New Lupo GTI owner!!

sat1983

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have it mate, live in whitwood, near Wakefield if you are coming up this way anytime soon.

Thanks for the offer, I am waiting for someone's reply on E38 that has it down the road but he does take a fair while to respond! Are you in this morning by any chance?

Yeah, all day really.

Really can't do this afternoon- will see what tomorrow brings and if things turn ugly and still needs faults read will have to see you! Again, thanks for your help.

update to this is that engine light is due to brake switch. The airbag light, or rather lack of is another matter. It seems 2000-2001 cars are not compatible with Vagcom and if you scan the 'bags it can bugger them up more. Not good.

So I've got to go to the dealer tomorrow and he's going to find out once and for all if it's economically viable to fix. If it can't do it for buttons (he says if it's the actual unit it could cost up to a grand) he won't do it and will give me a full refund.

You'd think i'd be happy with that but I'm not- I really want to keep the car. What I'm thinking of doing is asking him for a few quid back to "fix" the problems.

The brilliant news is Rich has offered to help fix the car for me- which is brilliant. He clearly knows his stuff and has more parts lying about than VW themselves!

Come on Rich get in touch for the arrangements! ;)

Edited by sat1983

when i bought mine there where many problems like the engine management light kept comeing on and after going back to the garage 3 times it was fixed for now (touch wood) then the headlight wouldnt turn off, but now them problems are fixed after 3 months of owning :/ but what can you expect for my first car i new i wasnt going to get a "clean working" car for under £2000 my dad buys many second hand porsches,tvr's and other expensive cars and he still never has no problems with them so i guess you get a licky buy if you have no problems :)

Good news. Kinda. The guy has given me cash to sort the issues out- obviously nowhere near what it would cost me to get the car fixed at a proper garage. Still it'll buy me petrol and a sandwich.

The faults according to him are:

Lambda sensor

Oxygen map sensor (isn't that the same thing?)

Airbag obviously

Brake light switch

Other niggly bits are still door check straps, window switch, starter motor?, and a bit of a stiff boot handle.

Bargain! :huh:

Edited by sat1983

Good news. Kinda. The guy has given me cash to sort the issues out- obviously nowhere near what it would cost me to get the car fixed at a proper garage. Still it'll buy me petrol and a sandwich.

The faults according to him are:

Lambda sensor

Oxygen map sensor (isn't that the same thing?)

Airbag obviously

Brake light switch

Other niggly bits are still door check straps, window switch, starter motor?, and a bit of a stiff boot handle.

Bargain! :huh:

Most of the latter problems are just common faults with an ageing VW.

The brake light switches are common to just fail. Door check straps never last long, and the window switches are pretty useless aswell. But all are pretty easy to change and quite cheap to buy.

Regarding the starter motor, I presume you mean its sqeals on start-up? If so its just another common VW niggle. Even if you replace it, it will just come back with in a few months, and they are quite tricky to change.

Then the boot handle, water will have got into it and it will have corroded it stiff. My brother has just changed his handle, and the old one was totally nackered, fully corroded inside, bubbled on the outside, unuseable.

I bet all of these faults you will find with 90%+ of GTI's for sale.

mines is the same 02 reg 93k

replaced in 2 months

strut top mounts and bearings

coolant temp sensor

thermostat

wishbone bushes

still have 2 problems left, bearing on alternator is knackered but no great rush

rear wheel bearing needs replacing

my boot handle is also corroded!

my boot handle is also corroded!

Mine is ok amazingly- the handle is just a bit sticky and the lock itself won't turn with the key. Apart from that- it works perfectly! The bonnet opener handle is knackered too, but I do hear this affects all Lupo's as it's plastic on plastic.

The amazing thing is, for some reason, I love the GTI more and more- even with all it's niggly faults! :lol:

Edited by sat1983

Had a bit of a brown trouser moment this morning- EPC light comes back on, I brake- but clearly the TT behind me sees no brake lights. Combined with the fact that perhaps she didn't pay enough attention to what was in front, it really freaked me out. She was clearly quite angry- and rightly so.

I really need to get this fixed now- along with all the other issues. I miss new car reliability- it's really starting to get me down now. There's even a new knocking sound when I pull away now, and an occasional one when on full lock.

How much will all this cost me to fix!! I may as well have kept the MINI!

I think you have just been unlucky to be honest as think mine is brilliant apart from the usual wear and tear.

Brake light switch also failed on mine a few years back and is a brown trouser moment for sure as had no brake lights in rush hour.......I drove straight to a dealer bought the part and fitted it then and there.......cleared the fault later on at home and been fine since. Think it cost about £8 and is a common wear and tear part for the VW group