Throttle Bodies on a GTI

v6yna

just wondered if anyone had done this as obviously its not a cable throttle body standerdly so just wondered if anyone has put them on, and how they solved this problem?

cheers austin

lincolnshire lupo did it, i did it to a polo gti unit in a lupo utilising stand alone management, im sure there is a way to utilise the motor but not sure the vw ecu would work effectively what with calibrating etc, linc lupo used other management too.

• 2 weeks later...

Video above :)

Badger5 may be a good shout - they do direct to head TBs so no need for an inlet mani

Defenatly speak to Badger5, but not about direct to head kits.

You can't go direct to head on a GTI engine.

The port spacings are 40mm-30mm-40mm, you either need to use an manifold or make something like the below, the ports need to be tampered out from 30mm to 40mm spacing for the centre two ports.

MVC00141.jpg

MVC00143.jpg

MVC00144.jpg

DSC00120.jpg

Lupo2203009copy.jpg

Do forgive me guys I don’t really know much about the throttle bodies.

I am right in thinking you can take off the standard manifold and throttle body and bolt on that piece of metal and the row of throttle bodies wire it all up and get a bit extra horse power?

Can buy the row of throttle bodies off the shelf or do you have to get them custom made?

Cheers,

In practice its not as easy as the theory unfortunately but in essence you are replacing the single butterfly valve with four individual butterfly valves.

This not only allows more airflow (and as such, fuel quantity) but also allows greater control for each cylinder.

Plus it makes lots of nice noises lol

First few years of the tread contains the throttle body info I picked up :lol:

Lupo GTI Turbo conversion

I've always wondered if/how the air gets filtered?

You get a long filter and create a kind of airbox around the top of the trumpets. http://www.pipercross.net/competition/products_px600.asp

You can also get mini cone filters to go on the ends! http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:6kc0Dvc32lbyKM:http://www.tzywen.com/photos/misc/ae111-01.jpg&t=1

Thank you. You must have to get that snug up against the trumpets for it to work effectively?

Nope, bigger gap the better. Airbox would be a much nicer idea, but there's a space issue I guess, as usual on a Lupo. :)

But if there's a gap can't the trumpets pull in unfiltered air?

He means the void encased within the filter around the TBs - its a bit technical but I think it allows more air to be drawn in due to pulsing or something?

He means the void encased within the filter around the TBs - its a bit technical but I think it allows more air to be drawn in due to pulsing or something?

Yeah thats right.