How and why to fit a Catch Tank..

obp.ltd

Hello,

I’m sure you most of you are aware that OBP manufacture a wide range of Aluminium Products, with one being the Aluminium Catch Tank

obpct001.jpg

obpct004.jpg

Why Fit an Oil Catch Tank?

If your engine breathes back into its induction system (usual on all engines after mid 1960s) it is recirculating oxygen-less oil-laden air back into the fuel mix.

As the induction system operates at full efficiency on oxygenated air then fitting a catch tank will gain horsepower, as well as prevent carbon & sludge build up in the induction system.

Simply removing the emissions & breather system will tend to result in a very grimy engine bay, as well as being detrimental to the environment, and an MOT fail.

For race use cars showing any indications of oil fumes from their breather system will be required to fit a catch tank by the scrutineers.

The Oil Catch Tank basically filters the fumes and oil away from the top of your engine and allows the oil to collect in a Catch Tank.

From here it is easily possible to drain this captured oil and dispose of it.

Most race tracks require the use of a Oil Catch Tank for safety reasons.

OBP offer baffled and non baffled Catch Tanks.

I trust this has been useful for you.

Thanks for your time.

Sam from ObpLtd.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

if ya check my posts ive got pics

As for my pipe was a custom made but ive seen variants on ebay look for induction pipe with dv port would be the best option, as to catch tank its fitted near the timming belt cvr just to reduce the lengh in the pipe work , ive seen other users locate the catch tanks on the right hand side of the bay near bty port or a braket from the master cylinder,

defo worth using a catch tank mines still empty as well and theres no smell of oil as wot you would get fitting a crankcase breather.

To the right of the brake fluid? They arent that big. I dont know where the PCV pipework is on the 1.8T so dont know if there would be a more suitable place.

Given the mods done to the engine already, it may already vent to atmos?