door lock problem

The lock on my girlfriends polo drivers side door just spins and she has to lock it by the passenger door. Iv had the door card off and it looks as the barrel has been damaged. Does anyone know how much I'm looking to get it fixed / replaced?

Also is this a common thing or has someone tried breaking into it?

Its a 6n2 sport on a w with central locking

Thanks

You`re lucky I spotted this mate as I hardly ever sign in, I have the EXACT same problem. One of my mates had a good luck at the c/l for me last week, he`s almost certain its the 'paddle' thats the problem.

It`s really easy to remove the door handle, open the door, just one screw but you will need one of those tapered inserts to remove it, you`ll see what I mean

You can buy either a new paddle off ebay, they come in a set of two for £8 or you can buy a kit which has one paddle and four other parts. I think it`ll be just the paddle thats the problem, I`ve looked at mine and a small piece has sheared off. I bought this yesterday, offer £8

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PAIR-Door-Handle-Repair-Paddles-VW-Polo-8-1997-11-2001-/310211918437?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM

or the kit if you think it may be more than the paddle

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-POLO-DOOR-LOCK-REPAIR-KIT-FRONT-RIGHT-NEW-/250672753483?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM

pm me if you get stuck, I`ve already taken mine apart

I've just had a very similar problem this afternoon!!

I went to lock my Lupo, and the key jammed in the driver's side lock. Luckily I was at home, and had the spare key. I took the barrel out, which is a 30sec job, and soaked it in WD40, but they key still wouldn't come out.

Anyway, a quick trip to a local auto locksmith sorted it in under 5 mins for £10. I'd imagine the cost would be similar for the part you need repairing, as he removed it to fix my lock barrel. Plus, if it's done professionally you know it's done right and the car's secure.

• 4 weeks later...