Does a Lupo Gti have VVT?

Kent

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the fact that you have to quote in hp/litre says it all really. I have a motorcycle that makes 224hp/litre, but that doesn't make it powerful. Why? Because it only has 125cc's.

High revving Hondas do make me laugh out loud though, when they're doing 9000rpm, making a load of noise whilst still somehow managing to make relatively slow progress. But then, I prefer torque to horsepower anyway, especially for road use.

I think the fact that you have to quote in hp/litre says it all really. I have a motorcycle that makes 224hp/litre, but that doesn't make it powerful. Why? Because it only has 125cc's.

Your motorbike is a two stroke.

Ok then, its 192hp/ton. Is that still underpowered? Higher power/weight than the 3.0 Z4 despite having 2 cylinders and 1000cc less?

I think the GTi is getting a bit of a tough time from a few people on this thread. Sure it isn't as fast as some of the cars mentioned above like astra gsi etc but I'd still consider it a hot hatch! And before anyone asks I have driven incredibly fast cars so do have an idea of real speed but for what it is and the main demographic it was created for it's a brilliant little car! Manages to surprise alot of people who think their 3 series, mondeo, lower model merc can't possibly be shown who's boss by a vw hatchback!

• 1 month later...

I think you'll find that a VTS does the same 0-60 as the Lupo, except it's built by monkeys, and falls apart after minutes as a result of that.

Don't get me started on those whining Rovers. We had a cooper for 2 months before getting rid of it. We test drove 5 or 6 cooper S's and they just weren't for us, the newer turbo was better than the old Supercharged engine but I couldn't live with the incredibly unergonomic interior.

As for your Type R, have fun with that fuel bill and insurance premium. An Astra GSi-well that's a Vauxhall so it's not even worth my time typing about. VAG 1.8T's are very nice, we've had 3 Audi TT 225's with this engine and it's lots of fun, however more thirsty and more expensive to insure than a Lupo GTi. A Subaru? Why would you even begin to try and compare a 4 Wheel Drive rally machine against a hot hatch. I believe a new Subaru is also over £10000 more to buy than the Lupo GTi was? Hardly a fair comparison right there. Don't know much about Corolla T-sports although I know they're dead boring to look at.

I don't want to sound like I'm ranting, but to me the Lupo GTi isn't in the same category as any of those cars.

T Sport corolla's are nice, thats if you pick a facelift version, with the teardrop headlights, also they do the corolla tsport compressor, which is supercharged and it looks flippin' awesome

and my tsport corolla, whooped type r's all day long

High revving Hondas do make me laugh out loud though, when they're doing 9000rpm, making a load of noise whilst still somehow managing to make relatively slow progress. But then, I prefer torque to horsepower anyway, especially for road use.

dc5 / s2000 are pretty rapido...

i personally love the noise

A GTi is no way near the quickest, even in just the hot hatch catagory, but thats not the point. I wins hands down on personality and the ability to put a smilies all over your faces :lol::DB)

I run an 350bhp Evo 6 and that does make me smile... but also makes my pants brown and my bank balance red, partly from buying new underwear but more so that it only does 100miles if im lucky to a £45 tank of Optimax :wacko:

VTEC is brilliant, one of the best NA engine's IMO!

The B-series engines, especially the one's found in the DC2 ITR and EK9 CTR are very aggressive on cam and never get boring...

I always used to think when i owned my Lupo GTI, they should have gave the engine a similar type of character. Even around 150BHP, LSD gearbox and slightly more sorted suspension. Then it could have been a Type R contender.

I miss my LUPO GTI soo much

A GTi is no way near the quickest, even in just the hot hatch catagory, but thats not the point. I wins hands down on personality and the ability to put a smilies all over your faces :lol::DB)

I run an 350bhp Evo 6 and that does make me smile... but also makes my pants brown and my bank balance red, partly from buying new underwear but more so that it only does 100miles if im lucky to a £45 tank of Optimax :wacko:

got a link to a thread or anything?

got a link to a thread or anything?

My Sig has a link to my old silver GTi, think Bantam owns that now. Picking up my new anthracite GTi in a week'ish so will be putting some pics up of that.

As for the Evo, I'm not part of any club so have never written a thread on it. It was left to me by my brother's who sadly passed away in March, he was a rally driver for Silverstone and obviously liked his rally cars!

Evo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

well just had a read of this thread. its horses for courses. but the difference is build quality. if you go for 106 or a saxo the quality is not good at all. must be a french thing. and remember a fast 1/4 mile doesn't mean that it can go around corners. i have a lupo gti and it puts a smile on my face when i get the chance to drive the thing. and yes V tec honda's are a great engine but look at the style of the car they go in.