How to: Diy Fibreglass sub enclosure pics

I decided to design and build a f/g sub box. After working out how big it should be for my sub and how much space i wanted to lose, i started work.

F_glass_mould.jpgF_glass_mould3.jpg

Boot area protected, mask up covering sevearal layers and lay up the glass matt and resin. I mixed 400g of resin to `8-10g` of catalyst. ie 2%. Once dry, Remove from car and clean off all tape etc. Another 4 layers of matt was laid in two stages and left to dry in between.

backandbase1.jpgbackbaseside.jpg

Once completly dry, fited mold back into car to check fit and marked for shape. All the excess was trimmed and joined to m.d.f to base and side using F/G paste. (This should be to the size you require)

box_assmbly_inner.jpg

A Baffle for the speaker was made out of 18mm and the flush fitting ring out of 15mm. This was bonded together using hot glue gun. It was angled using metal brackets bent in a vice and screwed together.T nuts were used for mounting the sub these were m5 thread.

Baffle.jpgbox_assmbly.jpg

It was then glued and screwed to the base and side of the enclosure.

glassing.jpgglassing2.jpg

Obviously the box should be strengthened so braces were made and glued,screwed and glassed in position where needed.

boxsubfr1.jpgwithsubin.jpg

Shown with 10" Crystal sub in place.

sub_cloth1.jpgsubsresin1.jpg

Box then covered with fleecy material secured using hot glue gun, and stretch tightly. Then resin applied until soaked thru'. This was left to harden and more fibre matt and resin applied to strengthen on the inside.

subtrial2.jpgsubtrial1.jpg

This shows how it will fit in boot. F/G paste applied to outside to get better shape, so carpet can be fitted easier. The box should be sanded smooth prior to carpeting prob using 80 grit paper. I sprayed it black so i could see any imperfections.

box_carpet2.jpgbox_carpet1.jpg

Carpet was very fiddly to do. I started from the base and up over the front. I used spray adhesive to stick it , (waiting a for it to go tacky first) a little bit at a time, and stretching it to allow me to work ou how to fix it around the odd shaped curves.

boxcarpet3.jpgfinished.jpg

The he only part not carpeted was the back and a small part on the bottom left, as it will not be seen. It will be secured in onto the mdf floor

after the amp rack is made.

What do you reckon?? :shades::D

Edited by nfbr
Cleaned by: nfbr.