GTI Xenon headlight dismantling pics

Recently I had to replace a xenon bulb in my GTI. Unsurprisingly, after 8 years the lens inside the headlight becomes covered with a film of dirt. I couldn't say whether it reduces the light output of the headlight, but since I've already cleaned the O/S when I fixed the shutter I took the opportunity to do the same to the N/S. Hopefully the information will be useful to anyone looking to repair or modify their own Xenons.

Wheels off, arch liners out, and bumper off to access the headlight removal screws. At this point I had actually replaced the bulb but the headlight steamed up straight away. So, into the house for cleaning and drying out...

P1030173.jpg

There are 3 torx screws to remove the back off the headlight.

P1030174.jpg

Bottom right is the motor for the automatic levelling. Unplug, twist left, and slide the ball out of the plastic guide.

P1030175.jpg

P1030178.jpg

Pull off the connector for the xenon bulb. Twist to remove the indicator bulb. Unplug the solenoid.

P1030203.jpg

Gently prise off the 4 'U' clips which hold the bulb holder to the lens frame.

P1030201.jpg

Use two screwdrivers to open up the ball and socket and release the frame.

P1030186-1.jpg

Remove 4 screws and take out the lens for cleaning.

P1030189.jpg

Slide paper into the edge of the headlight to remove debris, if necessary (how does dirt get down there?).

P1030193.jpg

The removed components.

P1030191.jpg

The solenoid operated shutter mechanism. Upon reassembly, make sure the bar from the solenoid stays in the hole in the side of the shutter.

P1030200.jpg

Assembly is the reverse of removal.

jon_273