engine seized!

I bought a lupo sport in need of a new engine as it had seized as the previous owner thought itd be best not to top up with oil.will the whole engine be seized or just the top/bottom end.ive been told its the bottom.i can get a bottom end from a salvage yard for £100,is this an option to be considered or should i get a new engine?thanks, Dan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what is the most cost effective thing to do?Mitch recomended getting the crank reground and new shells.does anyone know how much roughly this will cost?

Surely the most cost effective way is to just get another engine from a smashed up car and put that in there.

If you wanting to keep the car long term and want to increase the power from the engine then I can understand rebuilding it. But if its just the 'Cheapest' way go to a breakers and buy a complete engine and just swap it.

it is the most cost effective way but try finding one. not like sport engines are growing on tree's and cant be given away lol. rocking horse poop comes to mind.

easiest and quickewst way is to swap the whole thing. but without that option the reground crank and new shells is the only way forward, i've not seen a top end sieze yet.

Edited by Mitchell

it is the most cost effective way but try finding one. not like sport engines are growing on tree's and cant be given away lol. rocking horse poop comes to mind.

easiest and quickewst way is to swap the whole thing. but without that option the reground crank and new shells is the only way forward, i've not seen a top end sieze yet.

So really, i could just buy a new bottom end?just with u saying u havnt seen a top end sieze.i understand that i could be the wrong way to do it.but then it could be the right way.i wont know til i do it.if its the correct decision itll also be the cheapest am i right?cheers

Mixing the old head with a new bottom end is probably the cheapest at first but then you have to consider time, head gasket , is the head warped, new head bolts , possibly a timing belt etc etc

In other words dont do it that way lol

it's all a risk tbh, if the main crank bearings have gone and siezed the bottom end chances are the entire engine will have contaminated oil, i;e silver murky tinge in the brown oil. so it's a full strip down anyway.

if you buy a bottom end thats ok you will be putting your head onto it, so head gasket/head bolts, timing belt kit etc and then labour the cost will add up high.

best bet is indeed entire engine swap, but as i've said finding one is 1 task hoping it's a good one is another,

I was under the impression that you can't get main bearings, only a block complete with crank ready to go from VW? I guess other VW's ones fir but ELSA doesn't give any specs or instructions for rebuilding the Sport bottom end, just tells you once you undo the main bearing bolts the block distorts. Guess line boring of the blco kis possible, but thats getting expensive then.

Would it be possible to get a 75bhp and transfer his sport bits like cam, inlet etc over or wouldn't it be that that straight forward?

Thats a question id love to hear the answer to.very interesting i never thought of that.theyre the same engine as far as i know except the few components like cams etc so that could be an option.surely theres a boffin who knows?lol

Thats what i thought.can anyone enlighten me if this is correct or not?it might save me looking for a sport engine whilst also saving my pocket.win!

I was under the impression that you can't get main bearings, only a block complete with crank ready to go from VW? I guess other VW's ones fir but ELSA doesn't give any specs or instructions for rebuilding the Sport bottom end, just tells you once you undo the main bearing bolts the block distorts. Guess line boring of the blco kis possible, but thats getting expensive then.

i have also heard this today, but only one real way to find out.

mitch

dont tell me, Picola is your alter-ego on Saturday nights?lol.Or account hijack?What do u think about merging a 1.4 75bhp with my sport engine?like cams and stuff?cheers