Skoda Fabia VRS 1.9 TDI

Putney

I give it the thumbs up...

I picked the car up earlier this week and have covered a few miles in it now including a quick thrash down my favourite road in the new forest.. Very twisty stuff. I got 50MPG down from London driving at my normal motorway speeds. 70-80  with a fully loaded up car with xmas goodies and two extra people with me.

It’s fairly quiet in side, I think a change of tyres could get the cabin noise down further. Radio CD is average. Seats are comfy however a little soiled due to the fabric being so light in colour. I gave them a steam clean today and it came up pretty well… Needs another going over to be totally happy with it. The car is a one owner car, previous owner was disabled, so no door dents and the body work is as close to ‘as new ‘as it could be… no faded paint or stone chips and with only a scratch on the wing mirror.. It’s just ticked over 45,000 miles which is pretty good for a 6 year old car, new brake discs and pads all round. Serviced with water pump and cam belt just done. Also came with one years warranty, parts and labour and road side assistance.

I am very impressed with the engine. You can have some fun from 1500-3000rpm. The gear box is light and feels evenly matched to the engine… I think 2nd could be a little taller but that’s personal preference… I am used to revs in my s2000….

My only criticism after the seats would be its a bit rolly polly in the corners… I havn’t been in a modern hot hatch since my Leon Cupra R but this could certainly do with a slightly stiffer ARB.

So to sum up… cheap to run, at a guess 400-450mpg tank range, a little soft in the corners however if you have selected the correct gear there is a nice dollop of torque to pull you out of the corner. Which is fun..

Nice one. I wanted one, but Mrs M "wasn't ready" for a Skoda, so we bought the tartier Ibiza FR TDI. That'll be nearly six years ago.

Handling is a bit nose heavy, especially after the Mini Cooper. No real problems other than having rear suspension bushes regreased. Road noise is the worst aspect I think.

The Revo remap worked wonders on ours. Three years on, still loving it, particularly on the motorway.

A friend of mine has the Ibiza fr tdi and has said pretty much everything you just have! Very fond of understeer and quite noisy. He had his remapped at revo aswell and it was just a different car! Low range torque is incredibly good!

I bought one a couple of months back to replace my 330d as a daily. Obviously not quite as refined but I'm more than happy with it. Get 50 odd mpg on a run and sometimes see 60 on the way home from work. It's a great all rounder, cheap to run, fun to drive and quick.

A set of -25mm eibach springs and a rarb will sort the rolly suspension. I'm getting some ordered after Christmas and hopefully a cheeky remap.

Edited by Huw Pugh

I have had mine a few years now, covered over 70k and its never let me down!

Fuel consumption is outstanding, 58mpg+ daily + 550+ miles to a tank.

I have the factory fitted Conti Sport Contact 2's, they can be a little noisey on concrete roads however they perform very well in all conditions! I have twice achieved 40K out of a set!

Mine is standard bar a few acessories (carpet and rubber mats, boot liner, headlamp protectors, full set of steels and Ipod connection) I have thought about a re-map but for mainly motorway commuting its pointless.

Another thumbs up here.

I replaced a Jan. '05 Lupo GTi with an '04 vRS (idea was I going to buy a race blue LE / SE - can never remember which it is - however, went to look at the one I have now just to pass the time of day and ended up buying - FSH and it was an older guy who had it previously - he ploughed up and down the A75 Euro route between his home in Stranraer and work in Dumfries). Was left with two grand in change between the Lupo and vRS.

Not as special or as much of a driver's car as a Lupo GTi but I really like it - the PD130 engine is fantastic - the lazy delivery suits me - very relaxing to drive and the torque's there to get past slow-moving traffic if needed. Handling isn't exactly razor-sharp, but I'm well past the stage of going round corners on the door handles - very enjoyable coming out of a corner and then riding the torque as you move through the gearbox though.

On the plus side against the Lupo, it's obviously more practical - you even get a glovebox :lol: . Parts are also cheap and readily available - unlike the Lupo, the gearbox isn't model specific and no worries about sourcing body parts (heard you can't get an aluminium bonnet from VW any more for the Lupo - if I'd kept the Lupo and I'd had to replace the aluminium bonnet with a steel one then that would have spoiled the car a bit for me).

Still miss the Lupo though :( .

Edited by Fow Vay

I agree, It's not as special as a lupo gti.. The lupo gti was one of my favourite little cars.. I loved it and would happily have another. however I consider the lupo a little bit too special to be given to an inexperienced driver and thats why I didn't short list it. I drove my s2000 yesterday for the first time this week, i was considering selling it however i love the engine.. I will be looking this spring for something else , but it will have to be something exciting.... maybe a z4m..

Edited by Putney

Another thumbs up here.

I replaced a Jan. '05 Lupo GTi with an '04 vRS (idea was I going to buy a race blue LE / SE - can never remember which it is - however, went to look at the one I have now just to pass the time of day and ended up buying - FSH and it was an older guy who had it previously - he ploughed up and down the A75 Euro route between his home in Stranraer and work in Dumfries). Was left with two grand in change between the Lupo and vRS.

Not as special or as much of a driver's car as a Lupo GTi but I really like it - the PD130 engine is fantastic - the lazy delivery suits me - very relaxing to drive and the torque's there to get past slow-moving traffic if needed. Handling isn't exactly razor-sharp, but I'm well past the stage of going round corners on the door handles - very enjoyable coming out of a corner and then riding the torque as you move through the gearbox though.

On the plus side against the Lupo, it's obviously more practical - you even get a glovebox :lol: . Parts are also cheap and readily available - unlike the Lupo, the gearbox isn't model specific and no worries about sourcing body parts (heard you can't get an aluminium bonnet from VW any more for the Lupo - if I'd kept the Lupo and I'd had to replace the aluminium bonnet with a steel one then that would have spoiled the car a bit for me).

Still miss the Lupo though :( .

I agree with all of the above. Except that I kept my GTI when I got my VRS... B)

The VRS is the *ideal* motorway cruser. Just sit back and overtake effortlessly riding the torque wave. But it lacks the feel and the charm of the Lupo. A Lupo "wound up" is a lovely thing...

I have thought about a re-map but for mainly motorway commuting its pointless.

Trust me, it's not pointless. MPG is improved (we average an extra 6-8mpg) and if you're tooting along at 75-80mph when Mr Repknobhead flashes you out of the way in his generic German entry level saloon, the look of embarrasment on his face as you effortlessly shoot off is worth the price alone. I think the sole reason we have kept the Ibiza for as long as we have is purely down to the remap.

I've wanted one to replace my lupo with for a while, but due to being in my last year of University studying hard and then working after hours its hard to getting around to looking at one! Think it may have to be a present to myself come end the end of May when exams are over and I'll be doing even more miles!

I have to say I think they look pretty cool too :blush: A good little read Putney and Fow Vay.

I agree with all of the above. Except that I kept my GTI when I got my VRS... B)

The VRS is the *ideal* motorway cruser. Just sit back and overtake effortlessly riding the torque wave. But it lacks the feel and the charm of the Lupo. A Lupo "wound up" is a lovely thing...

Couldn't agree more! I have both the GTI and VRS!

If I can't get my leaking rear door carrier :angry2: fixed it might be back to a Lupo for me :lol: .

There's an anthracite (my favourite colour GTi) 54 plate one on Autotrader that I'm 99.99% certain used to belong to someone on here but can't remember his user name.

My old GTi is also for sale but I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole now...

I am considering the remap however i would rather put the money towards leather seats.... its quick enough already to be honest... planning a road trip in the summer down to france

SkodaFabiaVrsinBlacknappawithLimegreenquiltedcentreseditedlowres.jpg

Yes mate really like these!

Skodafabiaquiltedblackandgreenstitchlowresedited.jpg

Might do the S2000, that has **** standard leather which isn't that soft either....

i wonder how much it would be for my s2000.... I only have two seats and door cards.

Had a wee blast in the vRS today to clear out the cobwebs - between 30 and 70 on a straight B road is still great fun because it feels quicker that it actually is (which, like the Lupo, isn't terribly - however, that isn't always the point) - love 3rd and 4th gears - especially getting pushed back in my seat when giving it beans in 3rd.

The Fabia has its faults but it's fantastic value for money.

Edited by Fow Vay

I have a little damp patch in the back :) in the foot well. So how do i fix this? I heard the door seals have a problem.. common fault...

Also anyone tried V power diesel? It seemed to push my motorway mpg up to around 60MPG where as I was only getting 53 mpg at best previously.