HOW TO: GTI clocks in a non GTI

Right then guys and gals this is my first how to so be nice :P

A lot of people seem to be wanting to fit gti clocks into thier non gtis at the moment with varying degrees of succes so i thought id show you the way i did it.

Step 1: Removing the cover

First undo the two screws underneath the dial cover:

IMG_0461.jpg

Then pull the upper plastic section off to reval the underframe:

IMG_0465.jpg

Then you need to undo the screws holding this on there is one at the top one at each side and one in the middle at the front

Then pull the frame towards you to remove it totally

Step 2: Removing your old clocks

If youve followed step 1 correctly you should be looking at something like this:

IMG_0466.jpg

Undo the two screws at the top and the clocks will lift up out of the dash to allow access to the green and blue connectors on the back

Theres a good amount of cable but be careful not to damage it you can then turn the clocks round to access the two connectors:

IMG_0467.jpg

To remove them push on the tab and pull the little lever downwards which will remove the cables:

IMG_0468.jpg

Step 3: Testing your new clocks

At this stage you get to find out if you get an easy or hard life and plug in your new clocks (they can only go in one way so dont force them) push your new clocks into the dash and start the car

Scenario 1: The lights all go out and the clocks work fine the rev counter and spedo also work

If thats the case then you need to order your gti clock surround and fit that this seems to happen with later model cars with the updated canbus system circa 2002ish

Scenario 2: All hell breaks loose the clocks beep you have a load of lights and niether the rev counter or the spedometer work

This happened to me and it seems i wasnt alone i have an early 1999 lupo but this has happened to later cars

If this happens procede to step 4

Step 4:Removing the internals

OK so youve spent money on your shiny chrome clocks and they dont work you now have 2 options sell them again or transplant your old speedo into the new surround

Start by removing all the small torx screws on the back of both sets of clocks:

IMG_0469.jpg

At this point you can remove both circuit boards from thier housings they just jiggle out be careful to unplug the clock wire form the gti clocks:

IMG_0474.jpg

You will then see that the connector shown below for the clocks on the gti dials is not present on your dials:

IMG_0475.jpg

This means that you cant retain the third dial with the clock

Its up to you what you do about that but if your doing it the way i did then you need to remove the third dial i did this using a dremel but its up to you how you do it in the photo below you can see the flat surface where i removed my third dial housing:

IMG_0472.jpg

Step 5: Swapping the needles (PLEASE TAKE CARE AS THIS IS A DELICATE OPERATION)

At this point you may wish to swap the chrome needles over to your new clocks to do this you need to very carefully wiggle your needles off of the base:

IMG_0476.jpg

Then you will be left with a hole and a little metal stick poking up:

IMG_0479.jpg

You now need to put your gti needles on your standard clock base wiggle them back on and make sure they dont catch on the base

You then need to set your needles to zero to do this turn your needle until it becomes stiff to turn and then gently move it to the zero position on your base

Do this for both needles making sure they dont catch on the base

Step 6: Reassembling your clock

Now you can put your old clocks with the gti needles into your modified gti housing and do up all the screws on the back

Step 7: Testing

Now plug your newly made clocks into your car and make sure they work as normal you should get no error messages as you are still using your original clocks and your mileage will also be correct

Then go for a short drive getting up to around 60 and make sure that your needles move freely and dont stick

During my first run i had the needles to far down and they got stuck but after some adjustment they worked fine

Step 8: Reassembly

Now you can put your clock covers back on with the screws and you should end up with something like this:

IMG_0461-1.jpg

Step 9: More modifications

The only problem you will now have is that the clock adjustment buttons are at the top of the gti dials and yours are at the bottom on your clock board

This is easily rectified by carefully drilling out the fake allen bolts allowing you to adjust your clock with a needle or similar by pushing it through the hole you made

Step 10: Completion

And there we have it you now have gti hybrid clocks

I hope this has been of use to you and i have written it well if you have any questions then feel free to ask

The advantages are that you keep your mileage but you do loose the third dial i have no workaround for this but its a price i was willing to pay

Please let me know your thoughts

Chris

:-)

Edited by madmanncfc
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

I followed this mate was a great help only 2 problems i now have is my needles not sitting right and when i turn my side lights on the clock ligh up but when i put the headlights on the clock lights go off? Any ideas? Thanks

• 9 months later...