Coming back to the Fold

Poobah

Warm greetings guys and gals!

I've been away a long time but from looking at some of the newer posts, there are some of the old faces still rumbling about. Good to see. :)

I'm thinking of returning to Gti ownership and wanted to know if anyone else has previously owned one, been away and owned bigger faster machinery and then come back to owning a Gti and been happy they did it and not regretted it? Whatever car i get will have to be a long term keeper so i need to get it right.

Since having my first Gti i've had a Megane 225 Cup, a 197 and now a heavily modified R26 but with needing to downsize, i'm thinking a return to a Gti would be ideal.

So who's done it and would you recommend it?

Cheers in advance. Obligatory pics of current and previous motors below: :)

Current

IMG_7083bLarge.jpg

IMG_7100aCustomLarge.jpg

IMG_7051aLarge.jpg

Past

DSC00628Medium.jpg

meg225krims2.jpg

DSC00636.jpg

Edited by Poobah

Cheers. p/x? ;)

R26 is a fantastic car. Really love it, but the Mrs wants to move and so i'll need to downsize cars and regain a wee bit of cash as a result.

Can understand that. Was in jest as i'd really be looking for a Raven or Antracite Gti this time round i think. :)

So any more thoughts ladies and gents? Would i regret going back to a Gti? Owning my first one gave me some of my best driving moments and i remember it being so capable and punching above it's weight.

Ive thought about getting rid a couple of times to go back to a Lupo, sold the lupo in a PX deal in March '09 for an R32 and as much as i love the car & the looks i get (its slotted into a show MK2 golf) i miss the wee thing sometimes!

I do think when I get rid of mine I will miss it, it's definately got a personality of it's own. Full of character that I don't think another car will have. I can see me having another in the future!

Warm greetings guys and gals!

I've been away a long time but from looking at some of the newer posts, there are some of the old faces still rumbling about. Good to see. :)

I'm thinking of returning to Gti ownership and wanted to know if anyone else has previously owned one, been away and owned bigger faster machinery and then come back to owning a Gti and been happy they did it and not regretted it? Whatever car i get will have to be a long term keeper so i need to get it right.

Since having my first Gti i've had a Megane 225 Cup, a 197 and now a heavily modified R26 but with needing to downsize, i'm thinking a return to a Gti would be ideal.

So who's done it and would you recommend it?

Cheers in advance. Obligatory pics of current and previous motors below: :)

Current

IMG_7083bLarge.jpg

IMG_7100aCustomLarge.jpg

IMG_7051aLarge.jpg

Past

DSC00628Medium.jpg

meg225krims2.jpg

DSC00636.jpg

I have an tuned Audi TT 3.2 DSG fitted with a Milltek system not a lot will touch it on the road nukes an R32 in standard form

Still enjoy driving my Lupo Gti as a weekend toy but thats why i bought it because it reminded me of my much missed Mk1 Golf Gti Campaign won't sell it, won't ever make the same mistake again.

Suppose I am lucky as have best of both worlds

It isn't all about speed its about how much fun you can have the Lupo is tuned to 140 bhp & is great fun & a real talking point as you probably remember from owning yours, hardly anyone knows what they are

I wouldn't hesitate to buy back a Lupo gti it is in the all time top 10 VW's to drive before you die for good reason, good luck if you decide to try & bag a nice, straight one as they are now in even shorter supply

Edited by leweylupo

i went from a tuned vr6 corrado to a 230bhp mk4 gti, and i much prefer my lupo gti now...why? reminds me of the mk1 gti i had for ten yrs - light, tiny hatches are just pure entertainment to drive everyday; can't go wrong

Poobah

Have not done it, but certainly flirted with the idea.

Lupo Gti (wrote off)

Golf mk4 turbo

Clio 182 (sadly missed as well)

Ford Fiesta ST

Alfa Mito 155

Alfa Mito Cloverleaf.

All good stuff, enjoyed ownership of all, and yet there is still a special place in my heart for the Lupo.

Black (fastest colour) 6spd and air.

Really miss the xenons even now.

Jason (vintage member)

Thanks for your help guys. I think i'm pretty much decided that the R26 will have to go when i move house and a Gti is right at the top of the shopping list. As was the case when i bought my last one, it'll be a struggle to find one that's the right colour, history etc that someone actually wants to sell!

Wish me luck! :)

I'm in exactly the same position... use to have a Lupo GTi (the one in my signature) and loved it. Since then however I've owned a few cars all of which are or have been a lot more powerful but its not always about that, Lupo GTi's are so much fun and I'm on the hunt for another :shades:

Currently running around in my Evo 6 (350+bhp) and Prelude 2.2 Vtec, previously had a 200sx and various Golf GTi's (Mk1,2 &3)

P1010698.jpg

Evo.jpg

DSCF0277.jpg