Lupo 1.4Tdi Fuel Pump...just stopped - no power??

I was driving home tonight and my 1.4Tdi Lupo went all lumpy as if it was out of fuel (which it wasn't)and then stalled...I then noticed the fuel pump wasn't making any noise as I turned the ignition.

I checked all the fuses including fuse no. 40 (fuel pump) no joy....just had to get RAC towed home :(

Does anyone know what may be up...Does the fuel pump have any other breakers / relays / fuses or resets? Is it driven by the ECU?

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Gareth

Having basically the same problems on mine , looks like its probably the immobiliser or the ecu tbh.

Mine had just been sitting for ages though , new battery on and nothing , no pump no injectors etc etc

12v to the pump fires that over but no injectors so wont fire properly.

Well the 1.4 TDI has a relay which controls the ECU, and the fuelling. It is known to fail (I personally know 2 people who've had it happen to them). One of the symptoms is that the engine will turn over but not start, almost as if there is no fuel getting through.

The relay does not usually log a fault code.

The immobiliser will normally let the car start and then cut the engine after about 1 second. It will log a code with the description "Engine start blocked by immobiliser".

The TDI mk2 I'm using atm has a 109, I even have a spare for you Scotty if this turns out to be it.

However if it is immmobiliser based then my offer still stands to code a different transponder box and key into your ecu.

ill see if i can pick up another key and transponder rich, would the relay be based under the dash behind the fuse box?

Scotty, if you remove the plastic undertray, you'll see two screws which hold the transponder box in place but I would try the relay first.

They're behind the fusebox in a drop down white plastic thing.

Easyish to get to.

nicola's lupo is now at addington after it failed to start on her friday night, it drove home , then after a shower she tried to go out, no glow plug lights,no fuel pump, tried 3 different fault code readers and none of them are registering the ecu, and i bought a new 109, 601 upside down, to no avail. i am thinking ecu tbh. we shall see

weird how mine done this and wasnt been driven ,it had been sat in the garage unused for months before i stuck on a charged battery and nothing worked.

Rich if its not the relay would i just be able to get another second hand key and transponder and use the chip part of the key into my key and code them all together to my ecu ?

Or is there another way of doing this ?

Mitch the ecu being the most expensive option im trying the cheaper ones first, fingers crossed it isnt the ecu though.

BTW when i went to vw the 109 relay comes up on the system for my reg but is greyed out as if to say the car doesnt have one, then next to it also greyed out is the cars its used on and it has 3L tdi.

Edited by scotty_82

Okay, the key chip is coded to the transponder box, the transponder box is coded to the ecu through vag com.

It's just a case of getting a key and box then going through vag com to code it in.

The chip from the new key can be placed into your existing key with minimal effort.

The same goes if you have to replace the ecu, you can pick up a coded ecu without the transponder which makes it cheaper and I'll just code it in to your existing key and box.

The golf mk3 key and chip is the same as the loop and they're fairly common so that makes it easier.

If you're wondering, I worked out how to do this when I built the VR cab. The key was missing so I just coded the ecu to the 2.0 8v key and box, been in daily use now for a few months and all is spot on with it.

Mitch, same applies.

Just spoke to my bro and i think he is breaking his mk3 abf so i might have his key and transponder.

Only other problem is there could be a possibility it could also be the toad/sister company alarm i have on the car, could that be cock blocking everything?

The abf stuff would be spot on.

Is it turning and just not starting ?

If you want the aftermarket alarm system removing that's actually a pretty easy job, just trace it back and remove the connections into the ignition circuit. Basically just remove it wire by wire reverting it all back to standard.

Well, we'll remove the alarm and try that, then relay, then code in a new chip and transponder, then if that hasn't worked you can find a new ecu or borrow one, code that in and all should be good.

I havent tried a code reader on mine yet , will tomorrow night though, ill let you know if it reads mine.