Is my fuel evaporating or is just the extra tax?

Ola

I've had a read around for posts on this and I'm starting to get more and more worried about my broom broom.

Consistently I am getting around 36 mpg from my sport. I bought this car thinking it would be far far better than my land rover but is basically pushing 4 mpg more for just over half the defenders engine size.

I did read around quite a bit before I bought my lupe and was hoping to get 45 mpg as my commute is 15 miles of varied driving. There is a small section of duel carriage way 2 miles long and about 60 mph normally, the rest it a trundle along an a road at 40 and a few sets of lights.

I've been using spiritmonitor OWL THE LUPOS FUEL

I've just changed the plugs, cleaned out the throttle body, just about to change all filters and all the tyre pressure are correct. I change at 2000 if at all possible so what on earth is wrong.

I generally see how many miles to do per quarter tank and it's normally about 70 max but sometimes drops to 60 or less :S

Sorry for long boring post

Thanks in advance chaps for saving my fuel.

Air temperature, tyre inflation, condition of service and engine all have effects on fuel economy.

You'll get more MPG in the summer as the air is thinner due to the heat and therefore needs less fuel to burn, cold winter air has opposite effects.

Pressures all as per the book.

No excess wait at all other than my cuppa.

I drive in a massively fuel saving style changing at 2000 rpm and not accelerating fast at all

I commute 15 miles each way each day which is an extremely economical route.

I just can't work out why I do everything to get the best mpg possible and I such an awful return

My mums cooper s is getting the same mpg :/

im worrying too, its happening to me, i have a lupo 1.0, it used to do 200 miles on 20quid now its only doing 130-140 max doing same route etc to college. I drive it completely the same, its only done 19,000 miles so engine is in good condition and has new tyres on..

im worrying too, its happening to me, i have a lupo 1.0, it used to do 200 miles on 20quid now its only doing 130-140 max doing same route etc to college. I drive it completely the same, its only done 19,000 miles so engine is in good condition and has new tyres on..

Have you watched the news recently regarding fuel prices?

You need to give your fuel amounts in litres or gallons.

It's pointless saying you got 200 miles to £20. If fuel was cheaper I could get 300 miles to £20 but that'll never happen!

Have you watched the news recently regarding fuel prices?

You need to give your fuel amounts in litres or gallons.

It's pointless saying you got 200 miles to £20. If fuel was cheaper I could get 300 miles to £20 but that'll never happen!

hmmm yhh i suppose you've got a point there haha, didnt really think about it in that way thanks.

It's not the fact you're stopped that's costing you in fuel, you could idle there for hours if you wanted.

The economy hit comes from getting the car moving again, which is why you get better economy on long motorway drives rather than nipping to the shops.

Can't make than much of a difference though, same journey in my landy did 32 mpg similar speeds. Motorway journeys at 60 though I get the same mpg.

I've taken this eco driving so far, I drive so slowly I probably haven't stopped at lights for days because I time it.

There are quite a few sports over 40 mpg easily from what I've seen

on a run my sport gets around the 41-45 mark but normal driving i get around mid to high 30's

sports are just thirsty little cars, do you run it on super? if not that might contribute as to why aswell. sports are mapped to run on higher octane fuels such as v power

Landy engine needs to work less thought, my mate gets about 4mpg less than my lupo on average in his E36 328i

Funny you should say that our 2.8 z3 is doing 4 mpg worse than my car. I know landy does need to do less work but RPM wise in the landy I'm doing 2500 rpm at 50 which is pretty much the same as the lupo.

on a run my sport gets around the 41-45 mark but normal driving i get around mid to high 30's sports are just thirsty little cars, do you run it on super? if not that might contribute as to why aswell. sports are mapped to run on higher octane fuels such as v power

No I don't, I use do normal fuel at the moment. I did wonder this, although using a lower octane fuel shouldn't affect my consumption, only my power. On the fuel filler cap it says 95 ocatane, which is what I use, always shell.

Octane is only a tendency for the engine to knock and would only be a benefit in high compression engines. From my chemistry A level this is what I understand :S

I might give it a go though next time I fill up

I get similar mpg in my sport, running on either tesco super or vpower, most recently it's been vpower just to see if i get less black crap over the back end. My trips are all fairly short though, very rarely get out of the county, mostly just visiting sites for work. Interestingly the most economical it has ever been was when grannying it down to my mum's (about 180 miles mway) and it got 47.6. Conversely one trip up to a meet at Baltic where i was caning it, i got 45mpg. Go figure.

P

I drive in a massively fuel saving style changing at 2000 rpm and not accelerating fast at all

Its not a diesel, change at higher RPM, it will be labouring all the time if you are changing up at 2k!

I get similar mpg in my sport, running on either tesco super or vpower, most recently it's been vpower just to see if i get less black crap over the back end. My trips are all fairly short though, very rarely get out of the county, mostly just visiting sites for work. Interestingly the most economical it has ever been was when grannying it down to my mum's (about 180 miles mway) and it got 47.6. Conversely one trip up to a meet at Baltic where i was caning it, i got 45mpg. Go figure.

This is the kind of MPG I would love to get because my normal driving is quite a good run of steady driving

Its not a diesel, change at higher RPM, it will be labouring all the time if you are changing up at 2k!

I only change at 2000 if I'm on a flat and accelerating seriously slowly. Pushing it past 3000 though can't do anything but drink fuel though. In Owls manual it says change at 2000rpm for optimum efficiency.

I just don't understand why VW would post these figures out, of of them being over 50 mpg, if there was no realistic chance of reaching them.

Every other car I have ever driven I have always been able to far out do the combined cycle figure :S

i get really **** mpg, like 150 on a fulltank, gti. short 5mile trips to work. *shrugs*

Funny you should say that our 2.8 z3 is doing 4 mpg worse than my car. I know landy does need to do less work but RPM wise in the landy I'm doing 2500 rpm at 50 which is pretty much the same as the lupo.

No I don't, I use do normal fuel at the moment. I did wonder this, although using a lower octane fuel shouldn't affect my consumption, only my power. On the fuel filler cap it says 95 ocatane, which is what I use, always shell.

Octane is only a tendency for the engine to knock and would only be a benefit in high compression engines. From my chemistry A level this is what I understand :S

I might give it a go though next time I fill up

pretty sure in the handbook its says runs at a reduced rate on on normal 95 octane,

Our sport used to get around 44mpg consistantly when our previous jobs involved a motorway/A road run each day.

Now my wife just uses it for a a hilly B road 20 min drive to work and fuel consumption has dropped dramatically. I reckon I now get 230-250 from a tank as opposed to 270-300 on a long run before.

As mentioned before it is all down to air temp, road conditions, tyre pressure/condition, servicing and definitely fuel. 97ron does give me more MPG from the tests I have done at home.

Incidently I usually change around 3500-4000rpm

Adrian.