Glow plug light flashing

Paul

Hello :wave:

I haven't posted a topic for a little while but I have been lurking in the background :ph34r:

Anyway, this morning on my way to work, and about seven miles in to my journey, the glow plug light started to flash. It flashes at a rate of once every second. My first thought was the brake light switch, as the glow plug light has flashed before, but that was about four years ago, and the solution was a new brake light switch.

But when it happened that first time I didn't have any brake lights illuminating. This time, the brake lights illuminate, and brightly too, but the glow plug light continues to flash.

I've wedged the brake pedal down, put the indicators on and popped round to the back of the car in case I have a dodgy earth connection, but the brake lights don't flash - the light is stable - so I'm convinced that the earth connections are fine.

I've had my head in the footwell and jiggled the brake pedal switch in case a wire had come loose, but everything seemed to be as it should.

The car starts fine from cold, and I'm happy that the ECU is working as it should as it won't allow me to heel and toe (the power drops). She pulls cleanly and smoothly and accelerates as normal, so as my brake lights function as normal I'm a bit clueless. She starts normally, and then about ten seconds into the journey the glowplug light flashes and remains flashing for the duration of the journey.

Any ideas? :confused:

By the way, she's a December 2001 registered 51-plate Lupo 1.7SDi ^_^

Thank-you.

when the glow plug light flashes, it's indicating an engine fault.

time for vagcom me thinks.

:(

That's what I suspected. She's booked in to a main dealer tomorrow morning... I still reckon that the ECU will throw up a 16955 code though :(

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

The other day my clutch cable seemed to be getting a bit stiff and jerky so as I had turned up at work early thought I would lube it.I removed the cable from the clutch end,poured in some lube and popped it all back ok.When I set off home I got the glow plug light flashing thingy within 30 seconds.I'm sure it was OK before..Looked it up and thought I had a bit of a dodgy brake light on the go.Checked the switch that seemed OK,bulbs ok,Got a code tester and gave me 16955.Cleared it and after 10 mins of driving it comes back again.99% sure I dont have a brake light problem.So I have been over it all lots of WD40 ,checked the bulbs in place with 12Volts,all OK,Got a new brake switch,set off,10 mins later I get the fault show up as 16955.

Does anyone have any ideas as I'm a bit stuck now?

My clutch cable was not in the bulkhead holder when I looked at it to start with but I cant see what I may have done to it,I'm sure I upset something as I have done 5k miles since I got it all faultless...

Car runs fine throughout

Cheers

Ian

Edited by itsian