Key stuck in drivers door lock

lizzy

Please help! When attempting to lock the car earlier today, the key is stuck in the lock and it won't turn. The door won't open. We've taken off the door card, but can't see anything. So the car is now sat outside with the key in the door! Anyone had anything similar?

nar but my key just dont work at all. i have to use the central lockiung to open and close the door. the key only works for the boot..

if to take the door card of then you should be able to remove the door handle and then remove the lock. or f you can open the door then you maybe able to unscrew the lock cover...

I've had that. Was really worrying for a while - mine stuck in the 'open' position, which meant that my electric windows were all the way down, the car was unlocked, and there was nothing I could do! I didn't even have the spare key with me at the time.

After ripping the door card off and determining that I couldn't get to the lock from the inside due to the windows being down (and having no way to bring them back up), I decided that the one thing I didn't want to do was leave my key in the door, so I twisted it firmly towards the vertical position.

Thankfully, the key held up, the lock freed itself, and all was well - no damage at all, and it's never happened again. However, it was very stiff, and there was a strong possibility of a bust or bent key, or a broken lock. I was lucky, you might not be as lucky.

Sorry I can't help any more...

I had this problem on my first Lupo (I just sold my 3rd one today - boo).

I posted on here about it but that was ages ago.

Mine stuck fast (with the door unlocked) and I couldn't get my key out for love nor money. Took it to VW who charged me £32.11 for a new lock cylinder + £67 labour = £116.45 in total !

Luckily I was at home when it happened so used my spare key to lock all the other doors. The drivers door was unlocked with the key in it so I used a bike chain between the door pull handle and the steering wheel so no one could get in.

Mine did that too! You can open the door from the inside. Remove the black round cap at the side of the door by the lock. You will need a hex key for slackening the handle. This frees the lock barrel.

I ordered a new one from VW. You need the VIn no. It took 2 weeks of getting in the passenger door!! Fitted it in 2 min flat so that labour bill sounds a bit large Clive!

It is caused by the metal ring in the barrel breaking and getting jammed up. Force may work. You have not much to loose as your barrel is knacked anyway and you can get a new key too if it breaks. Tried dismantling the barrel but believe me it is not worth it

£49 pounds to fix.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Had to swallow my pride and take it to VW. They have quoted £292! Apparently, they will have to smash the lock to get the door open and then replace all the locks & ignition barrel otherwise we'd need different keys.

A little bit peeved to say they least, it's only 6 months out of warrenty. I wouldn't normally pay this, but we can't be without the car. At least we've got a courtesy car while it's done (they've quoted a minimum of 2 days to do that!).

You are being robbed and lied to!!!!!

They can remove the key with a little force. The key is strong an should survive.

You can remove the lock in 5mins with the door open. star key needed not hex.

You can order the same replacement lock from Germany for £49. VIN no. required.

Take to somewhere else. I fixed mine easily. 2mins tops to fit new one

Thanks guys, I will have to raise that about ordering a new lock with the VIN number to them!! The car isn't going to be ready until tomorrow anyway. The cheeky gits have just rung to say if we want a spare key, that will be an extra £84!! I've just rung a couple of other local dealers and they have both said that a new lockset comes with 3 sets of keys anyway!

I'm begining to think that we are dealing with some big time robbing b'stards here. Just for your info, the VW dealer is JCT600, Wakefield.

Update:

Just been onto them again. They have realised that we don't need an extra spare key as they didn't break the key getting it out. They are only replacing the drivers door barrel (to fit original key) and not all the locks. They are saying it was the lock that had broke and not the barrel. But they damaged the barrel getting the door open. The barrel is £49 and the lock about £70! With labour the original bill of £292 still stands!

I still think they are ripping me off, but I can't do anything about it now. I just know to avoid them in future.

Bummer!!! I am avoiding the stealers if I can help it. We should all post recommended garages in our area as it may save someone from being ripped off.

That is a good idea! Hayselden's (sp?) in Barnsley will become my new choice (if I ever have something stupid like this again). They have always been fantastic for parts. They always are really helpful on the phone and have even stayed open late for my to pick bits up on the way home from work.