Alva - New engine and more paint problems

Amber_Nunny

Orly...? Good work with the engine, replacing everything ie tappets or just freeing them up?

Okay so maybe you did find them for me in the end Paul ;)

The tappets are fine, they've had enough clean oil to keep them okay but hopefully my oil useage will decrease from now ;)

Give em an overnight soaking in degreaser just for giggles as they're out and fettle em with some grips. These are oily engines anyways but not usually to the level you were using, should reduce the amount of crap on your boot!

I'll see what Adam says, he's the mechanic after all :)

Hopefully! Would make cleaning a lot easier :)

Why what's up with yours?

Same as Alva just burning a **** load of oil. Exhaust seems pretty steamy too so i'm thinking head gasket.

Same as Alva just burning a **** load of oil. Exhaust seems pretty steamy too so i'm thinking head gasket.

Sounds like you're going to have just as much fun as me then soon fixing that up.

c770fa4261c5347dcd03c818fecd1358.jpg

Alva sitting out in the snow, love how deep the snow is!

Are you changing the valve guides and stem seals? After rebuilding my 1.4 sport engine last year i would recommend replacing all the guides too as the valves had a fair bit of play in the guides (well mine did and it had only covered 58k). I only mention this as most people tend just to change the stem seals, whilst the head is off its a no brainer to change guides too, yeah u need 16 of them but there pretty cheap really. Sure your other half will have this covered though

Mike

Edited by Thissy

I'm currently having a dilemma.

Respray or air?

I'm more inclined to have the respray done as the cars off the road anyway and my guy can have it for as long as he wants rather than try to fit it in another time when I want to use it, plus my sills desperately need doing but then again, I love air....

Just looking for a few people's opinions :)

touch ups

Rapey.

He's probably right though. Would you respray it a different colour?

Would you respray it a different colour?

Nope I'd keep it Candy White.

My passenger side rear quarter needs painting and so does my bumper and bonnet plus my sills and roof need attention - that's why I'm considering having the whole car done. I don't think touch ups would do it :\

I'd say it depends what your main focus for the car is - show car = respray / daily = air

74810730-30FF-438B-A222-4132D507A4EC-978

A few minor updates:

Got hold of a mk5 golf boot lid and handle which is going to be used on Alva's boot - got to get rid of the standard ugly lupo boot handle

57F541D2-6E57-474A-9953-BCC4CEBCEE7C-267

Plus I've finally put on my new sport bumper

6E31E687-1EF6-4005-BFD4-0AE0B98942DA-978

Edited by Amber_Nunny

You may think I'm being a cock (and you'd be right) but if you're getting the headwork done then it really really really makes sense to do the valve guides whilst you're in there.

The car once done is only going to do minimal miles to shows and back and the occasional weekend run, so I will have whatever the engineer says needs to be done, but I won't be replacing what doesn't need to be replaced :)

So hypothetically if you were selling this in a few years the buyer might read this and see that it's had the bare minimum ?

If this is the case wouldn't it just be cheaper to play the gambling game and pick up another sport engine, give it a clean and slide it in ?

The engine has not had the bare minimum but if I start changing every part that doesn't need replacing I may as well go straight to VW and ask for a brand new engine? The car will get what it needs, even if it is not fully needed, and a few bits to pretty it up, why fix what doesn't in any way need fixing? Like I said, if it does need doing then it will be done :)

The bumper had had a small amount of filler work prior to me owning it and it resulted in a very small blemish in the finish so I thought as it wil be painted anyway I might as well get a new genuine bumper :)