Lupo 1.4 Gearbox Needs 6th Gear?

ChristopherReeve

Back Again :D Right im my 1.4 sport. it seams like you need a 6th gear?

it revs real quick and high up the rev range. even in 5th doing like 30mph its still revving hard?!

I would think thats just how they are?

What rpm's are you doing at 70mph?

• Like 1

I too feel that it really lacks sixth, on a motorway u pull back for a gear which just isnt there, and when a sport is maxxed it hits the rev limiter stopping it from going any quicker (a useful safety feature on a car which isnt the most aerodynamicly stable thing in the world). But it is geared to be "sporty" not to cruise on a motorway so the extra revs u have the whole time just help it pull better and feel more torquey. One reason why the sport is not particuarly economical.

The final ratio of a GTI 6 speed box is pretty much the same as the ratio of the 5 speed. Its only there for a more 'involving driving experience'

True but the 5 speed GTI box is different so the sport gearbox, sports have even lower gearing!

revs hard? lupo sport is stupidly slow!

the only thing I can think of is your car has been modified without you knowing or your first car was a mobility scooter!

get it on a rolling road!

5th gear at 30mph I can only imagine it would barely move!

well this lupo is my 6th car in 2 years so ive had my fair shout in cars. im not saying there fast, when you're in 5th it seams to need another gear. yeah i'm thinking of getting replacement box with longer ratios.

• 1 year later...

The final ratio of a GTI 6 speed box is pretty much the same as the ratio of the 5 speed. Its only there for a more 'involving driving experience'

I second this

Ah Right, I'm Not Saying I Want To Put A 6 Speed On My Lupo, Im Just Saying It Revs Hard And It Feels As Though There Should Be A 6th Gear sad.gif

Thanks For The Help Guys.

And if it makes you feel better, my polo has 6 gears but feels like it needs a 7th gear :surprised:

All the ratios are short, the lupo was a pop to the shop car not motorway driving.... I prefer a short ratio for work and back as 5th doing 30mph and car drives fine.. But on the motorway it is a 4k at 70 what isn't fun when I have to drive 117miles to the rents :/

Lol if you take the lupo on the motorway often you shoulda bought a diesel. At 70 it's like 2250 rpm but I stay at 60 (2k rpm) mines awesome on the motorway, and at 60 there's plenty of power to put my foot down and overtake.

Needless to say if I am gunning it I do look for a 6th gear. But I know a few people in VWs that do this too

Best way to solve this is stick an S gearbox in your sport, much more sensible ratios.

Nah still got the sport box in mine, it'll be swapped for the S box if it goes though. 4k is about right, tell you what though it's stopped me speeding on motorways, burns far too much juice haha