overheating, changed stat, what else?

evilonion

ok im a bit confused tbh.

My car overheated quite badly the opther week.

ive since changed the thermostat and seal and just ran the car to get the water flowing, the stst didnt open and the car overheated.

one side of pipework is hot, the rad and other side is cold, so its the stat not opening.

its a brand new stat so it cant be a fault with that, but what else could it be?

the last stat had a pin sticking all the way out of it through a hole in the middle of the housing.

above the hole was a little bit of plastic that had broken off.

does the pin push against this to open the stat?

if so, i can get a new housing but isnt this a weak point as the bit of plastic was only about 5mm thick?

if not.... any ideas?

other option for me is to just take the stat out for now but thats not exactly ideal.

i used to work in garage and went through 3 thermostats for a fiat punto before we were supplyed one that worked boil a kettle and hold the themostat in there with some long plyers see if it opens might be usefull to have a thermostat hope this helps

the vw should be a self bleeding system try running it with the expansion cap off for a few minutes

Did you "massage" the pipes when you changed the stat? If that doesn't work then just remove the stat completely and see how you get on? If it still overheats then sounds like water pump or blockage!

Your not losing coolant are you?

Edited by truCido

ive had self bleeding cars be a right pain to get rid of airlocks, sometimes jacking the front right up helps. also leave them over night with the caps off and when you check the level in the morning it has dropped atmospheric pressure must force the ait out. do these have the rubbish plastic blades on the pump?