to a haynes manual although it's for a PC - around £6 on ebay iirc, comes with all diagrams, instructions etc. and you can search for different things. It's pretty useful.

I seriously hate ELSAWIN, can't figure it out and getting info out of it is like getting blood out of a stone!! I thought it was just me not using it right which is of course possible but I've recently had a bloke come to work at the garage I work at and he was originally from VW and even he said ELSAWIN is a pain in the arse and WIS is a much better system. Just thought I'd put that out there....... :D

• 2 months later...

The curse of the Lupo continues! The starter which was replaced two months ago has started making the overrun noise again! It's evidently nowhere near as bad but it's not a good sign- how the hell has it started again in 2 months!!!!

Did they replace your flywheel at the time of renewing your starter, the old starter may have chewed up the ring gear on your flywheel I guess.

Did they replace your flywheel at the time of renewing your starter, the old starter may have chewed up the ring gear on your flywheel I guess.

Dunno but I doubt it! I'll mention it when I drop it off Friday- thanks for the tip!

The curse of the Lupo continues! The starter which was replaced two months ago has started making the overrun noise again! It's evidently nowhere near as bad but it's not a good sign- how the hell has it started again in 2 months!!!!

Yep, been there.

It won't be the ring gear.