Jailbreaking PS3

JamesU

I've done it.

PS3 needs to be running FW3.41 or below and you need the relevant tools.

It allows you to run homebrew, back up loaders and your own code really.

The PS3 has just been hacked fully nearly by Geohot about 2 days ago.

If your running 3.55 (which if you've been playing online you will be) there's a few guides about on youtube about how to install it a Geohots customer firmware.

Thing is, if you install the CFW you run the risk of being banned and stuff by Sony should they counter act the issue.

If you need anymore information mate pop me a PM.

At the minute if you upgrade to the 3.55 cfw you get online access but there's no signed back up managers so you can only play your originals and run a small amount of homebrew.

If your still running 3.41 and using the Jailbreak then no, you can't play online.

I massively don't see any point in cracking a PS3, as the warranty is null and void if you do so. I also wouldn't risk being banned from the Playstation Network for something so unnecessary either.

I massively don't see any point in cracking a PS3, as the warranty is null and void if you do so. I also wouldn't risk being banned from the Playstation Network for something so unnecessary either.

But your not modifying the console in anyway using the Jailbreak dongle.

It's just exploiting a flaw.

And the reason it wasn't hacked for so long is because you could run Linux which allowed you to run homebrew on the console anyway - then Sony took this off which is why the console's problems have been highlighted.

But your not modifying the console in anyway using the Jailbreak dongle.

It's just exploiting a flaw.

And the reason it wasn't hacked for so long is because you could run Linux which allowed you to run homebrew on the console anyway - then Sony took this off which is why the console's problems have been highlighted.

Modifying firmware will also invalidate a warranty.

What flaw is it exploiting?

If the only reason that this jail breaking is so that you can play copied games then I hope Sony find away of stopping it because I hate all of that copied stuff.

Modifying firmware will also invalidate a warranty.

What flaw is it exploiting?

If the only reason that this jail breaking is so that you can play copied games then I hope Sony find away of stopping it because I hate all of that copied stuff.

The firmware isn't being run on the system, so when you boot the system minus the dongle it will show as your normal fw.

It forces the USB controller to register a mass number more devices allowing the system to be injected with code before the system can stop.

Sadly all hacking results in backup managers being created. As a developer myself I disagree with it, but with Linux on the PS3 we were able to run our own code and use the consoles engine and features to create some cool stuff without the need of hacking the console, now this has been removed for no reason.

Personally, Sony shot themselves in the foot.

The firmware isn't being run on the system, so when you boot the system minus the dongle it will show as your normal fw.

It forces the USB controller to register a mass number more devices allowing the system to be injected with code before the system can stop.

Sadly all hacking results in backup managers being created. As a developer myself I disagree with it, but with Linux on the PS3 we were able to run our own code and use the consoles engine and features to create some cool stuff without the need of hacking the console, now this has been removed for no reason.

Personally, Sony shot themselves in the foot.

Okay, I might be being a little naive here as I haven't long had a PS3 (I only bought one for GT5), but what sort of 'cool stuff' could you have before?

Okay, I might be being a little naive here as I haven't long had a PS3 (I only bought one for GT5), but what sort of 'cool stuff' could you have before?

You used to be able to install your own version of Linux. So basically your PS3 became similar to a stand alone PC.

From here we could emulate certain drivers / manipulate certain code to do what we wanted.

We were then able to produce our own games and run them / test games we were producing with placing them on to disc / create an FTP app so we could run them from multiple PC's and so on.

Good choice in buying one for GT5!

You used to be able to install your own version of Linux. So basically your PS3 became similar to a stand alone PC.

From here we could emulate certain drivers / manipulate certain code to do what we wanted.

We were then able to produce our own games and run them / test games we were producing with placing them on to disc / create an FTP app so we could run them from multiple PC's and so on.

Good choice in buying one for GT5!

Okay, why not just install Linux onto a PC though? I don't understand why you would want to be able to do this on a PS3? :confused:

Micp certainly sounds like he knows his stuff, My brother picked up a ps3 system for next to nothing and he uses that one for the likes of this stuff, but he never takes it online. His other ps3 is used for that.

With the hack your able to download and run games for free, and my brother being the sly man he is, bought a game, backed it up onto a third hardrive, then took the game back the same day, then all he had to do was put some form of blu ray disc into the ps3, boot the system in the hack mode with the USB, and open the file off the HD, and low and behold he's able to run the game he's just took back to the shop to swap for another. Personally i'm not into it, but thats because i'm not too big on gaming.

Micp certainly sounds like he knows his stuff, My brother picked up a ps3 system for next to nothing and he uses that one for the likes of this stuff, but he never takes it online. His other ps3 is used for that.

With the hack your able to download and run games for free, and my brother being the sly man he is, bought a game, backed it up onto a third hardrive, then took the game back the same day, then all he had to do was put some form of blu ray disc into the ps3, boot the system in the hack mode with the USB, and open the file off the HD, and low and behold he's able to run the game he's just took back to the shop to swap for another. Personally i'm not into it, but thats because i'm not too big on gaming.

Okay, thanks. I now understand what people are using the 'hack' for. Not a fan personally as I think a game is well worth it's shelf value when you consider the costs involved in developing one.

Okay, why not just install Linux onto a PC though? I don't understand why you would want to be able to do this on a PS3? :confused:

I'd imagine so build, compiling and testing etc. can be carried out on the hardware platform for which it is being developed.

I'd imagine so build, compiling and testing etc. can be carried out on the hardware platform for which it is being developed.

I would have thought it best to develop on a PC with the hardware spec in mind and then test it on the PS3.

Seems like a lot of work to get Linux on a PS3 though, when a netbook could be purchased more cheaply than a PS3 anyway. A PS3 is hardly well spec'd up for use as a computer.

I may have missed the point completely. If someone wishes to PM me with why you would want to run Linux on a PS3 then I'd be pleased to know.

PS: I don't work for Sony, or in any legal department don't worry! I'm just curious :lol:

I would have thought it best to develop on a PC with the hardware spec in mind and then test it on the PS3.

Seems like a lot of work to get Linux on a PS3 though, when a netbook could be purchased more cheaply than a PS3 anyway. A PS3 is hardly well spec'd up for use as a computer.

I may have missed the point completely. If someone wishes to PM me with why you would want to run Linux on a PS3 then I'd be pleased to know.

PS: I don't work for Sony, or in any legal department don't worry! I'm just curious :lol:

I agree with what you are saying, but I assume he's not working for a Sony authorised developer as he would have access to their development environment.

I agree with what you are saying, but I assume he's not working for a Sony authorised developer as he would have access to their development environment.

I too figured that as I doubt a Sony developer would be posting a public forum that you can 'jailbreak' a PS3.

Edited by NOCK

No I'm not a Sony developer.

I work for a smaller company that the larger companies outsource work too such as texture mapping and rendering.

We have limited access to the SDK because we simply can't afford it.

No I'm not a Sony developer.

I work for a smaller company that the larger companies outsource work too such as texture mapping and rendering.

We have limited access to the SDK because we simply can't afford it.

Interesting..I'm currently sat here trying to render something with mental ray in Maya and it's doing my head in!