Want a DSLR.. Advice Please

99hjhm

Over the winter I want to get a DSLR.

Mainly for amature motorsport photography and car shows.

1. Decided on Canon, as it seems to be much more avaliable, just not sure what body to look for? New low price range or a slightly higher spec second hand body. How many mega pixels would I need? is 10.1 enough?

2. Lenses.... Seems to be where the money goes, motorsport wise... I guess i need to be looking at lenses in the 300mm range? Is it best to get a budget 70-300mm lens to start with and moving up, or better to save and getting an expensive lens? What features should I look out for?

Foxy? Putney?.. help.

I've got a 20D, I wouldn't worry about how many megapixels a camera has, it's not as important as it's generally made out to be.

Lens wise, if you want a 70-300, make sure you get one with an image stabiliser, most have them these days but you'll stuggle without it to be honest, I bought a second hand one without, only used it once or twice... :(

Have you used a DSLR before? If not go for a second hand, lower end Canon, get used to the thing as you can always upgrade once you're settled. If you delve straight into a high end version it could end up being counter-productive, good luck! :)

I agree with the comment on getting a lower end model.

My Sony A200 is the furthest most bottom of the range camera, however I still get very pleasing results :)

Yeah, just get a low end DSLR and learn for there!

I to have an A200, never let me down! B)

Depends on your budget, but you shuold be able to pick up a used 350D for a reasonable price.

I could probably go for a 450D over anything before, but is it better looking at a 40D for that kind of money, and what I want to use it for?

Any recomendations for lenses?

I was using an 18-200mm TAMRON at Edition, but i got it second hand and it has no IS, but it's a retty good range and saves constant lens swapping.

I borrowed a Canon 70-300mm (or possibly and 80-300mm) from work a while back and it was really good. Ultrasonic and IS; fast and stable. Would be good for your sports shots.

My next lens will be a 10-22mm or similar.You can pick up 450ds with no lenses pretty OK and then pick up the lens you want.

450D body on Argos...

Dont forget all my stuff is for sale, deals to be had for multiple purchases :D

And my advise would be to buy all my stuff from me... :coffee:

But seriously get what what you can afford, a cheaper body with good quality lens would be a good start. Forget about megapixles, its the sensor you need to know about.

However, despite what ive just said about cheaper bodies, the difference between the 400 and 40 is like night and day.

Most of my recent photography has been motorsport, using a 70-200 just doesnt get you close enough. So I always end up using a x2 extender, 400 is much more like it.

But like i say, it all comes down to budget.

Dont forget all my stuff is for sale, deals to be had for multiple purchases :D

And my advise would be to buy all my stuff from me... :coffee:

But seriously get what what you can afford, a cheaper body with good quality lens would be a good start. Forget about megapixles, its the sensor you need to know about.

However, despite what ive just said about cheaper bodies, the difference between the 400 and 40 is like night and day.

Most of my recent photography has been motorsport, using a 70-200 just doesnt get you close enough. So I always end up using a x2 extender, 400 is much more like it.

But like i say, it all comes down to budget.

Foxy, I wish i had the budget, even if I did, I'm only starting out, so probably isn't ideal. I'll PM you if you don't mind, get an idea of examples that you have done.

It's quite obvious from the research I've done a 70-200 L IS lens and extender is the way to go, but not exactly cheap. :(

What are the main difference between 400 and 40D?

Foxy, I wish i had the budget, even if I did, I'm only starting out, so probably isn't ideal. I'll PM you if you don't mind, get an idea of examples that you have done.

It's quite obvious from the research I've done a 70-200 L IS lens and extender is the way to go, but not exactly cheap. :(

What are the main difference between 400 and 40D?

Ide sell the 70-200 and extender for ÂŁ1300

400-40D's, well, magnesium alloy body fo a start, much better sensor and you can just feel the shutter action and here it is much better. Also more functions, and live view, Handy sometimes.

Is Nayr still selling his 450D? last time I looked it was ÂŁ300. Excellent deal.

Live view on the 450D is not as handy as the live view on the likes of the S3\S5. Only really useful in a studio, or at least on a tripod as it put's everything to manual. Is it better on the 40?

Is Nayr still selling his 450D? last time I looked it was ÂŁ300. Excellent deal.

Live view on the 450D is not as handy as the live view on the likes of the S3\S5. Only really useful in a studio, or at least on a tripod as it put's everything to manual. Is it better on the 40?

I would think it's now sold, he has got a few on Edition38 offering what he wants for it and more.

I used a friends and it was so much easier for high/low shots, I'm forver laying on the floor to get my eye on the camera or taking high guess shots after applying the setting I want! :angry:

Edited by Reed

I used a friends and it was so much easier for high/low shots, I'm forver laying on the floor to get my eye on the camera or taking high guess shots after applying the setting I want! :angry:

Exactly, and yes it does work very well on the 40d

Canon 40D is a great camera however i really felt the lcd screen on the back let it down.... When you get into photography properly and you are looking for sharp crips pictures you need a good screen on the back to check this.... I had so far

300D, 350D, 400D, 450D, 40D, 50D.

The biggest jump in picture quaity was to the 40D... the image was better than any of my previous cameras... There isn't much if any difference between the 40D picture quality or the 50D however I have achieved better results with my 50D as the screen on the back is so much better.. I don't use live view but I check my pictures for sharpness on the LCD and the 40D images all look soft on the lower res screen...

Motorsport lens.. 100-400..... canon l series is what i would go for... I have the 70-200mm with a x2 extender.. the 70-200 2.8L is an amazing lens however the x2 ruins it a bit.. softer and loss of sharpness..

I can post some pictures this week of my motorsport stuff if you like....

oh, one more thing... i wouldn't get a small body ever again.... cramped especially once you start getting proper glass on the front of it.. it just feels awkward... 50D or 7D is where I would stick my money if i was you....

I have a lot of canon kit but can't comment on nikon as never really used it but i have heard very very good things about it.

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_7098.jpg

IMG_7053.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

These are all really low res.... probably best to let me send you a couple to an email address as a big file... quality is amazing....

OK.. Update.

In the end I rushed into the deep end and bought Foxy's 40D. :rolleyes: Think it was the right move as it's highly rated for motorsport use.

Thanks for the advice, especially Putney who has been very helpful. :)

Camera seems very good, massive step up from a Nikon bridge camera that I was using before.... The size and weight are huge.

Post some pics up tomorrow(If I manage to get any useable ones), going to Aston Martin Owners Club sprint at Curborough.

:)