Clattering engine

1.4 16v lupo auto

very loud engine, sounds tappety,. like a bad diesel, flushed the oil etc and it sounded better for a while, did about 500 miles sounded fine under acceleration and no revs deceleration, but with slight revs on deceleration you could hear tappety noise...and then got really bad, sounds pretty ****ed, but hoping, its just a blocked oilway or something.....and that the tappets are just starved of oil = clattering

dumped the oil which was only 500 miles old and its pretty damn dirty / sludgey

trying to get the sump off...which is a pain, as its been off before (dont know if thats good sign or bad ??) and some of the allen bolts are rounded....but i`ll get there i guess

also, whats the craic witht eh nut dead close to the CV, can you cut down an allen key to get at that bolt perhaps ? any tips appreciated

once off...pressuming the crank and bearings are reasonable...how do i go about checking / clearing all the oil ways ????

any advice . experience. wisdom appreciated

hope the engine isnt scrap cos i`m really lovin the little loop

ok, so i`ve decided to whip the rocker cover off for quick peak and notice the cams are attached to the rocker

do you have to take all the belts off the end gears...or can you just undew the 2 end gears and pop them off and the lift the rocker / cams off ?

took the belts off and the rocker, the hydraulic tappets are foooked, most of them are siezed, i.e, they dont move in and out, that`ll explain it then

anyone know how much tappets are ?

• 2 years later...