Pete's Built-Not-Bought GTI(s)

Pete

Cheers Skezza, I think it goes better with the black than the silver! 

Jon, I used my old ones so I'll let you keep that one as a memento! If you have the old engine/box I'd be interested tho! ?

Danyutz thanks mate, I took two very similar shots but they came out different! Both on my Instagram @Petegti.

20 minutes ago, jon_273 said:

I don't have the engine or box, you could always ask Chris what happened to it though? He might still have the engine.

I thought the engine went pop with the owner after him??

Great to see all the progress on this Pete, glad it's back! It was off to the scrap yard the week Mitch picked it up hence the state it was in when you got it so fair play to you for getting it back to where it is now.

It was still mine when the engine went, i turned it off when i got home one day and it just went with no warning at all. Got in it to go to work the next day and it wouldn't start, investigated a bit and discovered the auxilliary belt between the cams had slipped and bent 7 valves and snapped one in half which took a chunk out of the head. I'm going to put it on the garage wall as an ornament! Gearbox went to a guy on here, still got the paddle clutch which was decent.  

18 minutes ago, chris260 said:

Great to see all the progress on this Pete, glad it's back! It was off to the scrap yard the week Mitch picked it up hence the state it was in when you got it so fair play to you for getting it back to where it is now.

It was still mine when the engine went, i turned it off when i got home one day and it just went with no warning at all. Got in it to go to work the next day and it wouldn't start, investigated a bit and discovered the auxilliary belt between the cams had slipped and bent 7 valves and snapped one in half which took a chunk out of the head. I'm going to put it on the garage wall as an ornament! Gearbox went to a guy on here, still got the paddle clutch which was decent.  

Thanks Chris! Properly honoured you revisited and commented buddy. 

I've still got all the paperwork for it including all the dyno sheets, such a shame it let go coz I bet it was a right flyer!! 

I haven't included half the stuff that's gone into it going back to get and extra stuff I've had to source to get it all back to how it was i.e all the a/c stuff that was missing and pulley assembly etc but I feel it's a decent enough build thread, I always think if I blabber on too much ppl will get bored. 

Its a shame you're not on our whatsapp group chat, you would've seen everything from start to finish, all the good and the bad!! ?

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers for giving me a follow bud! Yeah it's virtually there looks-wise. A few little bits that won't be noticed to go and all the legal pooh but yeah, I'm quite pleased with it.

• 2 months later...

Pete mate, I do my 6 monthly (ish) lurk on here to see if my old BG02UTW is still about so really am totally gutted to hear that its come to it's demise. Spent many many hours on that car, remember the day I got it on the road-  it was wales v ireland 6 nations 2007 and 18 year old me thought I was the tits! Used to take the wheels off every weekend and toothbrush the insides :ph34r:

Care to drop me a PM to fill me in? 

Ah, I didn't realise this was your old one Penry! You used to have a private plate on though didn't you. Now you've got me looking back at photos from Edition 2007 and reminiscing...

• 7 months later...

Need to update this really at some point, not that there's much to update but got a few more pics of it, and maybe ditching the air too in favour of coils, still haven't decided yet tho...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, whilst I'm waiting for horizon 3 to update I may as well bring this up to date and again change it up from one car, to another, to other stuff too - why not indeed. 

So the lupo itself hasn't really changed, been washed a few times and blasted up and down the road to keep it in check but that's about it, however I have moved house, had a beautiful baby girl, bought a slightly bigger car and been getting that into shape, relocated a quaint little garden shed and started building a wooden workspace/garage in its place. So been quite busy with other stuff. Pics to follow in a bit as I'm all updated on horizon.

As I mentioned previously, I had the great honour of becoming an extremely proud father...

gc31rt.jpg

Say hi to Millie! ???

So with the arrival of a new squad member I had to look into getting a more family oriented vehicle. Unfortunately all sense flew out of the window whilst car shopping and although my choice is very economical and a decent boot size, well you'll see what I mean...

F24PLb.jpg

lle65b.jpg

9XpIqb.jpg

AzOS8R.jpg

And one of it with its friends.

2lR7N2.jpg

• Like 1

So new house, new baby, new car, how about a new garage? 

M1sWDN.jpg

As you can see, something was in the way.

OywmCb.jpg

This was probably the hardest bit, keeping the shed in one piece and moving it, up a steep ledge. ?

rjtJOA.jpg

But with a sack barrow, two trolley jacks, some wooden stakes, some square tubing and round tubing it happened, although my back has never been the same.

• Like 2