German Pressed Plates

Lupo-Joe

People im looking at getting some pressed plates, however i don't know whether to get the german ones with the D logo and german font, but are they legal and if not whos got them at have they been pulled for them. Any information would be appreciated.

Cheers

As long as they have the batch number on the back then they should be legal , as if they are not they are traceable to the person who made them and they get a huge fine.

www.dubmeister.co.uk pressed plates are legal apparantly, I carry my documentation in the car.. not been pulled yet and see no reason... they are reflective, have bs markings and a garage address on bottom and correct spacings.. Expensive at £30 for the two though.

iv got german pressed plate with none of the legal bits and the d's and if your bothered about being pulled for them dont buy them just go legal iv been warned for mine 8 times now but iv been lucky to not have any sort of fine or backlash from it but i know people that have, the simple answer is as said it all depends on who pulls you as some will complain about the fact there metal pressed and most wont

People im looking at getting some pressed plates, however i don't know whether to get the german ones with the D logo and german font, but are they legal and if not whos got them at have they been pulled for them. Any information would be appreciated.

Cheers

Think u have to use a bit of common sense on this one

ask yourself why is it that no other manufacturer of these plates such as Halfords or any other number plate supplier/manufacturer doesn't do metal plates simple cos they aint legal

VAG group dont do metal plates nor does any other manufacturer

Doesn't matter what Dubmeister say DVLA produce a leaflet on the exact rules & everything regarding this matter.

If you buy em you are asking to get pulled you will have no chance what so ever with the Dibble up North they will pull you on the M6 remove your plates of your car give you 72 hours to produce your car at a police station with correct plates on

How do i know ? my mate had some on his Mk1 Golf he got stopped & told this he started quoting Dubmeister & got lippy with police & ended up in court outcome £350.00 fine letter from DVLA stating thats his 1st strike 3 strikes & his plate will be removed from his car

The car has now been sold but he was a marked man after that always getting pulled, word gets around

police 1 mate 0

Metal plates are acceptable on older vehicles those built prior to 1973 & they can be black & silver ok you see em on others but you are asking for trouble.

Sorry but we don't live in Germany

Edited by leweylupo

^

My next door neighbour is and has been a traffic officer for over 30 years and he says they are fine, I also have been pulled over and vehicle inspected.. they inspected everything trying to do me for whatever they could.. said they had been following me for 5 miles when the journey I took was less than 3, they checked tyres, all my lights, breathalysed they checked my numberplate lights and looked at the BSA mark on my plates.. and on my way I was.

Edited by Kent

You can have pressed plates aslong as they are legally spaced (11mm between letters/numbers and 33mm between groups, they use the Charles Wright font and they also must have a BSAU stamp on them along with the suppliers (not necassarily manufacturers) details.

The problem arises when the Police pull you and thery really havent got a clue.

I was an agent for Dubmiester in Sunderland (Registration Station) and we had to write a few letters to the Police to ask why our customers had been stopped. Everytime the case was dropped.

I had a set of german pressed plates with the 'D' and all the logos on, they looke amazing but i got pulled for them one night and had to sort them out and pay for standard plates and then go to M.O.T and get a new stamp off them so little bit of trouble but they looked good.

The plates were the metal ones i got no fine of any sort just had to change them i didnt get pulled for 3 months with them and it was 2am so i figure if i hadnt have been there at 2am i would still have them on today

but i guess they are illigal

Edited by Matt7tees

I had a set of german pressed plates with the 'D' and all the logos on, they looke amazing but i got pulled for them one night and had to sort them out and pay for standard plates and then go to M.O.T and get a new stamp off them so little bit of trouble but they looked good.

The plates were the metal ones i got no fine of any sort just had to change them i didnt get pulled for 3 months with them and it was 2am so i figure if i hadnt have been there at 2am i would still have them on today

but i guess they are illigal

It appears that there is massive confusion on this subject, each to their own but at the end of the day looks like if you have them its only a matter of time before you get pulled, legal or illegal I'd rather be getting on with my journey than trying to convince the Police that my plates are legal & attracting unwanted attention from the Police.

At the end of the day it isn't the supplier that gets the aggro it's the person driving the car.

I make number plates and registered to dvla; to sell to the public they needs proof of ownership and ID. The BS AU mark MUST be show in the bottom right corner and the only the supplying outlet who made them in the bottom with postcode. New charles wright ( font 'inventer') is ONLY allowed (hi line, 3d and carbon)This is a set standard so they are visible to human eye AND automatic number plate recognition camera's. I.e Specs cameras.(Pre 01/01/1973 cars are differant). If there is any confusion VOSA will have the final say not the police if it is roadworthy or not. I have never seen a pressed plate with a BS AU number on it; although it might have this mark, it does not nessesarily mean it is roadworthy, it just mean it was made under british standards.

The law was a MAXIMUM of £30 fine per plate but changed recently to MAXIMUM of £30 per plate and £1000 for something else and 3 POINTS PER PLATE. This is the same for displaying NO number plate.After sept 2001 the letter size decreased to height of 79mm width from 57mm to 50mm (to accomadate Euro symbol (excepct I and 1)11mm between characters and 33mm between groups.

There is nothing about maximum size of a plate ( std size is 520 = 111mm) If you buy a plate online and you ask them is it legal for uk road use they will almost always say no, they're being sold as a show plate etc.

It is not comfusing, your plates dont meet the requirements they are not road legal.

• 4 weeks later...