Bep51's Lupo Sport - ATS 5-Stars

BEP51

one word........ pristine! :D lovely car mate

Thanks! but nowhere close to pristine... i could spend all day pointing out imperfections lol!

Want to get the red tim-tom interior parts done in a brighter plain red to match the exterior better.

-Also may look out for a replacement sport rear beam as my rear left seems to have more positive camber than my rear right?

Most of my efforts are on my Dad's R32 now as that is far closer to show standard, only a few interior bits of trim to replace, the rear bumper needs sorting proerly, pressed GB plaetes, then a few cat scratches to polish out. Then its perfect! and for me insurance is a tenner for 3 days, so will be driving it a few times this year i expect!

cimg7432.jpg

On the "childrens" parade laps, good fun actually. WIll be at Haynes motor museum test circuit for a day session in august/september, the track their is too small for the R32, and the lupo is more expendable... :/ Then i may well be going for a full track day at coombe for the audi day in october.

I'm going to roll the arches because they scrub. The rear wheels are spaced and just catch the lips when u hit a big bump or corner hard.

Looked good at Combe dude, was nice to meet you :D

Thanks, nice to meet you too! was great that a lupo won the show and shine too!

• 4 weeks later...

Got some new pads fr the machine polisher the other day, they are great quality!

Here are the results (2 days after clean)

cimg7544z.jpg

cimg7556n.jpg

Shiny shiny!

Pressed plates next, and wheel refurb in a lighter silver, maybe dent removal (for all the little dints) if i can afford it. also will be ordering a rear arb when i get my first paycheque (if it is large enough) as i still feel the car is very roly poly at the moment and i would love to feel the rear a little more frisky (no sexual innuendo meant)

Will be getting my painter friend to respray a spare boot handle for me, and perhaps i will get him to do the filler cap too, but that really needs to be colourmatched properly. maybe my drivers mirror aswell as the laquer i sprayed on has reacted slightly.

Will search for a new front bumper next year as i want to repair the damage caused by previous owner and have that reprayed along with the indicator surround. (and one fog light has condensation).

After all that is done it will be as perfect as i can get it without a full respray!

Edit: still need to roll the rear arches slightly! will pick up some red hammerite and borrow a heatgun in a fourtnight when i finish work.

Edited by BEP51

Looking super clean there Ben. How come you're rolling your arches??

Thanks, its cos the spacers make the rear right scrub either on big bumps or with passengers, i dont like the idea of hitting a big bump at speed and the tyre shredding!

Non Lupo related:

Had a clean of dad's car today, got rid of some deep scratches on the rear quarter with the machine polisher which pleased my greatly. But i ran out of my tyre blacker (brake fluid lol! - the best stuff by far)

cimg7571v.jpg

cimg7569t.jpg

You can see how the upper part of the rear bumper is too dark (more obvious in real life) and the lower part is the right colour but far too orange peely, turns out the bodyshop didnt want to say that their spectrometer was broken and they had been colourmatchng by eye, so the car is going back in on tuesday to get that done when theri machine is fixed and to have a 2nd rear left light fitted after they replaced the broken one with another broken one! will go on at them to replace the exhaust surround too which has a subtle warp in it.

Getting dad some pressed plates from dubmeister for his birthday in two weeks (standard style with GB on the side - wolfsburg plate surround on rear only), he is also going to insure me on it for that bank holiday weekend! only a tenner for 3 days! hes also going to be gettign all the tiny parking dents, about 8 in total, removed soon! - he also wants a new rear boot badge as the current one has spidering through the laquer.

Will be insured for 27-29 this month (all going to plan) so will be taking it to the swdubs meet on the sat, gf will be with me, and dad will probs tag along too to keep an eye on me lol! but you would be welcome to take the other seat should you wish!

• 3 weeks later...

Mini R32 update:

cimg7586.jpg

cimg7587.jpg

Pressed plates: soon to come for the lupo too.

Not entirely happy with the colourmatching of Holley's 4th attempt, the finish is perfect, however, as you can see in the photo the bottom is lighter than the top and the top is too dark compared to the bodywork. Still unsure whether to insist it is sent elsewhere or to try to ignore it (though it draws the eye every time we look at it). - and you can see the warp on the right of the exhaust surround that holleys cant be arsed to replace.

Hopefully will have some nice pics taken of the lupo this saturday.

Edited by BEP51
  • Like 1

Met up with a local photographer called Alexander Farrance (flikr), and he took a fair few pics of my car for his portfolio. He recently did a shoot for Jabbles21 too.

I think he did a great job, here are some of my favourites!

VWsFront.jpg

VWGSide.jpg

VWGFront.jpg

FrontCourtyard.jpg

ForeyardU.jpg

VWGFront-2.jpg

ScaffoldingFront.jpg

RiverRear1.jpg

RiverLandie.jpg

Rear1.jpg

FrontStandard1.jpg

BuildingFront2.jpg

BuildingFront1.jpg

Let me know what you think!

He will be doing some night shots of our R32 sometime soon...

Thats one very clean lupo, love the last photo.

Thanks - i was surprised how well it came up, havent polished it since mid july, just gave it a rinse and single wax layer.

those pics look awesome, as does the the car! :)

btw how much have you lowered it? I'm a fan of the 'doesn't look lowered, but it is' look :P

No idea mate, nobody ever does, if they state a figure they are inventing it, as unfortunately coilovers dont come with little mm scales next to them! - but i would estimate vaguely between 30 and 50mm, but only way to find out is to get coilovers and fiddle getting camber roughly right, then let them bed in for a few weeks, then fiddle some more and then get them tracked and aligned properly, even cheap coilovers will ride nicely when at this height - it feels like a factory "sport" option/upgrade, some minimal scraping on the plastic engine undertray but thats it.

• 4 weeks later...

Rear ARB ordered! will get it fitted as soon as i can (probs next weekend) and will give a concise review of it!

Edited by BEP51

Rear ARB fitted with thanks to 20vturbob5 off swdubs.com!

Just got home and sent my email to the insurers to let them know it has now been fitted, will go and test it properly when the roads clear up a bit later.

Instant reactions - i feel the car through my back where before i didnt (not a bad thing as it keeps you involved) - bumps on one side of the car are now shared with the other and you can actually feel it do it (makes it feel far more like Dad's R32 to drive in this sense). First reaction when turning to a corner is it turns in far quicker and the car feels very wide and stable at the rear and very narrow and agile at the front. This has obviously made a huge change to the car's handling so i will take it steady to get used to it this evening.

it isnt very visible under the car from the rear, however when viewed from the rear 3/4 view, the bar is notable, so i will park backwards whenever i go home to hide it!

Bar was a really easy fit, photos were really good on instructions, but arrangement diagram for the bolts and washers etc was blatantly wrong or for a completely different RARB.

Will update this evening if im not involved in an accident!

Nice write up man glad you like it.

Keep it up, looks so sweet

Joe

That wasnt the write up lol, the write up will be to come, i only had a mini test of it this evening and got the rear right wheel off the ground on a quick right turn, i could hear the edge of it just scuffing the uneven surface. it kinda does exactly what you expect a rear anti-roll bar to do lol. but will be doing some more twisty roads with it next week when back from london.

Been on the M-way with it today and through the long curves it feels lovely and flat giving so much confidence!

On the way back took a few side streets quickly and u can feel it 3 wheeling round! - back came out once for about 1m on one turn and pointed the car beautifully, it was an expected slide tho and easy to drive with. - looks like im going to enjoy driving this car quite a bit more! - more updates next week when back from london, i know some lovely twisty roads to test it on next!

Oh and i did find that it scrapes on speedbumps if i go quickly, especially on the pad speedbumps so will have to take it slowly!

Edited by BEP51