Write Off?

mad-modz

Hi all,

today i had some bad luck with a hit and run involving my beloved tdi....

I had a hero trying to overtake my lupo, thought better of it, pulling back into my lane, but clipping the rear bumper of my car, sending me sideways... the car then 't-boned' me, stopped, reversed and drove off...

I managed to grab the reg, and have contacted my insurance, who in turn gave me his insurance details and told me to get in contact with them.... I did, and its came back as his cars insured, but hes failed to inform them of the accident (im assuming due to it being a modified car). Ive since had a hospital visit, and am in the police station tomorrow to get it all sorted out, as the insurance advised me to do so...

Other than being shook up, im really gutted...

Just wondering if you guys think this is a write off or not... Its a low mileage TDI, and as you can see it was mint pre-accident.. pictures being taken this morning (id bloody cleaned it this morning, with 3 coats of polish ready for trax at silverstone at the weekend)....

Pre accident...

001uo.th.jpg

007oxf.th.jpg

013az.th.jpg

After

018wca.th.jpg

I know the new coilover will need replacing, aswell as the wheel, wishbone etc... and then theres the wing, door, rear bumper and light... but im mainly concerned about the sill, as its bent in quite a bit..

Really dont want the car wrote off as its a rare car to find... :(

Think yourself lucky you caught his registration and that he is actually insured! I know it doesn't seem lucky now because you've got a dented pride and joy on the drive but it could have ended up costing you a fortune. Best of luck with whatever happens mate and I'd make sure the d!ckhead pays through the arse for it!

Provided you have your insurance through a good company you should be ok.

Looks fixable from that picture but all depends on how it looks underneath!

Hope you get it all sorted and hopefully the other driver gets more than a smacked wrist for fleeing the scene of an accident and not reporting an accident.

Good luck with this , lets hope he doesn't fight it as it will end up going on for a while before you get a cheque .

Guest cream2cream

MATE THIS will surely b a writeoff, why might u ask? because the insurance compnay will send car to main dealers who will put everything new so mega cost, then they will charge the insurance compnay MEGA bucks to fit it, :o

i think u'll b lookin at ÂŁ1500+ worth of damage from the main dealers easily :o

if u said to insurance company u will accept a payout then say u want to buy the car back, they';ll sell it to u for the salvage value; ÂŁ500 quid odd B)

then get it fixed with parts from a scrap yard for a few hundred :shades: and u'll ave a rare tdi lupo for a fraction of the price, this is what happened to one of my mates, someone scrapped the side of his car; very very small dent on quarter panel/ wing/ door and wing mirror smashed off, the ripoff main dealers quoted ÂŁ2000 to fix his gti, he got it fixed for ÂŁ250 from a back street garage after the payout :rolleyes:

MATE THIS will surely b a writeoff, why might u ask? because the insurance compnay will send car to main dealers who will put everything new so mega cost, then they will charge the insurance compnay MEGA bucks to fit it, :o

i think u'll b lookin at ÂŁ1500+ worth of damage from the main dealers easily :o

if u said to insurance company u will accept a payout then say u want to buy the car back, they';ll sell it to u for the salvage value; ÂŁ500 quid odd B)

then get it fixed with parts from a scrap yard for a few hundred :shades: and u'll ave a rare tdi lupo for a fraction of the price, this is what happened to one of my mates, someone scrapped the side of his car; very very small dent on quarter panel/ wing/ door and wing mirror smashed off, the ripoff main dealers quoted ÂŁ2000 to fix his gti, he got it fixed for ÂŁ250 from a back street garage after the payout :rolleyes:

So naive. Its not as easy as that.

Some insurance companies wont allow it to be bought back , plus some only allow it on certain cat write offs.

Plus you do not have to go to the garage in all cases that they send you to.

Plus buying it back and fixing it up isn't always the best thing as your now the proud owner of a cat c/d written off car which is worth far less than a straight one.

Guest cream2cream

yes it is, if a cars recorded as a cat c or d dont make much is any difference to the value, theres a garage near me who shift them all long for a few 000 of the usual price. :blink:

i think u should get ur facts right before slatin people. :angry:

i wonder how much a car is worth if its been smashed in 1/2 and not recorded as a writeoff? 20pence? :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

check this website; copart u will see 000's of hpi clear cars which go into main dealers once repaired sellin for full mkt value; bet u was'nt aware of that now!!! :P :P :P :P

check this website; copart u will see 000's of hpi clear cars which go into main dealers once repaired sellin for full mkt value; bet u was'nt aware of that now!!! :P :P :P :P

You do realise how cars get to copart dont you? From insurance companies. So the cars there will be recorded on VCAR.

yes it is, if a cars recorded as a cat c or d dont make much is any difference to the value, theres a garage near me who shift them all long for a few 000 of the usual price. :blink:

i wonder how much a car is worth if its been smashed in 1/2 and not recorded as a writeoff? 20pence? :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

That almost made me laugh as much as this

sell_it.jpg

TBF thats a good point , hope it was all legal.

Another **** point is that you might have declared them but some insurance companies you don't get like for like or the cost of them back , only standard parts.

yes it is, if a cars recorded as a cat c or d dont make much is any difference to the value, theres a garage near me who shift them all long for a few 000 of the usual price.

i wonder how much a car is worth if its been smashed in 1/2 and not recorded as a writeoff? 20pence?

check this website; copart u will see 000's of hpi clear cars which go into main dealers once repaired sellin for full mkt value; bet u was'nt aware of that now!!!

You have no idea what you're talking about so I'd suggest shutting up!

:rolleyes:

Guest cream2cream

You have no idea what you're talking about so I'd suggest shutting up!

sure i dont, u must b a ARSEWIPE on a moped :wacko:

why do people pay serious money for them on "copart", unless they muct b thicko's like u with money to burn but in ur case i doubt u have a ÂŁ to ur name!!! :lol:

if u dont know nothing about writeoffs then SHUT YA FACE! :P :P

Guest cream2cream

That almost made me laugh as much as this

sell_it.jpg

sure i dont, u must b a ARSEWIPE on a moped :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

why do people pay serious money for them on "copart", unless they muct b thicko's like u with money to burn but in ur case i doubt u have a ÂŁ to ur name!!!

if u dont know nothing about writeoffs then SHUT YA FACE! :P

Guest cream2cream

You do realise how cars get to copart dont you? From insurance companies. So the cars there will be recorded on VCAR.

then why r they shiftin hpi cars then? :blink:

if u do a hpi check on them they will come up clear but there smashed to pieces :lol:

i know of alot of car dealers who buy cars off them and put them in there main dealer showrooms, the stupid punter who relis on hpi checks to see if the cars been a writeout is non the wiser!!! :D

people gotta understand a hpi check confirms the cars not a writeoff NOT that its ever been smashed!!! :huh:

a friend of a friends mum brought a brand new merc 1 owner later she found out that the car had been previous flood smashed but showed up clear on hpi, she couldnt do jackall the dealer pocketd a cool ÂŁ30k buc ks for the motor from her :lol: :lol:

A cat c or d does make a difference to the cars value look here can you see any other 08 astra vxrs going for that price?

yeah mate ur write there, i see lambo's fetchin ÂŁ50k+ smashed :shades:

sure i dont, u must b a ARSEWIPE on a moped :wacko:

why do people pay serious money for them on "copart", unless they

muct b thicko's like u with money to burn but in ur case i doubt u have a ÂŁ to ur name!!! :lol:

if u dont know nothing about writeoffs then SHUT YA FACE! :P :P

Firstly, your grammatical skills are shocking. If you want to insult me and call me names then at least try doing it in English rather than in retard!

Secondly. Written off vehicles have a ceiling value and will never be resold at full value unless the buyer has not been made aware that the vehicle has been written off.

It is a legal obligation of the seller to disclose that the vehicle has been written off if they are aware of it.

Thirdly. I don't have a moped but I can certainly imagine you do!

people gotta understand a hpi check confirms the cars not a writeoff NOT that its ever been smashed!!! :huh:

Right, I will say this again, slowly...

Copart have a load of smashed up cars.

How did they get there?

They have bought them from insurance companies.

That means they insurance company was the legal owner of the car.

That means the insurance company gave money equivalent to the market value of the vehicle to the policyholder.

That means the car has been 'written off'.

That means it will be on VCAR.

That means it would show up on a HPI check.

Yes, plenty of cars get crashed and repaired and nothing is ever recorded - just not ones that are damaged beyond economical repair in the eyes of the insurance company

Apologies to the OP, this thread has been derailed somewhat

Edited by Defcon5