HELP with adjusting gear linkages

Got in my GTI yesterday after work and it refused to go into first gear. I have noticed recently that the gearbox hasn't been as slick as it should be, particularly the first to second change.

So today I have just tried to realign the gearbox selector using the how-to here, but when I came to unlock the selector shaft by turning the right angle piece (A) straight again the selector remains locked. I can remove the right angle piece completely from the selector tower and when I push it back in it can be turned through 360 degrees. It feels like there is some kind of spring inside where the right angled piece fits but no matter what I do the gearbox remains locked in neutral.

Any ideas before I have to call someone out? Obviously, the car is undriveable at the moment.

Edited by jon_273

I beleive there is a weak point between 1st and 2nd - the bloke who rebuilt mine and ElectricPandas gearboxes was telling me, cant remember anything more than that though! been doing any hard changes lately?

Is there a danger you could mess it up even firther by fiddling? May be worth leaving it to a pro

I have no idea, I know that gears 1 and 2 are a bugger - I got mine re aligned / re configured by a mechanic a few days ago though - so don't know what you are supposed to do.

Edited by jackthewelshman

OK cheers for the replies everyone, nice to know that it's not just me who has had problems.

Nothing has been done with it at the moment. I've decided I'm not going to touch it any more myself in case I do any more damage. Been told about a good gearbox place local to me that receives a lot of work from main dealers etc. The problem I have now is how to get the car down to them!

My first gear can can be a pain sometimes, won't go fully in. And second has always been a little stiff on the down change. VW can't make gearboxes.

Did you get it sorted Jon?

Same, and reverse.