Replacing Clutch

Hello, im going to be changing my clutch over the weekend ( in an earier post i had said i was going to get a local garage to do it, but on speaking to a guy in my work he recons its an easy enough job that can be done in around 4 hours, also gave me his phone number if im struggling), the car is a 1L E and i have bought a LUK clutch kit with Pressure Plate, Friction Plate and Release Bearing, he reconed it would be done in order of :

Release Clutch Cable

Drain Gearbox oil

Release selector from gearbox

Remove driver side drive shaft nuts - as to allow driveshaft to be taken out of flange

Release passenger side lower ball joint

Release engine monts and support engine

Move gearbox to side and take off from back of engine

Lower gearbox to expose flywheel with clutch assembly at back of engine

Remove release beaing inside of bell housing, noting direction it comes off in

Release pressure plate from flywheel, and remove it and friction plate

Clean face of flywheel and inspect for scoring

Frition plate is side specific when putting against flywheel

Put pressure plate on but only losely do up bolts to line up friction plate

Once aligned tighten up pressure plate bolts

Lift gearbox back onto shaft

Insert shaft into clutch splined fitting

Reassemble in reverse

Does this look correct, also is there any cables or anything that i should be looking to remove from gearbox housing before dropping ?

Any tips and help will be greatly appreciated as im hoping to get the car on the road for Monday.

Thanks David

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get it changed and it feels a whole lot better

Some things to note if anybody is going to be trying it themselfs,

Undo the hubnuts when the car is on the ground, DOH!

I was unable to get the box out without fully disconnecting the driveshafts, you will need a 12 spline m8 bit.

To centralise the clutch i bought a clutch cetralising tool. it was £16 from ebay and worth that to know eveything was straight to aid refitting.

Gearbox was being a little difficult to go on the last we bit, tip would be to pop it into gear at the selector rod and turn the drivshaft connections round a bit to turn the spline around to line it up.

Take the starter motor off.

There are 4 bolts that hold the bell housing/gearbox to the engine, there is one right at the back which is connected to an engine mount aswell and made for intersting removal as i could not access the engine mount above subframe to remove the engine mount, so just had to unscrew the bolt still connected to the mount.

Would highly reccomend putting a new gearbox seal on whilst you have it off and also you not only need a clutch kit but also a thrust bearing guide sleeve, the one on my car was completely mashed up, available from VW.

Any questions just ask :confused:

Hope this help anybody that is doing it themself.

• 7 years later...

Hello there, new to the club so bare with me. I have a 1.4 e lupo and its such a nice little car. coil overs, nice alloys and very fast for a car of that sort, i have other cars but this car means alot to me so when i started to hear a funny grinding noise i was worried. i was told that the noise means the gear box is gone but the car drives as normal. Now i'm a diy guy. ive changed the water pump, timing belts and tensioners before. What happen is, i start the car in neutral and you can hear the grinding noise. if i press in the clutch pedal the noise goes away but when i release the pedal the noise comes back. now, a mate of mine told me it was my clutch release bearing. i also spoke to few other guys which said the same thing. so i bought one at euro car parts. i would like to know if i can follow these guidelines and change the release bearing ? or if anybody has the right procedure to do this change. one of the biggest questions is, do u have to drain the oil to replace the clutch release bearing?  thanks alot for any help provided. 

to do the clutch release bearing, you need to remove the gearbox from the car, or both engine and box together and work on a bench... basically it goes between the engine and box, so you need to split them apart to get access.