HT Leads to coilpack

Lubilu

Hi all,

I've been trying resolve a slight misfire on my other halfs 1.0 litre Lupo. It got to the point where it would misfire as soon as you apply the throttle more then half. So i took a look at the HT leads, they looked past it. So i took the air box on top of the engine off and put some insulation tape round the top of the plugs as a temporary measure til i could get some more, but its even more. Its idling terribly and its misfiring which sounds like on more then one cylinder... it awful and undrivable.

So i went to EPC and bought a new set of leads thinking this would cure the problem. But nope, its just as bad if not slightly worse. Now its had a coilpack in the past and that didnt cure the slight misfire.

As a precaution could anyone tell me which HT lead goes into which plug on the coilpack - doesnt appear to be labelled. Need to rule out the school boy error of putting 2 of them in the wrong way round.

Cheers

Have you changed the plugs?

Coil pack is probably wasted spark so wont matter which way the leads are on, but not 100% on that.

Not changed the plugs no, but thats the next step i think. The thing is, it was misfiring before but no where near as bad as it is now, after ive been messing with the leads and even changing them.

The coilpack will fire in a certain order so it will matter which cylinder goes to which plug on the coil pack via the HT lead. Just need to know which is which.

Which 1.0 engine is it?

Some of the 1.0 MPI's have a distributor not a coil pack. Which might mean your distributor has gone out of timing, or the hall sender in the distributor is knackered.

How is is mounted?

Round thing attached to the side of the engine directly with 5 leads and a 3 pin plug (dizzy) or is it a square box with 4 leads and a 3 pin plug? (coil)

John

Which 1.0 engine is it?

Some of the 1.0 MPI's have a distributor not a coil pack. Which might mean your distributor has gone out of timing, or the hall sender in the distributor is knackered.

How is is mounted?

Round thing attached to the side of the engine directly with 5 leads and a 3 pin plug (dizzy) or is it a square box with 4 leads and a 3 pin plug? (coil)

John

Hi John,

Not sure on the engine code, but i can find out. Its definately a coilpack as opposed to a dizzy. The coilpack is mounted on the right side as you look at the engine.

Edited by Lubilu

Can someone tell me where the temp sensor is on a lupo with engine code AUC?

Probably on the water inlet housing, right of the engine where the hose comes from the bottom of the rad(From memory) think it's green, 4 pin plug.

Edited by 99hjhm

• 1 month later...

Ok, Im still in need of help! Need this car working as i need Corrado back from the gf, so i can use it for work.

Changed leads, Plugs and tried a different coilpack. Found a hole a vacuum pipe which ive used insulation tape to seal. The flexi pipe before the cat had given up and a hole and formed in the centre box. Changed the centre box and back box. ALso had a new flexi pipe welded on. Got it fitted today. Cleared any codes from the ECU.

BUT... the problem remains. Though not as bad. When its revved whilst stationary, its fine. But when it settles to idle, it splutters still and almost dies. Took it for a spin and it seemed ok when going, but spluttered again when clutch down at junctions. Then it lost power and wouldnt go much. Not spluttering, but revs wouldnt build up.

Engine light was flashing again, got back home - was just driving round the block. Scanned it again, lo and behold the fault codes had reappeared - "Random misfire, cylinder 2 and 3 misfire"

Please please help, need this car back on the road asap.

Cheers chaps.

SUre you've already sent me this pic. Cheers anyway.

changed plugs, leads, coilpack, changed exhaust as it had a couple of holes in it. Today i cleaned gunked up throttle body. Car is running better but still not 100% right. The car runs, the idle is better but still lumpy, when driven it still looses power and comes back. VAGCOM is still showing random misfire but only on cylinder 2 now.

Anything else i can check?

Edited by Lubilu

Could it be the throttle body itself that is knackered? Have you given it a good thorough clean out?

Yeah gave a good clean yesterday and it did help but didnt slow the problem.

Took the champion sparkplugs out today and replaced them with a set of bosch. The car is alot better it drives not too bad. If you're on throttle, its when the the car idles, its still idling rough, but not as bad as it was before. It can idle how it should for 30 seconds but then a slight splutter.

The plugs that came out were black, didnt particularly smell of fuel, but the car hadnt been started since sunday lunch time. WOuld the plug still smell of fuel if the car hasnt been started for a while. Assuming its overfuelling.

Yeah Phil, i thought changing the spark lead too. But didnt solve it, turns out the hole in the exhaust caused most of the issue. But the faulty HT lead prevented it from going completely.

ECP refunded in full today :D