HELP 1.7 SDI horrible MPG

Guest torto

hello everyone.

I bought an AROSA 1.7 sdi hoping to have good MPG but nearly a week testing it and got just 35 MPG, people are comparing with 75 and 80 mpgs :) and I'm doing just 35, unbelievable :furious:

I visited several garages around but everyone says the same,

1. the engine runs perfectly as they say

2. no leaking of diesel

3. just glow plugs don't work but they say it doesn't effect mpg at all, its just for starting the engine

any idea?

one of the mechanics told me it can be diesel pump which can provide more diesel then needed and he suggested to replace diesel pump which costs nearly 200 if used and around 400 if new .

so if it's the pump is there any chance to adjust the diesel flow or something like that?

hoping on your experience clublupo

Edited by torto

What kind of driving are you doing? cos, admittedly, it is quite a low powered car and will use fuel more than a more powerful car (bigger lasier engines idea) to get up to speed at the same rate as another car. so if it is semi-town driving dont be too surprised, on the opposite end of the scale with a small engine to keep a decent motorway speed also uses a lot of fuel, u cant expect the highest mpg's unless u r doing about 40-50mph smoothly everywhere in fifth.

Im not gonna profess to be an expert on diesel, but as far as i can understand, glow plugs still help to make a more complete combustion, however shouldnt effect economy by any notable amount, tho, may perhaps reduce the engine output slightly? Anyone else know more about these?

What kind of driving are you doing? cos, admittedly, it is quite a low powered car and will use fuel more than a more powerful car (bigger lasier engines idea) to get up to speed at the same rate as another car. so if it is semi-town driving dont be too surprised, on the opposite end of the scale with a small engine to keep a decent motorway speed also uses a lot of fuel, u cant expect the highest mpg's unless u r doing about 40-50mph smoothly everywhere in fifth.

Im not gonna profess to be an expert on diesel, but as far as i can understand, glow plugs still help to make a more complete combustion, however shouldnt effect economy by any notable amount, tho, may perhaps reduce the engine output slightly? Anyone else know more about these?

I'm doing about exactly 40-50mph, thats how the car drives just 35mpg, when I drive faster mpg is going down.

all the mechanics say it is not normal for this light car with diesel engine, they also say that the engine is working perfectly and there are no leakings, they thought the reason was the faulty diesel pump but i showed it to diesel pump mechanic and he told me there is no black smoke so it is not there business. :o:)

just dont know what to do :blink:

how are you actually calculating the MPG? don't over rely on the onboard computer

the most accurate way is to work it out via the tripometer and running from a full tank down to reserve light coming on.

Lupos dont have an MPG readout. OP, are you sure you are doing your sums right?

Not towing a caravan full of lead piping or anything?

• 1 month later...