Inception

Pete

Ok, I downloaded this yesterday and watched it last night with my fiance. It started off ok and I followed it fine mostly, but there are a few things I didn't get, especially when they started jumping into further dreams. Here are my main queries although I'm sure with a bit more time I could think of loads more!

1. I thought only the architect could add/remove things to the dream except the originator of the dream, yet no matter who's dreaming it seems the main character(leonardo) is able to include his wife and kids in it whenever he fancies.

2. When it comes to the dream inside the dream plot how come when they're being chucked about in the van, the bloke who used to be in 3rd rock from the sun got chucked about in the 2nd dream alot more than anyone did in the 3rd or 4th dream.

3. When the main character and the oriental chap are in limbo then how come although they've been down there for longer than anyone else, they still wake up at the same time?? Surely the whole idea of being in limbo is that they'll be there for good. The oriental chappy has grown old so he's about ready to die anyways so if he dies of old age and still wakes up at the same point as everyone else then where exactly is the peril in being down there?? Plus nowhere is it mentioned in the movie that killing yourself in limbo results in you being brought back to reality, how does that work?!?!?

4. The bloke driving the van dies in the 1st dream as he drowns, how come he doesn't end up in limbo??

Anyone who's seen the film got any answers or theories for me?! And yes, I do have some spare time on my hands today!

I found few things I didn't understand too, like there's no gravity in the hotel because of the van falling.. why isn't it the same in the snow bit?

See point 2, cool pic btw.

Ok, I downloaded this yesterday and watched it last night with my fiance. It started off ok and I followed it fine mostly, but there are a few things I didn't get, especially when they started jumping into further dreams. Here are my main queries although I'm sure with a bit more time I could think of loads more!

1. I thought only the architect could add/remove things to the dream except the originator of the dream, yet no matter who's dreaming it seems the main character(leonardo) is able to include his wife and kids in it whenever he fancies.

2. When it comes to the dream inside the dream plot how come when they're being chucked about in the van, the bloke who used to be in 3rd rock from the sun got chucked about in the 2nd dream alot more than anyone did in the 3rd or 4th dream.

3. When the main character and the oriental chap are in limbo then how come although they've been down there for longer than anyone else, they still wake up at the same time?? Surely the whole idea of being in limbo is that they'll be there for good. The oriental chappy has grown old so he's about ready to die anyways so if he dies of old age and still wakes up at the same point as everyone else then where exactly is the peril in being down there?? Plus nowhere is it mentioned in the movie that killing yourself in limbo results in you being brought back to reality, how does that work?!?!?

4. The bloke driving the van dies in the 1st dream as he drowns, how come he doesn't end up in limbo??

Anyone who's seen the film got any answers or theories for me?! And yes, I do have some spare time on my hands today!

Ok i've seen it a few times so I can help a bit..

1) I dont know about this one, good point? My guess would be that anyone in the dream bring charachteristics of their subconcious with them into the dream and in leonardo's case, thats his wife and kids etc?

2) they are the next level down, so presumably this is why they were not affected?

3) Ok, each time they go down a level, the time feels longer, so 1 minute in level 1 is 1 day in level 2, 1 week in level 3, 1 year in level 4, etc etc (not those exact figures but you get the idea?) so in limbo, you only need to be down there a matter of seconds or minutes and it will feel like a lifetime, thus why the oriental bloke aged so much. Also they did say in the film that killing yourself in limbo would wake you up because thats how leonardo and his wife escaped limbo the first time? the reason they went to limbo when they died is because they had taken such a strong sedative to make them sleep deeply enough to go down 3/4 dream levels that instead of waking when they died, they went into limbo. So.. when they woke up, the oriental bloke hadnt aged because although it felt like he was down their for years, it was actually only a few minutes in reality, so his subconcious made him age in limbo, but IRL he hadnt.

4) I don't recall him dieing, but I would guess because he only had to go down 1 level, he would not have taken such a strong sedative and thus WOULD have woken up when he died?

Hopefully some of this makes sense and helps explain things a bit..

Edited by richcr

Ok, each time they go down a level, the time feels longer, so 1 minute in level 1 is 1 day in level 2, 1 week in level 3, 1 year in level 4, etc etc (not those exact figures but you get the idea?) so in limbo, you only need to be down there a matter of seconds or minutes and it will feel like a lifetime, thus why the oriental bloke aged so much. Also they did say in the film that killing yourself in limbo would wake you up because thats how leonardo and his wife escaped limbo the first time? the reason they went to limbo when they died is because they had taken such a strong sedative to make them sleep deeply enough to go down 3/4 dream levels that instead of waking when they died, they went into limbo. So.. when they woke up, the oriental bloke hadnt aged because although it felt like he was down their for years, it was actually only a few minutes in reality, so his subconcious made him age in limbo, but IRL he hadnt.

4) I don't recall him dieing, but I would guess because he only had to go down 1 level, he would not have taken such a strong sedative and thus WOULD have woken up when he died?

Hopefully some of this makes sense and helps explain things a bit..

Yeah ta, I think so, although with the above 2 points you see him still strapped in the van as it goes to the bottom, but I still cant get my head around point 3, I mean if you can simply top yourself in limbo to get out then why did they kick up such a fuss about the risk of going there?? Surely if a lifetime(80-90 years)isn't that long in real life then surely when the limbo life comes to an end then only a matter of minutes/hours will have passed meaning no harm was done, unless of course you fell asleep whilst driving or summat.

Yeah ta, I think so, although with the above 2 points you see him still strapped in the van as it goes to the bottom, but I still cant get my head around point 3, I mean if you can simply top yourself in limbo to get out then why did they kick up such a fuss about the risk of going there?? Surely if a lifetime(80-90 years)isn't that long in real life then surely when the limbo life comes to an end then only a matter of minutes/hours will have passed meaning no harm was done, unless of course you fell asleep whilst driving or summat.

I just watched it again to check lol (too much free time).

So what the scientist guy says is that they are too heavily sedated to wake when they die, even in limbo, they will have to wait for the sedative to wear off, which in limbo (because your so many levels down) would feel like decades. The 'danger' is that if you're down there that long then you would loose your mind and go insane because you loose your grasp on reality.

I also checked the bit about leonardos wife and kid being in the dreams and it is what i said, each 'member' of the dream contributes to it, although the general look and feel of it are determined by the architect.

Don't let me put you off fella, its possibly just me not paying enough attention! You should definitely see it, its one i could and maybe should watch over and over!

Iain,

I went to see this at the cinema and it's possibly one of the best films I've ever seen.

The plot line is a very simple concept but they managed to make the story wonderfully complicated. If you like films that make you concentrate then definitely watch it!