Replacing abs sensor

N/s ABS sensor has come up faulty on vagcom. Anyone replaced this themselves? Can get an aftermarket sensor for £15 on eBay and just wondered how easy/difficult it is to do this

Help would be much appreciated!

Tom

N/s ABS sensor has come up faulty on vagcom. Anyone replaced this themselves? Can get an aftermarket sensor for £15 on eBay and just wondered how easy/difficult it is to do this

Help would be much appreciated!

Tom

You can get a sensor for like £8 on eGay, DIY yes, just undo the bolt and smash it out with a hammer and chisel.

Where exactly is the sensor located? Haven't had a look yet so sorry to sound stupid if it's obvious

I'll upload a few pics tomorrow if i have time. It's behind the brake disc, you need to drop the brake caliper/carrier off, then the disc off... Not difficult if you have some basic mechanical knowledge. The sensors are a VERY tight fit in the whole so need smashing out.

I didn't need to remove the caliper or discs, it was a pain, but not too bad. Disconnect the wires first,smash the old sensor off, then you may have to get a drill bit a simular size to the hole in which the sensor goes into and knock the remaining old sensor out. Then I had to file and clean the hole to insert the new sensor with a little copper ease, as it's very tight. I think the last one took about 15 mins, after the wheel was removed. I got the sensor from Europarts, they do a couple of different ones, I got the cheapest and they have been fine.

I didn't need to remove the caliper or discs, it was a pain, but not too bad. Disconnect the wires first,smash the old sensor off, then you may have to get a drill bit a simular size to the hole in which the sensor goes into and knock the remaining old sensor out. Then I had to file and clean the hole to insert the new sensor with a little copper ease, as it's very tight. I think the last one took about 15 mins, after the wheel was removed. I got the sensor from Europarts, they do a couple of different ones, I got the cheapest and they have been fine.

Ah well ok, but I have a pretty low car and big brakes. It also allows you to clean the ABS ring that can clog up with crap causing you issues. Think all the sensors are the same as long as it's from the right corner of the car. (Lupo, Golf etc)

• 11 months later...

Hey guys wonder if anyone could help me

I've chopped the old sensor out and am struggling to remove the bolt as it won't budge :( just wondering what type of bolt it is e.g Allen key , spline etc ? And can anyone suggest any way of making te bolt budge ?

Many thanks :))

• 5 years later...

Yeah, always grind or file out a bit to make the hole bigger. I think they fail because rust builds up between the sensor coil and the casting. As it swells, it pushes against the coil cracking the plastic allowing water in. Game over.

• Like 1