1.4 sport driver aids

LiftOffOverSteer

I've pretty close to buying myself a Lupo 1.4 sport. Before I do, I'm hoping some of the more spirited drivers on here might be able to comment on how intrusive the ABS is, and if there is any sort of stability control (advertised or not).

I'm hoping they will behave like the old VWs I had years ago (Mk 1 Golf GTi, sciroccos, MK 1 Jettas, etc) and my 205s, in that if I lift off mid-bend when cornering close to the limit, the back will come round.

I'm also hoping the ABS doesn't kick in too soon, and I can play with the car under heavy breaking. Does anyone know how many channels the ABS has? Is this model available without ABS, or can it be easily disabled?

Thanks for any advice on this! :)

I don't find the ABS kicks in too easily on my GTI so I can't imagine there will be much difference if any with the Sport.

Philplop is quite good at getting his arse out :blink: with lift overstear, but again that's a GTI.

You'll probably know the GTI has been deemed the spiritual brother of the MK1 Golf GTI and the sport can't be that far behind.

Possibly a little more weighty and 23 horses less.

The Sport is probably a bit more weighty at the front compared to the rear, whereas I would say the GTI is more evenly balanced.

If you fit a rear anti roll bar then it's quite easy to get the back end out.

All sports have ABS. Not sure about disabling it, maybe try pulling the fuse? I don't find it a problem in my GTI though.

The ABS on my sport isnt working, 0never has since ive owned it. Probs a senser or something but I have hear it kicks in too early

As far as kicking the rear end out that happens far too much, just got to be a little bit careful when booting it round corners

Sam

As far as kicking the rear end out that happens far too much, just got to be a little bit careful when booting it round corners

Maybe some driver training may be of help to you if your fwd 98bhp car is oversteering 'far too much'. Have you modified the the suspension geometry or anything?

GTi has battery in the boot for better weight distribution.

As well as aluminium front wings and bonnet, and thinner glass (including the windscreen).

I should also add that in my experience the back end only comes out when you intentionally lift off mid corner. It doesn't just step out for no reason! You have to make it come out.

Tyre pressures make a difference to the feel of the car, I always have a couple of PSI less in the back than I do in the front, seems to help keep the back end a bit more planted.

only ever had the arosa sideways twice, once with tyre paint on the tyre sidewall, which i reckon caused the slide coz i was doin like 30 lol

and under a bit of late braking once was pretty damn sideways but was controllable down to the proxes all round.

otherwise it handles brilliant, on gay-max suspension aswel, lol bit of roll, but that helps when you want to chuck it about a bit.

does also slide a bit when on lift off.

and tripods :D

When ever mine tripods it kicks out. Now dont get me wrong not crazy silly kicking out spinning the car I just mean comfortable fun oversteer

Its only over happened in a bad way twice, both my error so I cant complain. The best one being thinking I was still in a go kart while heading onto the A19 home

Im a tad scared to go get that ARB, Ive heard it changes the handling into something even better.

I don't find the ABS kicks in too easily on my GTI so I can't imagine there will be much difference if any with the Sport.

Philplop is quite good at getting his arse out :blink: with lift overstear, but again that's a GTI.

You'll probably know the GTI has been deemed the spiritual brother of the MK1 Golf GTI and the sport can't be that far behind.

Possibly a little more weighty and 23 horses less.

Having owned both, i'd say that on the basis of the above.

The ABS kicked in more in my sport than the GTi, and sometimes on very rough ground it was a bit obtrusive.

The sport likes getting it's rear end more than the GTi, the GTi is more of a balanced car, but it's easier to adjust than the Sport.

Oh, and i wouldn't say stright line speed is far behind the GTi, but as a driving car the GTi is better.

I find it quite hard to provoke the Sport, it just seems to roll a bit too much on the softer suspension. My Mum had a MkII 1.1 Fiesta years ago, and that was easy to get sideways. I had a scirocco prevously with KW coilovers, poly bushes and uprated arbs and that was really hard to unsettle, good fun trying though !

Oh, and i wouldn't say stright line speed is far behind the GTi, but as a driving car the GTi is better.

Ive got to say, my Sport is massivley slower than the GTI, to the point where I think there is something wrong with it! Need to get it on the rollers i think